Tua gets the bag - $53M a year

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

People need to go back and watch that game. The Bills crushed them and then crushed themselves with bad turnovers. This was two weeks removed from a teammate dying in front of them. They may have been a bit distracted 

100% 

offensive couldn’t get out of their own way in terms of turnovers but still scored 34 points. They would have hung a 50 burger on the Fins if they didn’t have the turnovers and miscues ( dropped TD Knox and dropped pass by Shakir). When they were not miscuing they were scoring TD’s. 

Defensive didn’t dominant but they also were not as bad as the box score. Offense put them in bad situations with the turnovers.

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2024/07/26/tua-tagovailoa-contract-extension-completed-by-miami-dolphins/73413368007/

Tua backed up the Brinks truck, getting $53M/yr from the Fish.  4 year, $212M extension, $167GTD.  Josh gonna get 6 year $350M, $200M GTD at least....  At $42M, Josh is WAY underpaid.  Let's hope Pegs remedies that soon.

I mean... The spirit of your comments are that Josh is better so we should pay him more.

But that's just not how it works, at least anymore.

Now, if you are a top 16 QB and you are up for a contract, you become the highest paid QB (and NFL player) ever. That's just how it goes.

Look Tua gets 53, and right afterwards Love gets 55.

Josh will be the highest paid player again as soon as he signs his next deal. Whenever that is.

4 hours ago, Billl said:

He led the league and yards and threw 29 TDs.  I get that he’s got great weapons around him, but those numbers have to count for something.  

In the six games against teams with winning records he went 1-5 with 6 TD's and 7 INT's (84.6 passer rating) with the best weapons he may ever have around him.  That's not even including the playoff game against the Chiefs. That's why I'm happy about this contract.  He's not a threat with his legs and really struggles off script.  He's amazing when in rhythm though.  One of the best with accuracy, touch, and anticipation.  I'll give him that. 

• Agree 4

This is good for Bills fans.  Further spending making it almost impossible to get out of cap jail, and Tua is no more than an above average QB, but he’s not even top 10.  They were chatting yesterday on the WGR morning show it would be a nightmare if next year Dak Prescott went to Miami.  He’s an excellent QB with a horrible media crazed owner.  As long as Jerrah remains the owner, they will be in limbo forever.

15 hours ago, klos63 said:

He's a pretty damn good qb. They have a tremendous offense.  I would much prefer if they didn't sign him

It's crazy that Bills fans think this is a bad thing for the Dolphins. 

You are right that Tua is "a pretty damn good qb", but the operative words are "pretty damn good" rather than "great".  Tua is a known quantity.   He's a system QB who needs a lot of talent around him to be successful but he's not a QB who can significantly elevate JAG players like Allen and Mahomes.  Miami is always going to have to provide him with a strong supporting cast of WRs (one of the most expensive positions) which doesn't leave much money to invest in other positions, especially on defense.   Signing Tua means that the Fins aren't going to be in the market for a starting QB (who might turn out to be great) for the next 4 seasons plus they will have so much of their cap invested in Tua and his WRs  that their team is going to struggle to field a top notch defense.

What could be better for the Bills for the next 4 years?

• Agree 1

I know Tua is better than we give him credit for but that is a lot of money for someone who has never won a playoff game.

With even back loading the deal with a restructure this year puts a conservative $60 million cap hit for 2025. That's close to a quarter of the cap on three players

19 hours ago, hellofellowbillsfans said:

Nothing is better than watching a division rival in QB purgatory

Can you imagine what Kyle Orton’s bag would look like these days for the drought era Bills? 🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Can you imagine what Kyle Orton’s bag would look like these days for the drought era Bills? 🤣🤣

I don't think that is a fair comparison but equally I take the point about the lack of value for Tua at that price.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

That’s crazy money

It's been a bit ridiculous for a while now & only looks as if it will get even worse . Josh is sitting back going AW HELL YAH !!! 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree.

Of course with Tua concussion and injury history, the risk is massive, glad the Bills weren't forced into such a decision a la Allen.

And he's not the most mobile QB out there and with all that money tied up in him it will be hard to sign or retain quality OL to keep him from the next concussion.

Very risky indeed and I would not say they have a top notch defense.

They let their "all-hands" team player go. Mr. Wilkins was a creepy predator on the DL, but you cannot deny he could be disruptive and get into the backfield.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, klos63 said:

He's a pretty damn good qb. They have a tremendous offense.  I would much prefer if they didn't sign him

It's crazy that Bills fans think this is a bad thing for the Dolphins. 

He's trash

Tua is the opposite of Lamar... a very accurate and steady passer who doesn't have the mobility to overcome pressure. This is why as the season goes on and the competition gets tougher, the Dolphins can't hack it. He will need ideal conditions in order to win playoff games.

• Like (+1) 1