Jordan Love 4 yrs 220 million

11 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Pretty sure players get 48 percent of all revenue per the cba. Not 48 percent of just tv revenue. Maybe the bulk doesn't come from tickets but to say none of it is wrong. I get how it works. However the average guy like a said in my original post isn't obsessed about how it all works they see the numbers  the players and correlate that to the cost to go to a game and find it ridiculous. 

So basically you are saying the average guy doesn't understand the difference between correlation and causation.   Well, that is probably correct.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Just my opinion of course, but I feel like the QB pay scale is utterly divorced from reality on the field, which is obvious when there is almost no correlation to what the actual best QB’s are making—the only litmus test appears to be “what did the last deal look like so we have to beat that.” Will that model remain sustainable over time, and second, how does this not impact the value of striking long term deals where player dissatisfaction almost guarantees such K’s will never be played out to the end? 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

It's a QB driven league, but these contracts are nearly out of control. With that said, I'd take Jordan Love over Tua any day. We've seen Tua's ceiling. I don't think we've seen Love's ceiling yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

It's a QB driven league, but these contracts are nearly out of control. With that said, I'd take Jordan Love over Tua any day. We've seen Tua's ceiling. I don't think we've seen Love's ceiling yet. 

Agree. I can imagine a world where in two years time people are talking about Love as in the elite bracket. His 2nd half of last season was pretty close to elite level Quarterbacking. Not sure we have ever seen that from Tua.

13 hours ago, Whkfc said:

At what point does the crazy salaries turn off the average fan?

I think that already happened.  I hear casuals bring that up all the time.  

43 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

So basically you are saying the average guy doesn't understand the difference between correlation and causation.   Well, that is probably correct.

Insufferable

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Since they are both repped by the same agency, signed their deal within hours....

You are building a team. You can select Tua or Love, who do you take?

Love easily. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

We are the freaks. The average fans doesn't even understand cap hits and how dead cap works. They don't study the cba and revenue sharing. I'm asking like the guy next door to me who says the money is ridiculous and ***** he just can't go anymore or thinks he will never be able to see a game in the new stadium. I just wanted people's opinions wasn't really looking to get insulted.

People point out, correctly, that Love has had just one season as a starter.  But we should remember that the Packers have been watching him develop for several years.  They know what they've got.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

You are building a team. You can select Tua or Love, who do you take?

I'm just sooooo glad we didn't have to make that choice ha ha. JA17 beats them any given Sunday, or Monday, or Thursday

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MJS said:

Only because he is in the NFC. That wouldn't fly in the AFC with all the elite QB's.

Agreed. McDaniels runs the same system in Miami. They've had great skill players, a great defense, and a game-manager type QB...but to no avail.

15 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Pretty sure players get 48 percent of all revenue per the cba. Not 48 percent of just tv revenue. Maybe the bulk doesn't come from tickets but to say none of it is wrong. I get how it works. However the average guy like a said in my original post isn't obsessed about how it all works they see the numbers  the players and correlate that to the cost to go to a game and find it ridiculous. 

You're saying the average fan is an idiot.

Cool Cool Cool Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

5 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah but Tua and Jordan Love are making more money than Allen. And we know Allen is the much better player. To me, love needs at least another year and Tua is nowhere near worth it

Which is hilarious.  Love had a stretch of games that Tua never had and has a higher ceiling.  The Packers know him better than anyone and were willing to give him the contract despite the small sample size.  I highly doubt they regret it imo.

Surely it's a QB driven league but paying top dollar for QBs who haven't earned it is just plain stupid. The QB salaries are insane, but then so are those for WRs of late. They should get paid but at the expense of the rest of the team? Nah!!!!

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Agreed. McDaniels runs the same system in Miami. They've had great skill players, a great defense, and a game-manager type QB...but to no avail.

Not sure they have had a great defense, but I take your point. And indeed SFs defense may feel better to us because it plays all those crap NFC offenses 12/17 games.

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Because he’s worth what he gets and will get. The worst thing is to have a QB making elite money that’s not elite. 

Nobody is worth that.

But the NFL is so puking rich and getting more so each day

The players getting paid is what I am about

Now lets get the salary for Guards and FBs up to a living wage !

8 hours ago, Steptide said:

This just screams epic let down season coming Imo. I mean, maybe he's that good, but 220 million good? I dunno

Market rules

No wonder the world gets unbalanced lol

Good for him and his Family for real. :)

On 7/27/2024 at 10:12 AM, TBBills Fan said:

Just got done. 

4 year extension. 220 million

I get this is how people talk today. But it still misrepresents what's happening.

It works really well to puff up the ego of whoever gets the contract.

But the time scheme makes it nonsense.

They say four years $220M. So you just divide $220 by four, right? Well, wrong. Because the $220 is correct, but it will in fact be paid over five years. $75M of it has already been paid.

So those numbers are not the reality in either cash terms nor cap terms.

In cash, he'll be receiving a total of $79M in 2024, $13M in 2025, $51M in 2026, $43M in 2027 and $45M in 2028.

By comparison, his cap hit will be $20.7M in 2024, $29.7M in 2025, $36.1M in 2026, $42.4M in 2027 and $74M in 2028.

So overall, he's not getting $220M for four years. He's getting in real terms, $224M in five years. (Still a hell of a lot of money, obviously, but not as much as it's spun to be.)

Same with everyone else. Anyone getting an extension can, and these days do, misstate the value by ignoring the other year(s) he's signed for.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1