Tua gets the bag - $53M a year

20 hours ago, klos63 said:

Did I say ' look out'?

I know it's blasphemous to not constantly see this as a positive for Buffalo,  but I see no reason to feel giddy about it like so many on here feel. 

He's improved every season,  only in 5th this coming year.  No reason to believe he can't maintain our even get better.  

Honest question: Do you feel that Tua signing this contract with Miami improves, worsens, or stagnates their outlook going forward?

Personally, I think it stagnates their outlook, at best. And that is reason for sanguinity.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Honest question: Do you feel that Tua signing this contract with Miami improves, worsens, or stagnates their outlook going forward?

Personally, I think it stagnates their outlook, at best. And that is reason for sanguinity.

I think they'll have a very strong offense. No reason to think it wouldn't continue to be strong. 

They have a great running game and 2 tremendous WR's.

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I think they'll have a very strong offense. No reason to think it wouldn't continue to be strong. 

They have a great running game and 2 tremendous WR's.

Doesn't really answer the question, though.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Bahahaha I'll take the L

Send me your venmo. At least it's not a $5000 loss like the last time

Just havin' some fun with ya😜.  I couldn't believe they merged the other one.  Gotta be the title....

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Just havin' some fun with ya😜.  I couldn't believe they merged the other one.  Gotta be the title....

I think the mods wanted you to win the bet!  They've been out to get me since the so called "stalking" incident 

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

https://www.spotrac.com/news/_/id/2414/breaking-down-tua-tagovailoas-2124m-extension

Excellent breakdown of Tua’s contract in this above link. Worth the read. Here’s a snippet:

THE EXTENSION TERMS

Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins came to terms on a 4 year, $212.4M extension yesterday that keeps the QB under contract through the 2028 season. It easily surpasses Tyreek Hill’s $120M contract as the largest total value deal in Dolphins’ history, while the $212.4M figure ranks 11th among active NFL contracts.

The $53.1M contract average is the 2nd largest figure in NFL history, but Tua now ranks 4th in AAV behind Burrow, Lawrence, and Love - all who clock in at $55M. Against the current $255.4M league salary cap, Tua’s AAV represents 20.79%, which ranks 12th in the league (behind Lawrence, ahead of Goff).

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

https://www.spotrac.com/news/_/id/2414/breaking-down-tua-tagovailoas-2124m-extension

Excellent breakdown of Tua’s contract in this above link. Worth the read. Here’s a snippet:

THE EXTENSION TERMS

Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins came to terms on a 4 year, $212.4M extension yesterday that keeps the QB under contract through the 2028 season. It easily surpasses Tyreek Hill’s $120M contract as the largest total value deal in Dolphins’ history, while the $212.4M figure ranks 11th among active NFL contracts.

The $53.1M contract average is the 2nd largest figure in NFL history, but Tua now ranks 4th in AAV behind Burrow, Lawrence, and Love - all who clock in at $55M. Against the current $255.4M league salary cap, Tua’s AAV represents 20.79%, which ranks 12th in the league (behind Lawrence, ahead of Goff).

In other words, it’s a very reasonable deal that will put him at about the 20th highest paid two years from now.

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

In other words, it’s a very reasonable deal that will put him at about the 20th highest paid two years from now.

Seems to be the case after looking at the details. Much more so than just seeing the initial numbers at least. To me it looks like a deal where they split the difference between the Daniel Jones two year guarantees and the top of market deals. Fair for both sides. He’s getting paid and is set to be a Phin for three seasons - thru 2026. But they didn’t tie themselves to him beyond that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just a quick bit of math:

Expected 2025 salary cap: $260 million

Current expected cap hits

Tua: $ 51 million 

Tyreek Hill: $34 million 

Jaylen Ramsey: $24 million.

Waddle: $20 million

That's approximately half their cap tied up on four players 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Three stars and a QB.  Nothing wrong with that for a team aiming to win now.

12 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Doesn't really answer the question, though.

Your choices are pretty dumb, 2 are negative.

I think it's pretty clear that I think they'll be as good or better.

Hopefully our secondary improves and we'll be able to shut them down. 

23 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Love it.  This will restrict the phins from signing or keeping hi priced talent.

How do other teams manage?

42 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Isn't Miami allowed to restructure,  extend... to be more cap friendly, like every other team?

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

THE EXTENSION TERMS

And the big number…..$93 Mil guaranteed. I wonder what that looks like if he gets broken or concussions put him out of the league in a year, or two, or later. I’d hate to see it happen, but it has to be considered. 

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

And the big number…..$93 Mil guaranteed. I wonder what that looks like if he gets broken or concussions put him out of the league in a year, or two, or later. I’d hate to see it happen, but it has to be considered. 

Agreed. It’s a substantial risk for the Phins, but I don’t see a lot of other options for them. Tua fits their scheme so well (even if it was designed to fit him). This regime can’t blow it up and start over. Not with where they’re at with skill players. What other choice do they really have?

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah I thought he was done after I saw his fingers curled up. He proved me wrong about that. It wouldn't shock me if he misses some games. It could trend that way. 

Tua is alright. I think he is good enough to have the Fish in the mix. I don't think the Fish really had any outs to go in a different direction at the moment.