Jordan Love 4 yrs 220 million

Just now, julian said:

lol huh ? I was complementing Love, I didn’t say his first half was poor or bad, just that I thought he played great in the 2nd half lol.. I never said a word about Allen, I’m not sure making that comparison and ultimately dragging 17 on this board is helping your argument, an argument you seem to be having with yourself lol.

I’m not dragging Allen at all.  He’s incredible player.  I’m complementing Love by comparing him to Josh.  I think Love could find himself in the “who is the best QB not named Allen or Mahomes” discussion sooner rather than later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Anyone still want to look back a few years and make the argument they should have given the prima donna a 1st round rookie receiver to not throw to the second he dropped a ball rather than select their Quarterback of the future? 

Was a silly argument then, even sillier now.

• Like (+1) 1

Damn. That’s a lot. But honestly, just the going rate these days. Didn’t realize he had as good a statistical season as he did. Good for him. F’n Packers have the magic formula to identifying franchise QBs in the modern era. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I agree.  We don't know Loves ceiling.  We know Tuas.  Love also has not show

I agree with this as well. Love did more with less

But of course

No, it's not. 

Ok

13 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Or maybe it shouldn't cost a weeks pay to attend a single game. The owners are gonna make what they need to make. The outrageous player salaries are driving average folks out of being able to attend. My dad took me to games as a kid and we were not super well off. Me I can take my son to maybe 1 a year. 200 a ticket another 50 to park another 50 for ***** nachos and watered down pepsi. That's 500 bucks for a Sunday afternoon out.

Tickets have practically nothing to do with the players' salaries. That money comes from TV rights. The bolded could not be more wrong, or incorrectly aimed.

kz5n68rp2zcd1.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m completely not understanding how what you said is the players fault. They don’t set the salary cap, ticket prices, food, parking, etc…that’s all the owners doing that 

The owners need to raise prices to cover operations costs. Qb goes I want 60 million a year. Owner goes well I can't lose my guy I gotta pay him. Owner isn't taking the loss so the owner is gonna compensate by raising what they charge for tickets food parking ect. There no magic fund for player salaries. I'm curious how ticket prices have increased over the last 30 years vs inflation. 

Im not trying to be the old man yelling at clouds I just wonder at what point does the average guy making 60-70k a year look at every single qb that comes due next getting this mind boggling money and say this is insane. Maybe there is no point.

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

I’m not dragging Allen at all.  He’s incredible player.  I’m complementing Love by comparing him to Josh.  I think Love could find himself in the “who is the best QB not named Allen or Mahomes” discussion sooner rather than later.

I agree 100%, I think you took my admiration for his play down the stretch or saying it’s a lot of money for 8 excellent games as me not agreeing with the Packers making the commitment.

To be clear, if I were a Packer fan I’d be excited about the future with Love, he looks awesome.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Anyone still want to look back a few years and make the argument they should have given the prima donna a 1st round rookie receiver to not throw to the second he dropped a ball rather than select their Quarterback of the future? 

Yeah The Packers made the right decision, even had Love turned out to be a bust.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What's the success rate of QB's drafted outside the top 10 though?  Credit to them in having courage in their convictions but you can't help but wonder if the Packers have another Super Bowl right now if they drafted one of the next two WR's taken (Higgins or Pittman Jr.).  I get it with Rodgers though more now than I did at the time.

14 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

The owners need to raise prices to cover operations costs. Qb goes I want 60 million a year. Owner goes well I can't lose my guy I gotta pay him. Owner isn't taking the loss so the owner is gonna compensate by raising what they charge for tickets food parking ect. There no magic fund for player salaries. I'm curious how ticket prices have increased over the last 30 years vs inflation. 

Im not trying to be the old man yelling at clouds I just wonder at what point does the average guy making 60-70k a year look at every single qb that comes due next getting this mind boggling money and say this is insane. Maybe there is no point.

I get that you're a new poster but maybe read up on how the NFL's economy actually works before you continue to embarrass yourself. Most (all) of your assumptions have been incorrect.

The Owners are pricing you out from going to games for their own greed.

That QB's salary doesnt come out of their pocket. It comes out of revenue sharing from the NFL based almost solely on TV revenue. That literally is the magic fund for player salaries you speak of.

And that $255M salary cap allowance that goes to the players is less than half the revenue. The other half+ goes to the owners. The Owners are making more than the entire team combined. Plus all the stuff that doesnt go into revenue sharing that they get to keep outright.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Are you kidding me?  The owners charge as much as they possibly can.  The amount they can charge for tickets determines how much they can pay their players, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

Since they are both repped by the same agency, signed their deal within hours....

You are building a team. You can select Tua or Love, who do you take?

