Dark Horse Candidates and Surprise Cuts

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

The thing about Cam Lewis is that he can do a little bit of many things, but none of them exceptionally well-- with the possibility of ST, in which he isn't elite, but very good. He can spell all five positions at DB-- CB, NCB, and safety. But, it's always a bit of a disappointment, and offenses will attack him immediately, when they see him out there. He's not starting quality at any of those positions, and he'll never command anywhere near a top-end contract. But, he's obviously athletic, and versatile, a vet presence on a young defense, and a Buffalo product. It's good to have guys like that on the team, and he'll always be cheap (albeit for good reason). That's a lot of value for a bargain basement price. He's not a JAG. He's a JIC (just in case). 

For me, it would qualify as a surprise cut.

Yup, Cam definitely sucks at several important positions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Of course it would be a surprise.  It would also be a surprised if Josh Allen was cut but that’s not happening.

Obviously, Hollins is not the same situation.  But there has been zero evidence to suggest that he’s a potential cut or on the roster bubble? 

Why would you cut a player that’s getting first team reps, is a locker room leader, and has been highly spoken of by QB, HC and OC?

Hence it may be a surprise.  Pretty clear I wasn't arguing for or against Hollins getting cut. 

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Hence it may be a surprise.  Pretty clear I wasn't arguing for or against Hollins getting cut. 

Ok but you’re missing the point of this thread.    It should be surprise candidates that might actually get cut.  Hollins does not appear to be one of them

19 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

My darkest of dark horses is Travis Clayton, and that's only because I harbor this fantasy of him being used as a sixth lineman, and eligible receiver, in those Jumbo packages that Brady seems to love. Of course, Clayton doesn't actually know how to play the position for which he was signed. But, as an extremely athletic pro rugby player, he does know how to catch, and run with a ball. How much fun would that be?

Who do people have as their DHCs, and surprise cuts?

Travis Clayton is less a reach to make the team than you think.  His status allows us to carry him as a 54th roster spot.

So, now the question becomes, will we ever activate him?  I too envision him in the David Edwards 6th lineman/giant TE role from last year. Could be exciting. 

Step 1, keep Steve Buchele from getting killed in pre-season!

14 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

I don’t think Cam Lewis qualifies as a surprise cut. 

I was watching the Netflix Receivers series and they just had to show that Justin Jefferson catch where Lewis should’ve knocked it down instead of trying to catch it.  He should be cut just because of that.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I was watching the Netflix Receivers series and they just had to show that Justin Jefferson catch where Lewis should’ve knocked it down instead of trying to catch it.  He should be cut just because of that.

Cam plays every DB position. He doesn’t play them good but he’s decent enough that he makes sense to keep on the roster.

I thought he improved last year.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cam plays every DB position. He doesn’t play them good but he’s decent enough that he makes sense to keep on the roster.

So he’s not good at any position he plays so that justifies a roster spot on an NFL team?  Interesting 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't remember Cam last year much at all, which means he was either on the bench or improved, I am not going to research which though. 

MVS is too easy a target, I'm looking at the bottom end of the D-lines for my surprises and Dark Horses.

Javon Solomon, as a 5thrd pick, shouldn't be such a DH, but there is a crowded field in front of him.  Saw him on day 1, his arms are comic-book huge, and he has good low bend around the edge.  I expect him to push Smoot for playing time, ceiling is Max Crosby.

Surprise cut is DeShawn Williams.  Team might need to keep 6 DE, just because of talent.  Also, Sean will try to stash Gable on the PS to ready him as a 5th DT, so maybe we don't need a full-time 5th DT

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

So he’s not good at any position he plays so that justifies a roster spot on an NFL team?  Interesting 

It's unrealistic to think that there are going to be 53 starting quality players on the roster. Every team has backup level players. If you have one that plays multiple positions with some level of competence, then that has value. Plus ST, of course. And Cam Lewis even occasionally makes plays.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My dark horse candidate since April has been Frank Gore Jr and I'll stick with it.

I agree here I think he at minimum finds his way to the practice squad

18 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My surprise cut will be Cam Lewis. This guy never makes a play. I know they brought him back but if the kid from Utah can start that means he is the fourth safety on the team. And if Elam can push Benford for reps then you can get rid of Lewis and let Benford play safety in the dime package. 

Don't disagree here....

