Dark Horse Candidates and Surprise Cuts

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

How is Hollins ascending?

He's this years Kumerow. He will offer next to nothing in pass game.

What's wrong with a group of big WRs for a change? Larger catch radius and maybe better chance at 50/50 balls. Shakir and Samuel are fine in the smaller WR role. 

All that said if it came down to MVS vs Claypool I think I'd take my chances on a reborn Claypool. Hopefully they keep both. 

I'd rather they keep an extra WR and carry one less safety. They can sign Hyde in a heart beat if they get thin at safety during the year.

Joe Brady said Hollins is one of his favorite people he has met in his life.  Have you heard Josh talk about Hollins?  Do you know nothing about Hollins besides his size?

Tyrone Shavers makes the team IMO.  Every time I hear coach speak about Shavers they speak highly of him.  Shavers has size at WR and is a ST beast

I believe Travis Clayton makes the team too

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Just need to check. Ascending means going up right?

His best year was 2022 and that was a complete outlier season. In every other season including 2023 he had less than 20 catches. He is 30 years old. Isn't that the age when WR break down? 

I think he will make the team and my guess is he will be a better version of what Kumerow was. He will catch 10-15 balls and be an elite blocking WR. Valuable player on the team but little to no impact in passing game. 

Do you really not know what Matt Parrino, and others mean by an ascending player in this context?

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Joe Brady said Hollins is one of his favorite people he has met in his life.  Have you heard Josh talk about Hollins?  Do you know nothing about Hollins besides his size?

Tyrone Shavers makes the team IMO.  Every time I hear coach speak about Shavers they speak highly of him.  Shavers has size at WR and is a ST beast

I believe Travis Clayton makes the team too

What does being a fav person have to do with catching the football?

Josh said the same things about Kumerow

I know he had one breakout season in an otherwise nondescript career. He's 30 years old, supposedly excellent blocker, has a guaranteed cheap contract and probably makes the team as a 6th WR role player. 

He's a more credible threat in pass game than Kumerow was but in the end he is a back of the roster guy that won't make many plays. He will get a bunch of snaps as a blocking WR. 

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Do you really not know what Matt Parrino, and others mean by an ascending player in this context?

No I don't.  Going from 8th to 6th on the depth chart? I seriously have no idea what he means by an ascending 30 year old WR who had a 70% drop off in production from 2022 to 2023. 

Josh is walking barefoot in the gym now.  Several Bills players are going barefoot now.  Hollins is first in, working harder, stays after, works out and then signs for fans.  He is a core special teamer.  Gigantic wingspan.  Elite hands, excellent catch rate.  Tenacious blocker.  Believes anyone draft in the first rounds is soft.  Vocal leader at camp- everyone respects the ***** out of Hollins

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Except Hollins has produced,  just in 22 he had 60 rec and almost 700 yards , 4 TDs, is considered an elite blocking WR and a leader. 

Kumerow has under 500 yards his entire career, massive difference in skill level 

easy choice there

Hollins ftw

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No I don't.  Going from 8th to 6th on the depth chart? I seriously have no idea what he means by an ascending 30 year old WR who had a 70% drop off in production from 2022 to 2023. 

Frankly, this seems disingenuous to me, but I don't mind 'splaining it... 

In this context, "ascending" during training camp is often used to refer to a player whose stock is rising in the eyes of the coaches. Going from 8th to 6th would certainly be considered "Ascending." But, to anyone paying attention, it's probably clear that Hollins started TC as the likely fourth WR on the coaches white board-- fifth at the lowest. And while I don't believe for an instant that he has moved up the depth chart above #4 or #5, I think it is reasonable to believe that in the brief, three days of TC, so far he has solidified his position ahead of those behind him, in the coaches eyes. In other words, since arriving at St. John Fischer, he has increased the probability that he will be on the 53-- hence, the term "ascending."

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Josh is walking barefoot in the gym now.  Several Bills players are going barefoot now.  Hollins is first in, working harder, stays after, works out and then signs for fans.  He is a core special teamer.  Gigantic wingspan.  Elite hands, excellent catch rate.  Tenacious blocker.  Believes anyone draft in the first rounds is soft.  Vocal leader at camp- everyone respects the ***** out of Hollins

Great. Now there's going to be an athlete's foot epidemic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My surprise cut will be Cam Lewis. This guy never makes a play. I know they brought him back but if the kid from Utah can start that means he is the fourth safety on the team. And if Elam can push Benford for reps then you can get rid of Lewis and let Benford play safety in the dime package. 

I don’t think Cam Lewis qualifies as a surprise cut. 

Just now, pennstate10 said:

I don’t think Cam Lewis qualifies as a surprise cut. 

The thing about Cam Lewis is that he can do a little bit of many things, but none of them exceptionally well-- with the possibility of ST, in which he isn't elite, but very good. He can spell all five positions at DB-- CB, NCB, and safety. But, it's always a bit of a disappointment, and offenses will attack him immediately, when they see him out there. He's not starting quality at any of those positions, and he'll never command anywhere near a top-end contract. But, he's obviously athletic, and versatile, a vet presence on a young defense, and a Buffalo product. It's good to have guys like that on the team, and he'll always be cheap (albeit for good reason). That's a lot of value for a bargain basement price. He's not a JAG. He's a JIC (just in case). 

For me, it would qualify as a surprise cut.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

How do you know this?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I've seen some mention of Hamler. Didn't hear much about him the first few days of camp. Seems like he's about the only WR that didn't flash.

Honestly, in terms of his skillset, and the type of role he might play, it's not unlikely that Isabella entered TC with a leg up on him. It's early, of course. But that's who I would think would be his main competition. And I'm not sure he did much to pull ahead of him. When it comes right down to it, if there are six WRs on the roster, it's not necessarily going to be the best six out there. It's going to be who best fills the roles they need filled. 

Surprise cut is La’el Collins, a 30-year-old offensive tackle, signed a one-year deal with the Buffalo Bills in April. He is not moving well in camp according reports and getting reps at guard. Richard Gouraige And Alec Anderson will round out the tackles just fine. Will Clapp plays guard and center. 

Darkhorse will be Keni H Lovely, defense back with some swagger. They won’t need a worn out vet from some other team with Daequan Hardy and this kid. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The only comparisons between Hollins and Kumerow is that they both block well for a WR and can play special teams.  

Hollins is an established veteran that has been more productive as a reserve WR whereas Kumerow was a fringe roster player.  

All reports from SJFU has been that Hollins is getting a lot of reps with the first team offense.  He’s also been praised for his leadership by McDermott, Allen and Brady.  

Hollis is a safe bet at WR.  

I'm not saying I think he will or want Hollins to get cut but I think the spirit of the thread is "surprise cuts".  Based on even what you said, it would be a surprise.

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Hollins is a captain with the way people are speaking about him

I’d be shocked if Hollins is not a captain.  

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

How do you know this?

Josh’s own words

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'm not saying I think he will or want Hollins to get cut but I think the spirit of the thread is "surprise cuts".  Based on even what you said, it would be a surprise.

Of course it would be a surprise.  It would also be a surprised if Josh Allen was cut but that’s not happening.

Obviously, Hollins is not the same situation.  But there has been zero evidence to suggest that he’s a potential cut or on the roster bubble? 

Why would you cut a player that’s getting first team reps, is a locker room leader, and has been highly spoken of by QB, HC and OC?

• Agree 1