Dark Horse Candidates and Surprise Cuts

There have been a lot of dark horse candidates (DHCs), and a few surprise cut predictions thrown out there over the offseason. Now that we're three days into training camp, I'm wondering where such thoughts lie for the 53? There's always a few surprises.

Earlier this season, I had KJ Hamler as a DHC, but my thoughts are shifting towards Tyrell Shavers. When we signed him last season as a UDFA, and put him on the PS, it was for his ST acumen-- he had been described as a special teams ace by scouts. And after losing Siran Neal, and Matekevich, there is a need. And he's gotten a few mentions this past week, for making some nice grabs. 

My surprise cut candidate hasn't really changed-- MVS. There are currently six WRs on the roster who are 6'4", and if the Bills keep four of them (which would be surprisingly redundant), the ones not named Keon Coleman will need to play ST. MVS doesn't. They will also have to have exceptionally reliable hands. MVS doesn't. I've been flamed for this opinion earlier this offseason, and I get it. He certainly has a playoff pedigree, and a $2M dead cap hit they would have to eat. But with Coleman, and Mack Hollins ascending, MVS's role becomes reduced.

My darkest of dark horses is Travis Clayton, and that's only because I harbor this fantasy of him being used as a sixth lineman, and eligible receiver, in those Jumbo packages that Brady seems to love. Of course, Clayton doesn't actually know how to play the position for which he was signed. But, as an extremely athletic pro rugby player, he does know how to catch, and run with a ball. How much fun would that be?

Who do people have as their DHCs, and surprise cuts?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

There have been a lot of dark horse candidates (DHCs), and a few surprise cut predictions thrown out there over the offseason. Now that we're three days into training camp, I'm wondering where such thoughts lie for the 53? There's always a few surprises.

Earlier this season, I had KJ Hamler as a DHC, but my thoughts are shifting towards Tyrell Shavers. When we signed him last season as a UDFA, and put him on the PS, it was for his ST acumen-- he had been described as a special teams ace by scouts. And after losing Siran Neal, and Matekevich, there is a need. And he's gotten a few mentions this past week, for making some nice grabs. 

My surprise cut candidate hasn't really changed-- MVS. There are currently six WRs on the roster who are 6'4", and if the Bills keep four of them (which would be surprisingly redundant), the ones not named Keon Coleman will need to play ST. MVS doesn't. They will also have to have exceptionally reliable hands. MVS doesn't. I've been flamed for this opinion earlier this offseason, and I get it. He certainly has a playoff pedigree, and a $2M dead cap hit they would have to eat. But with Coleman, and Mack Hollins ascending, MVS's role becomes reduced.

My darkest of dark horses is Travis Clayton, and that's only because I harbor this fantasy of him being used as a sixth lineman, and eligible receiver, in those Jumbo packages that Brady seems to love. Of course, Clayton doesn't actually know how to play the position for which he was signed. But, as an extremely athletic pro rugby player, he does know how to catch, and run with a ball. How much fun would that be?

So I know people are really liking him right now, but I actually think Mack Hollins is a candidate to get cut. Admittedly he’s don’t know a ton about him, and maybe he is a special teams guy (which obviously the Bills love) but outside of one season where he caught almost 60 balls, he hasn’t done much. At 30 years old as well, I’m not sure what he does that stands out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 9

How is Hollins ascending?

He's this years Kumerow. He will offer next to nothing in pass game.

What's wrong with a group of big WRs for a change? Larger catch radius and maybe better chance at 50/50 balls. Shakir and Samuel are fine in the smaller WR role. 

All that said if it came down to MVS vs Claypool I think I'd take my chances on a reborn Claypool. Hopefully they keep both. 

I'd rather they keep an extra WR and carry one less safety. They can sign Hyde in a heart beat if they get thin at safety during the year.

• Disagree 6
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What's wrong with a group of big WRs for a change? Larger catch radius and maybe better chance at 50/50 balls. Shakir and Samuel are fine in the smaller WR role. 

All that said if it came down to MVS vs Claypool I think I'd take my chances on a reborn Claypool. Hopefully they keep both. 

I'd rather they keep an extra WR and carry one less safety. They can sign Hyde in a heart beat if they get thin at safety during the year.

Except Hollins has produced,  just in 22 he had 60 rec and almost 700 yards , 4 TDs, is considered an elite blocking WR and a leader. 

Kumerow has under 500 yards his entire career, massive difference in skill level 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So I know people are really liking him right now, but I actually think Mack Hollins is a candidate to get cut. Admittedly he’s don’t know a ton about him, and maybe he is a special teams guy (which obviously the Bills love) but outside of one season where he caught almost 60 balls, he hasn’t done much. At 30 years old as well, I’m not sure what he does that stands out 

Hollins would be a surprise cut. But, he's not at the point of being a lock, IMO. My thoughts have generally been: Hollins-MVS-Claypool... pick two. 

