Jordan Love 4 yrs 220 million

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

So when does Allen redo his deal, lol.

Whenever he wants.  He could simply hold out but he won't because he's not that type of guy, at it appears like that.  Beane needs to make it right.  He's waaaaaaay underpaid!!

I just thought of this:

These QBs are making 1000 times times the yearly salary of what many skilled and experienced people are making.

1000 times. The blows my mind. Yes, supply and demand and a free market and all that jazz but it still blows my mind.

• Agree 1

What’s with the 4 year deals for Love and Tua. Teams don’t truly believe in their QB’s? Seemed like the trend was going to 5+ year deals. But now we have back to back 4 year contracts. 

4 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Since they are both repped by the same agency, signed their deal within hours....

You are building a team. You can select Tua or Love, who do you take?

Love by a mile.

And I’m still not even 100% sold on Love since he basically only has half a season of great play. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Billl said:

How was it half a season?  He started great, finished great, and was pretty good in between. 

started great?

Check. 6 tds to 0 nits 118 rating

first two games, 1-1 record.

finished great?

Check. 18 TD’s to 1 INT 112 rating final 8 games and 6-2 record. 

pretty good in between? 
No. 7 games 8TD’s 10 INTs 72 rating sub 60 percent completion and 2-5 record 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

9 hours ago, Beast said:

The Packers have now done this twice. Bring in a 1st rounder to sit a couple years behind the icon and move on to the young guy.

If I’m a GM, I take notice concerning that strategy.

Agree.  There's a clear benefit to this approach 

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Hope Allen doesn't read Florio.

Probably not. That’s what he pays his agent to do.

Insane numbers for a guy who hasn’t done anything yet. Regardless, Josh will get paid.  My concern? Just made cap space for next season to be flexible and add a piece or two.  Adding 12 million or so will cripple this teams cap again.

Would be great if the top one or two contracts on a team didn’t count fully against the cap. Would probably push top contracts even higher though, so not a realistic solution.

8 hours ago, Whkfc said:

The owners need to raise prices to cover operations costs. Qb goes I want 60 million a year. Owner goes well I can't lose my guy I gotta pay him. Owner isn't taking the loss so the owner is gonna compensate by raising what they charge for tickets food parking ect. There no magic fund for player salaries. I'm curious how ticket prices have increased over the last 30 years vs inflation. 

Im not trying to be the old man yelling at clouds I just wonder at what point does the average guy making 60-70k a year look at every single qb that comes due next getting this mind boggling money and say this is insane. Maybe there is no point.

Owners are going to maximize their revenues regardless of what percentage goes to the players. The salary cap is literally a percentage of league revenue - 48.8% IIRC. The fans would pay the same prices if that was 40% or 55% - or even 25%.

But the beauty of the system is that it self corrects. if it’s so expensive that it turns fans like you off, then you won't spend your money on the NFL and its sponsors and they’ll take in less revenue. If enough people do that, it’ll have an impact. Obviously we haven’t seen that yet. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

What's the success rate of QB's drafted outside the top 10 though?  Credit to them in having courage in their convictions but you can't help but wonder if the Packers have another Super Bowl right now if they drafted one of the next two WR's taken (Higgins or Pittman Jr.).  I get it with Rodgers though more now than I did at the time.

Rodgers was drafted outside the top 10. There is no more important position in sport than a franchise Quarterback. If you don't have one having everything else is irrelevant. If your guy is 35 or over, has started talking life after football and you get a chance to draft a kid you think can make it you take that chance. Every. Single. Time. And even if you miss it is still the right decision.

And how would Pittman or Higgins have stopped the 49ers running all over them at will?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I just thought of this:

These QBs are making 1000 times times the yearly salary of what many skilled and experienced people are making.

1000 times. The blows my mind. Yes, supply and demand and a free market and all that jazz but it still blows my mind.

TV Contracts have changed the game. But those TV contracts have only grown because the NFL is a national addiction like crack cocaine was back in the 80s.

10 hours ago, Whkfc said:

The owners need to raise prices to cover operations costs. Qb goes I want 60 million a year. Owner goes well I can't lose my guy I gotta pay him. Owner isn't taking the loss so the owner is gonna compensate by raising what they charge for tickets food parking ect. There no magic fund for player salaries. I'm curious how ticket prices have increased over the last 30 years vs inflation. 

Im not trying to be the old man yelling at clouds I just wonder at what point does the average guy making 60-70k a year look at every single qb that comes due next getting this mind boggling money and say this is insane. Maybe there is no point.

But the salaries keep going up because of tv deals that the owners negotiate. I’m not saying the players aren’t greedy, of course they are, with millions of dollars on the line we all would be, but for the OP to put them blame on the players and not the owners is incredibly shortsighted 

17 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Average to good QB's getting 50+ mill per year is stupid.  I hope in the next CBA owners move for a cap on QB salaries. 

I can definitely see the NFLPA supporting something like no player can get more than 20% of the cap in order to spread the wealth around.  It would be similar to what they have in the NBA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Or maybe it shouldn't cost a weeks pay to attend a single game. The owners are gonna make what they need to make. The outrageous player salaries are driving average folks out of being able to attend. My dad took me to games as a kid and we were not super well off. Me I can take my son to maybe 1 a year. 200 a ticket another 50 to park another 50 for ***** nachos and watered down pepsi. That's 500 bucks for a Sunday afternoon out.

Let me introduce you to Mr. Inflation. He’s a jerk. 

12 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Yeah but he's been there for 4 years. They know him, he played well and was going to get paid now or later. 

it’s why you can’t let them sit for years. They are basically past all the perks of the rookie contract 

12 hours ago, Beast said:

The Packers have now done this twice. Bring in a 1st rounder to sit a couple years behind the icon and move on to the young guy.

If I’m a GM, I take notice concerning that strategy.

all notice, none can replicate.

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It was even worse before the rookie wage scale.  As we saw with Allen, signing them early is usually the right play.  If you're convinced you have your franchise QB you sign him.

Yeah but Tua and Jordan Love are making more money than Allen. And we know Allen is the much better player. To me, love needs at least another year and Tua is nowhere near worth it