Dark Horse Candidates and Surprise Cuts

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

No,.I really think you're missing it and you've been caught 3 times.

K… then my surprise cut is Josh Allen because it would the biggest surprise if he was cut.

4 hours ago, HiMark said:

MVS is too easy a target, I'm looking at the bottom end of the D-lines for my surprises and Dark Horses.

Javon Solomon, as a 5thrd pick, shouldn't be such a DH, but there is a crowded field in front of him.  Saw him on day 1, his arms are comic-book huge, and he has good low bend around the edge.  I expect him to push Smoot for playing time, ceiling is Max Crosby.

Surprise cut is DeShawn Williams.  Team might need to keep 6 DE, just because of talent.  Also, Sean will try to stash Gable on the PS to ready him as a 5th DT, so maybe we don't need a full-time 5th DT

Good candidates though I think it would take a lot to cut MVS.  Josh recruited him and he’s getting first team reps.  

I think Williams is definitely on the bubble.  

What will save Solomon is that he’s a 5th round pick with potential.  Beane hates cutting draft picks.  

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

He isn’t horrible.  But he doesn’t make many game changing plays either.  After this many years, he understands the Bills defense and must be decent on special teams.  But there must be some upside to keep a guy on an NFL roster.  I have never liked McDermott’s philosophy of keeping guys primarily for special teams.  They should have some value as backups on O and D too. I think of Siran Neal and Tyler Matekevich.  What a waste.  They could not really play D.  And they were meh on ST’s and Neal was worse than that at the end.     I hope the bottom of the roster is stronger going forward.  I think it will be.  

Right now Cam Lewis is our number 1 slot depth. That’s more of his natural position. He’s played every DB position though. The Justin Jefferson play we all remember he was playing safety.

He’s not really special teams depth. He’s a key player. I don’t see any other slot depth on the roster. He’s a roster lock.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

K… then my surprise cut is Josh Allen because it would the biggest surprise if he was cut.

I thought we agreed that's more ridiculous than saying Hollins but then you did it again.  I get it. You can't think of someone that most believe will make the team, yet will be a surprise cut without being snarky.

On 7/28/2024 at 1:05 AM, White Linen said:

Hence it may be a surprise.  Pretty clear I wasn't arguing for or against Hollins getting cut. 

Josh Allen would be a surprise cut.  So would Ed Oliver.  Mack Hollins is not getting cut, so it would be foolish to speculate 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Josh Allen would be a surprise cut.  So would Ed Oliver.  Mack Hollins is not getting cut, so it would be foolish to speculate 

What's foolish is to argue Hollins is as secure as Allen and Oliver.  Not only from a playing standpoint but also contractually.  Your view is more extreme than the OP, yet you think that's acceptable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What's foolish is to argue Hollins is as secure as Allen and Oliver.  Not only from a playing standpoint but also contractually.  Your view is more extreme than the OP, yet you think that's acceptable.

Not equating talent- all 3 have zero percentage of being cut.  That’s a fact, Jack

Just now, Pete said:

Not equating talent- all 3 have zero percentage of being cut.  That’s a fact, Jack

I wasn't arguing for or against Hollins and I think it's reasonable to say he'd be a "surprise cut".  Bringing up Allen and Oliver as counter arguments against the OP is foolish, Jack.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I used the same exact example you did.  Hollins is not getting cut, so just like Allen or Oliver he’s not even candidate for this topic.

It sure sounds like Tyrell Shavers may be a surprise roster candidate and MVS may be a surprise cut.

The former has apparently been quite a standout so far in camp (see coach McDermott's comments from today) and the latter has apparently been pretty invisible and slipping down the depth chart.

I don't think ANYONE had "Shavers makes roster over MVS" on the Bingo card, so if it happens, it'd qualify as quite a shock.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't see any "surprise" cuts worth mentioning.  Will there be one or two new guys taking some depth spots, yes there is a chance.

I'll wait until camp and the preseason games are done to see if there truly is a DHC.

Browning over Martin is probable.

Collins getting cut for a younger guy would not be surprising.

I see both Hollins and MVS making the team and the fight will be for WR6 with a WR7 going on the PS to start the season, (like last year).

Cam Lewis cut might happen, but if it does it will be because Hardy (or someone else) is looking too good and excelling on ST. 

The battles are really for the top PS spots.

I'm editing my own post.  MVS is currently on the bubble.

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

It sure sounds like Tyrell Shavers may be a surprise roster candidate and MVS may be a surprise cut.

The former has apparently been quite a standout so far in camp (see coach McDermott's comments from today) and the latter has apparently been pretty invisible and slipping down the depth chart.

I don't think ANYONE had "Shavers makes roster over MVS" on the Bingo card, so if it happens, it'd qualify as quite a shock.

Shavers is making roster over MVS

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Shavers is making roster over MVS

It's trending that way right now, but there have only been four practices, todays was the first day in pads, and there haven't been any preseason games yet.

I'm not prepared to call this one already.

• Like (+1) 1

On July 11th in the surprise cut thread I said MVS will not make the team and boy I some peoples panties in a wad.  Let's say I'm not surprised that opinion on him are shifting in my direction.  

The guy is a 50% pass receiver for his career.  He should never have been signed and paying him 2.25 guaranteed was Beane's biggest mistake this off-season.   

Not sure if I'm off-base here, but why is Shavers vs MVS being talked about as an either/or? 

Coleman, Shakir, and Samuel are looking like locks for the top 3, and Mack Hollins is looking like a roster lock and probably active every week he's healthy.  That leaves probably 2 roster spots for WRs - there's a very slim chance they keep 7, and I'd be really suprised if they only kept 5.  MVS is probably getting one of those spots as a veteran and proven deep-playoff contributor, unless there are 2 guys who impress so much that the Bills have to cut MVS.

Maybe Shavers is one of the two, but if so, who's the other one?

DH Makes it: OL Tylan Grable - Athletic Freak, won't risk losing

DH Cut: S Mike Edwards - Bishop wins the job, Hamlin shows enough to be backup, Cam Lewis is 4th...Hyde is around for break glass in emergency

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I can't claim I called Shavers making the roster, but back in April I ID'd him as most likely dark horse candidate of our non-rookie WR room:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cash said:

I can't claim I called Shavers making the roster, but back in April I ID'd him as most likely dark horse candidate of our non-rookie WR room:

Nice!

Personally, the way I'm wired, I'd always rather see a longshot guy with potential and great physical talent like Shavers make the roster over a career JAG like MVS.

Shavers is 6'4", with a lean and tapered frame. Reports are that he's running good routes, catching the ball well, and that he knows all three WR spots AND excels on special teams. McDermott says he's Mr Consistency and Mr Work Ethic.

I'd rather take a shot on a guy like that all day -- particularly one that plays special teams, which is a pretty important thing for a WR5 to be able to do -- than keep MVS on the roster solely because of his veteran experience. 

By all means, let the best man win. If MVS outplays Shavers, then so be it. But if Shavers is playing better, or even if it's a tie, you go with the youngster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2