Hollins has gotten a ton of buzz before TC, with both Beane, and Allen bringing up his name multiple times during press conferences. And he's made notable plays in TC, and continues to impress people. Claypool seems to be bending over backwards to behave himself, including working out with special teams-- and that really is important for depth players. But as far as their current on-field performances, I feel like we've heard more about Hollins making plays, and both Claypool, and MVS have been a bit quieter.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

This is a pretty lazy assessment of Hollins. Several analysts, including Matt Parrino, have used that exact word, "ascending," to describe him. There's really not much, other than size, and ST play, to compare Hollins to Kumerow. Hollins is also an exceptional down-field blocker. Do you really think that offers "next to nothing in the pass game," especially on a team that runs so many bunch formations, and WR screens?

As far as a group of big WRs, there will almost certainly be three on the roster. If there are four, at least two of them will be playing ST. Hollins exceptional ST play puts him high on the list of consideration. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

That's great stuff.  Makes a lot of sense.  

I'm not following the roster closely enough to be able to evaluate the talent, but I do have to say that MVS's story, the theme of which is "inconsistent talent," has a ring of truth to it.  And what the Bills want is consistent talent.  That's the theme for Coleman and Samuel and Shakir.  So, yes, I get it.  

Shavers?  I don't know enough to have a point of view.

Clayton?  I had a different darkest-of-dark-horse story for Clayton, and that is special teams.  We haven't seen it in action yet, but the new kickoff rules value big, quick guys who are violent at random points of attack.  So, having an athletic rugby player who likes to hit people, whether kicking or receiving, is an asset.  And he's on more or less the same learning curve as all the other guys.  If he can play kickoffs, then teach him to cover punts.  Of course, that might be a dozen reasons why he just can't get up to speed - I get that, but he's  a guy who actually could be a surprise winner. 

• Like (+1) 2

Despite all the hype, I think Claypool has almost no shot of making the team. He is certainly on the outside looking in.

Anyone thinking that Hollins is not making the team just isn't paying attention. He is loved by everyone, a huge special teams contributor, and can actually produce in the offense as a receiver and a blocker. He is a lock.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

This is a pretty lazy assessment of Hollins. Several analysts, including Matt Parrino, have used that exact word, "ascending," to describe him. There's really not much, other than size, and ST play, to compare Hollins to Kumerow. Hollins is also an exceptional down-field blocker. Do you really think that offers "next to nothing in the pass game," especially on a team that runs so many bunch formations, and WR screens?

As far as a group of big WRs, there will almost certainly be three on the roster. If there are four, at least two of them will be playing ST. Hollins exceptional ST play puts him high on the list of consideration. 

The only comparisons between Hollins and Kumerow is that they both block well for a WR and can play special teams.  

Hollins is an established veteran that has been more productive as a reserve WR whereas Kumerow was a fringe roster player.  

All reports from SJFU has been that Hollins is getting a lot of reps with the first team offense.  He’s also been praised for his leadership by McDermott, Allen and Brady.  

Hollis is a safe bet at WR.  

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Undeniable locks: Samuel,Shakir,Coleman.

I feel 4/5 are MVS and Hollins.  As others states,Hollins can block and put up stats.  MVS has built a good bond with Josh already and comes up clutch in the playoffs. The latter is something seriously lacking the last few years.

The rest are fighting for the 6th spot and I see that going to a returner. 

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Isnt Hollins mostly a Special Teams guy?

IMO he's here to replace the Taiwan Jones/Tyler Matakevich type guys. Should get very few reps at WR unless things go south with injuries. Should get a ton of work on STs.

I think that makes him almost a lock to make the team. We need vet leadership on STs. And just like we carried an "extra" RB with Taiwan Jones, Hollins will be the extra WR (who hopefully never plays WR).

edit: So I guess with that being said, Hollins would be my surprise cut :D

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Hollins is as close to a lock at this point as it gets.  He will be on the roster, he will play snaps at WR because he is both a credible WR and excellent blocker…and he will be a ST Captain 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Follow the dots...Chad Kelly's CFL suspension is projected to be over by August 22.  Watch for high level meetings between the Argos and Bills.  There's not a darker dark horse kicking around. 😁

Admit it, 40% of ya will be clamouring for Kelly to be the starter. 🤨

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Just need to check. Ascending means going up right?

His best year was 2022 and that was a complete outlier season. In every other season including 2023 he had less than 20 catches. He is 30 years old. Isn't that the age when WR break down? 

I think he will make the team and my guess is he will be a better version of what Kumerow was. He will catch 10-15 balls and be an elite blocking WR. Valuable player on the team but little to no impact in passing game. 

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

My Dark Horse candidate is going to be what could be the ultimate story ! Local Joe Andreesen the local UB player that the Bills brought in on a try out basis at the LBer position . 

Not sure about the cut player if Claypool does what he has in the past & doesn't bring it on the field i think it might be him . I hope they don't just keep him around like they did the other WR they brought in from Miami last season . 

Roster spots will be at a premium this season and McD has a lot to choose from . 

• Like (+1) 1

My surprise cut will be Cam Lewis. This guy never makes a play. I know they brought him back but if the kid from Utah can start that means he is the fourth safety on the team. And if Elam can push Benford for reps then you can get rid of Lewis and let Benford play safety in the dime package. 

• Like (+1) 1

My dark horse is Tylan Grable. His physical tools are off the charts but he needs some spit and polish. He’s a mountain of a man and a nice project on the side for Kromer. He may develop into a starter in 1-2 years at OG or RT.