Love. He doesn't have the physical limitations Tua has.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

Are you kidding me?  The owners charge as much as they possibly can.  The amount they can charge for tickets determines how much they can pay their players, not the other way around.

Not even tho. Only about $20M of the $255M salary cap comes from shared ticket revenue. Crying about ticket costs and blaming it on players salary is just completely inaccurate.

NFL teams could give all their tickets away for free and still have a salary cap of over $200M.

That money comes from Fox, CBS, NBC, Amazon, ABC.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Huh?

I think you have no concept of how this works.

The players salaries are fully covered by the money the owners get from TV contracts and other revenue sources from the league.

The only thing the owners have to cough up is the signing bonuses up front.

The NFL generated almost $20 BILLION in revenue last year and it's BY FAR the highest revenue generating sports league in the world. By 2028 they are expecting to be over $25 Billion and are "ahead of the pace they thought they'd be at" in regards to that happening.

That means each team is getting 1/32nd of a very large portion of that.

Do the math. Highly doubt any owner is going to have to call the bank for a loan anytime soon.

Edited by Big Turk

22 minutes ago, Billl said:

I LOVE Jordan Love. One of my good buddies is a Packers fan and he texted me a few weeks into the season and said that it wasnt going well. I told him to buy his kids a Jordan Love jersey for Christmas, dude is gonna be a star.

He'd be very high on my list of QBs I'd want if we didnt have JA17

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

What's the success rate of QB's drafted outside the top 10 though?  Credit to them in having courage in their convictions but you can't help but wonder if the Packers have another Super Bowl right now if they drafted one of the next two WR's taken (Higgins or Pittman Jr.).  I get it with Rodgers though more now than I did at the time.

Rodgers had been threatening retirement for 2 years at that point. Packers did the right thing taking Love

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Huh?

I think you have no concept of how this works.

The players salaries are fully covered by the money the owners get from TV contracts and other revenue sources from the league.

The only thing the owners have to cough up is the signing bonuses up front.

The NFL generated almost $20 BILLION in revenue last year and it's BY FAR the highest revenue generating sports league in the world. By 2028 they are expecting to be over $25 Billion and are "ahead of the pace they thought they'd be at" in regards to that happening.

That means each team is getting 1/32nd of a very large portion of that.

Do the math. Highly doubt any owner is going to have to call the bank for a loan anytime soon.

Pretty sure players get 48 percent of all revenue per the cba. Not 48 percent of just tv revenue. Maybe the bulk doesn't come from tickets but to say none of it is wrong. I get how it works. However the average guy like a said in my original post isn't obsessed about how it all works they see the numbers  the players and correlate that to the cost to go to a game and find it ridiculous. 

Edited by Whkfc
Spelling
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Pretty sure players get 50 percent of all revenue per the cba. Not 50 percent of just tv revenue. Maybe the bulk doesn't come from tickets but to say none of it is wrong. I get how it works. However the average guy like a said in my original post isn't obsessed about how it all works they see the numbers  the players and correlate that to the cost to go to a game and find it ridiculous. 

Players get 48% of shared revenue.

From the pie charts I posted upthread, only about half of that 17% Ticket Sales qualifies for shared revenue. Owners get around it via suites and boxes which do not have to go to shared revenue. Neither do seat licenses. All of that goes directly to the owners' pockets.

So not only are they keeping the majority of ticket sale revenue, the owners are pocketing over half of the TV revenue as well.

But sure, it's the players who are getting their fair share for being the real talent and sacrificing their bodies that are the problem.

You get upset because the headline you see is "Jordan Love signs $55M/yr deal" and that sounds like too much to you. The headline you arent seeing though is "Terry Pegula signs $350M/yr deal".

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Rodgers had been threatening retirement for 2 years at that point. Packers did the right thing taking Love

I get it with Rodgers now more than I did then.  We'll never know if they win a Super Bowl if they pick someone else there besides Love.  However, at the same time the argument then also was Green Bay only has a year or two to take advantage of their Super Bowl window with a QB on their rookie contract with Love even if it worked out.  That's still the case.

19 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Pretty sure players get 48 percent of all revenue per the cba. Not 48 percent of just tv revenue. Maybe the bulk doesn't come from tickets but to say none of it is wrong. I get how it works. However the average guy like a said in my original post isn't obsessed about how it all works they see the numbers  the players and correlate that to the cost to go to a game and find it ridiculous. 

Tickets aren't even close to the highest revenue source. TV contracts are and it's not even close...probably something like 10-20x what ticket revenue would be if not more.

Last year every team got almost $375 million JUST from TV contract revenue. Ticket sales aren't even close to that.

In other words, almost 65% of ALL revenue generated by the NFL came from TV contracts.

Everything else combined including ticket sales, merchandise sales, concessions, sponsorships, etc came to 35%.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1