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Ok but you’re missing the point of this thread.    It should be surprise candidates that might actually get cut.  Hollins does not appear to be one of them

No,.I really think you're missing it and you've been caught 3 times.

21 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Except Hollins has produced,  just in 22 he had 60 rec and almost 700 yards , 4 TDs, is considered an elite blocking WR and a leader. 

Kumerow has under 500 yards his entire career, massive difference in skill level 

That’s very selective. Hollins has been in the league since 2017. Hit total receiving yards is 1,691. You reference his best season - 2022 when he had 690 yards. His second best season was 2023 when he had 251 yards. I think he will be in Buffalo as a depth piece this season. He is an athletically limited pro who can be counted on to know his responsibilities. That’s worth something. But I don’t see him making any kind of positive difference on this team. At least not on the stat sheet. Maybe in the locker room tho. 

Hollin’s STATS

Edited by BarleyNY

Ryan VanDeMark is one I could see being a surprise cut or trade. I really like him actually but they drafted Grable and RVD has to prove he can play RT at a competent level or he has no position flex

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

Surprise cut is La’el Collins, a 30-year-old offensive tackle, signed a one-year deal with the Buffalo Bills in April. He is not moving well in camp according reports and getting reps at guard. Richard Gouraige And Alec Anderson will round out the tackles just fine. Will Clapp plays guard and center. 

Darkhorse will be Keni H Lovely, defense back with some swagger. They won’t need a worn out vet from some other team with Daequan Hardy and this kid. 

Collins is a big name and was quite a good player, so I get why you’d name him a surprise cut. But he sure seems cooked at this point. I’d be shocked if he makes the roster. 

21 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

How is Hollins ascending?

He's this years Kumerow. He will offer next to nothing in pass game.

What's wrong with a group of big WRs for a change? Larger catch radius and maybe better chance at 50/50 balls. Shakir and Samuel are fine in the smaller WR role. 

All that said if it came down to MVS vs Claypool I think I'd take my chances on a reborn Claypool. Hopefully they keep both. 

I'd rather they keep an extra WR and carry one less safety. They can sign Hyde in a heart beat if they get thin at safety during the year.

From all reports Hollins is having a strong camp so far and has turned into somewhat of a leader since coming to the team.  I will be very happy w a WR group of Shakir Coleman MVS Samuel Hollins and Claypool.  Shavers and Hamler can go on the PS if they have any game.  It’s a much deeper group than last year.  Beane knew what he was doing getting rid of Diggs and Davis.  Our roster is loaded.  And if the defense stays reasonably healthy, we are in the top 4-5 teams in the NFL again.  

I am so excited!  Let’s go Bills. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He isn’t horrible.  But he doesn’t make many game changing plays either.  After this many years, he understands the Bills defense and must be decent on special teams.  But there must be some upside to keep a guy on an NFL roster.  I have never liked McDermott’s philosophy of keeping guys primarily for special teams.  They should have some value as backups on O and D too. I think of Siran Neal and Tyler Matekevich.  What a waste.  They could not really play D.  And they were meh on ST’s and Neal was worse than that at the end.     I hope the bottom of the roster is stronger going forward.  I think it will be.  

16 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

How do you know this?

It was a story on ch7 sports this morning, probably copied from yesterday's sports as that post is like 16 hours old

All that said, everyone is great in July. Let's see September 

I don't see any "surprise" cuts worth mentioning.  Will there be one or two new guys taking some depth spots, yes there is a chance.

I'll wait until camp and the preseason games are done to see if there truly is a DHC.

Browning over Martin is probable.

Collins getting cut for a younger guy would not be surprising.

I see both Hollins and MVS making the team and the fight will be for WR6 with a WR7 going on the PS to start the season, (like last year).

Cam Lewis cut might happen, but if it does it will be because Hardy (or someone else) is looking too good and excelling on ST. 

The battles are really for the top PS spots.

20 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My surprise cut will be Cam Lewis. This guy never makes a play. I know they brought him back but if the kid from Utah can start that means he is the fourth safety on the team. And if Elam can push Benford for reps then you can get rid of Lewis and let Benford play safety in the dime package. 

Regrettably, Benford can't seem to stay on the field.  Injury prone, hasn't played a full season for the Bills I think.  so, counting him in multiple roles piles risk on risk.