Well I wasn't planning to watch the Olympics anyway...

The nationalist contingent should like the Olympics. Think about it: we are 80 years into post-WW2 "world governance." We are constantly being told that national borders are being erased and that the idea of the nation-state is in decline.

And guess what? There's no "EU" basketball or soccer team. There's a whole bunch of traditional teams. We play France or Italy, not "the EU." And people care about how their national team fares. Same thing with the World Cup or the recent Europe and America cups. National anthems, not world anthems.

That old world stubbornly refuses to go away. 

Enjoy it for what it is!

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

As for the true amateurs, I agree 100%, though many of these sports seem less amateur than professional just based on the commitment required to make it to that level.

I don't think the soviet bloc teams were ever amateurs.  She lived in a dorm for years, diet controlled, days full of training and had her blood doped.  I hope we didn't "catch up".  But these games are examples of what men and women can physically be.  That was the original Greek idea.  There's always going to be cheating and corruption.  Those are just more examples of human frailty.  it's a huge, multinational morality play...with the best athletes in the world.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I don't think the soviet bloc teams were ever amateurs.  She lived in a dorm for years, diet controlled, days full of training and had her blood doped.  I hope we didn't "catch up".  But these games are examples of what men and women can physically be.  That was the original Greek idea.  There's always going to be cheating and corruption.  Those are just more examples of human frailty.  it's a huge, multinational morality play...with the best athletes in the world.

That’s a fair assessment.  Enjoy the hoops. 

27 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

The original Greek games also had everyone nude. Maybe we can bring that back 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Well, it turns out it was a religious festival per a couple sources.  Maybe that's the link between the Last Supper and dionysus.  The beach volleyball players are almost nude.  I suppose it would be difficult to long jump in a toga.

From Wiki, this reminds me of a modern political figure

One of the most infamous events of Olympic history occurred under the rule of Nero. He desired victory in all chariot races of the Panhellenic Games in a single year, so he ordered the four main hosts to hold their games in AD 67, and therefore the scheduled Olympics of 65, in the 211th Olympiad, were postponed. At Olympia he was thrown from his chariot, but still claimed victory. Nero also considered himself a talented musician, so he added contests in music and singing to those festivals that lacked them, including the Olympics. Nero won all of those contests, no doubt because judges were afraid to award victory to anyone else. After his suicide, the Olympic judges had to repay the bribes he had bestowed and declared the "Neronian Olympiad" to be void.[39]

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Well, it turns out it was a religious festival per a couple sources.  Maybe that's the link between the Last Supper and dionysus.  The beach volleyball players are almost nude.  I suppose it would be difficult to long jump in a toga.

One of the most infamous events of Olympic history occurred under the rule of Nero. He desired victory in all chariot races of the Panhellenic Games in a single year, so he ordered the four main hosts to hold their games in AD 67, and therefore the scheduled Olympics of 65, in the 211th Olympiad, were postponed. At Olympia he was thrown from his chariot, but still claimed victory. Nero also considered himself a talented musician, so he added contests in music and singing to those festivals that lacked them, including the Olympics. Nero won all of those contests, no doubt because judges were afraid to award victory to anyone else. After his suicide, the Olympic judges had to repay the bribes he had bestowed and declared the "Neronian Olympiad" to be void.[39]

I imagine he also won every golf tournament held on the grounds of his own villa.

18 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Oh, they're trying all right.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I enjoy your snippets of history and your perspective on them but find it curious why your view of present events lacks the same objective and clear observations.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I enjoy your snippets of history and your perspective on them but find it curious why your view of present events lacks the same objective and clear observations.

See, I'm not all bad.  We're just passionate polar opposites on politics.  I can't argue like this with my neighbors but I can with you...

48 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I imagine he also won every golf tournament held on the grounds of his own villa.

Oh, they're trying all right.

This is surprising actually, didn’t they give the beach volleyball players actual uniforms instead of thong bikinis?

My wife did cross country running in college and high school and she said there’s a balance between the “runderwear” which has actual function and some of the stuff they give the Olympic athletes.

Edited by Roundybout
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

This is surprising actually, didn’t they give the beach volleyball players actual uniforms instead of thong bikinis?

I didn't know that. Leggings on the beach! Or in this case on the sand dumped in front of the Eiffel Tower.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-13682545/Paris-Olympics-Games-2024-women-beach-volleyball-bikinis-uniforms-sexist-complain.html

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/27/2024 at 9:03 PM, TH3 said:

Much more violent than religions?  Ya all those dikes and homos eclipsing the holocaust the crusades the troubles the current Gaza.   Your a idiot

You're an idiot.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Free speech. . . . . . . . Right ?

It appears this video has been taken down from some tweets, so we have added another tweet that captures Leal's celebration below.]

https://twitchy.com/grateful-calvin/2024/07/29/brazilian-skateboarder-shares-profound-message-via-sign-language-after-winning-olympic-bronze-n2398978

Do you have ANY examples on non-NBC affiliated Olympics Twitter videos that haven't been taken down? They take down all of them.

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

Free speech. . . . . . . . Right ?

It appears this video has been taken down from some tweets, so we have added another tweet that captures Leal's celebration below.]

https://twitchy.com/grateful-calvin/2024/07/29/brazilian-skateboarder-shares-profound-message-via-sign-language-after-winning-olympic-bronze-n2398978

I can't find anything saying the Olympics prohibit praising God.  To the contrary, I found this

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2024/july-web-only/athletes-faith-2024-olympics-opening-ceremonies-secularism.html

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I didn't know that. Leggings on the beach! Or in this case on the sand dumped in front of the Eiffel Tower.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-13682545/Paris-Olympics-Games-2024-women-beach-volleyball-bikinis-uniforms-sexist-complain.html

I'm glad they have a choice.  Watching US vs Australia and they've chosen bikinis.  It's a good game.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why are you gloating at a river remaining polluted? You got something against Paris? What has it ever done to you except ignore you and your small mindedness.

Some people are french fry people, some like their tater's totted.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, phypon said:

More Olympic craziness:

Them dumb asses, hitler would kill them next, do they think he would stop with the Jews? He was put out of business before he had a chance. 

Edited by 4th&long
  • Agree 1