Tua gets the bag - $53M a year

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed. It’s a substantial risk for the Phins, but I don’t see a lot of other options for them. Tua fits their scheme so well (even if it was designed to fit him). This regime can’t blow it up and start over. Not with where they’re at with skill players. What other choice do they really have?

Exactly. The market sucks and we all know Tua isn't worth that deal, but you can't shout "stop the world I want to get off." You either pay it or some other team will and you are scrabbling around for a Quarterback with the teams considering starting Garnder Minshew and Sam Darnold. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

Your choices are pretty dumb, 2 are negative.

I think it's pretty clear that I think they'll be as good or better.

Hopefully our secondary improves and we'll be able to shut them down. 

How do other teams manage?

Isn't Miami allowed to restructure,  extend... to be more cap friendly, like every other team?

They are already ~$44 million over so they will almost assuredly need to.

Now, I'm aware that Beane managed wizardry to get the Bills under the cap and make some acquisitions of their own. But next year the Phins have one player who they'd free more than $5 M by cutting and that's Hill.

I'm sure they can do it, but they signed a *bunch* of defensive free agents this year. Beane made hard cuts and the Phins kicked it down the road one more year and now they are locked on Tua.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The Dolphins have made a decision that paying a QB and WRs huge $$ is the answer.  We’ll see but I think they fold in the playoffs again.

Yeah but they're #1 WRs...

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly. The market sucks and we all know Tua isn't worth that deal, but you can't shout "stop the world I want to get off." You either pay it or some other team will and you are scrabbling around for a Quarterback with the teams considering starting Garnder Minshew and Sam Darnold. 

Essentially they do what many places do. They accept good because they are afraid to try for great.

They know unless a miracle happens they aren't winning a championship with Tua. They might not ever even win a playoff game.

He is currently propped up more than any other QB in the NFL and he still isn't able to get it done on a rookie deal.

What's going to happen when he has to do the propping once they can't afford to surround him with all that talent due to him taking up huge cap dollars?

In the games where teams have neutralized their scheme and disrupted timing which essentially forces Tua to beat them, he has been mostly average to abysmal.

Not exactly what you want to see from a guy getting paid $53 mil a year. He should be making other teams pay in those situations but he can't because he simply is too physically limited to 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Essentially they do what many places do. They accept good because they are afraid to try for great.

They know unless a miracle happens they aren't winning a championship with Tua. They might not ever even win a playoff game.

He is currently propped up more than any other QB in the NFL and he still isn't able to get it done on a rookie deal.

What's going to happen when he has to do the propping once they can't afford to surround him with all that talent due to him taking up huge cap dollars?

In the games where teams have neutralized their scheme and disrupted timing which essentially forces Tua to beat them, he has been mostly average to abysmal.

Not exactly what you want to see from a guy getting paid $53 mil a year. He should be making other teams pay in those situations but he can't because he simply is too physically limited to 

They can’t try for great because they made a decision to go all in now knowing that they’ve got a short window before they have to tear it down.  There’s no time to start over with a rookie QB.  If Tua can keep giving them 4600 yards with 29/14, he’s a bargain.  Maybe they get lucky and have good weather in the postseason and go on a run

They’ve got a chance, but they’re taking a rifle shot rather than a shotgun blast approach.  It’s going to take a lot of things going right for them to really threaten for a championship, but if they get hot late in the year, I wouldn’t want to run into them in the postseason.  When their offense is clicking, it may be the best in the league.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The way the NFL is set up with the draft and the salary cap means shooting for great when you have good is really difficult. Once you try and maximise the abilities of what you have which Miami has done the chance to upgrade at Quarterback becomes pretty remote. Miami doesn't have any other choice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Billl said:

Three stars and a QB.  Nothing wrong with that for a team aiming to win now.

What's "wrong" with "three stars and a QB" is two of those stars are WRs.    I think we've seen over the last few years that the old cliche "defense wins championships" is the operative word.    The Fins won't have the money to invest in their defense because they spent on multiple high priced WRs in order to support their QB.

I personally think that Tua's contract is okay.  The real problem for the Fins IMO is the team philosophy and coaching.   Sinking so much money into the offense to produce a juggernaut doesn't result in playoff wins because great defenses beat great offenses most of the time.

The only bag Tua got was the one he put over the Dolphins front office head as he stood behind them and went "no hands" on their collective asses. 😂

20 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

That's a lot of money tied up with 3 players, Tua, Hill, and Waddle. Not a formula for success.

Especially when their QB is the limiter of their offense and has to be propped up by the skill players instead of being able to do the propping.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The only bag Tua got was the one he put over the Dolphins front office head as he stood behind them and went "no hands" on their collective asses. 😂

Especially when their QB is the limiter of their offense and has to be propped up by the skill players instead of being able to do the propping.

they were the #1 offense in the league last year, he didn't limit them much

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

they were the #1 offense in the league last year, he didn't limit them much

Yeah, with stats piled up against bad teams that went for their misdirection and motions. What happened in games against good defenses?  The Bills, Chiefs, Ravens, and the first Jets game?  

What happened when teams said "F it", we are just gonna play your receivers head up and jam them at the line to disrupt the timing and then Tua is gonna have to beat us? He flopped...over and over and over again.

Why? Because he has physical limitations that REQUIRE huge windows to be open for him to throw into for him to be good because his arm strength and ability to drive the ball outside the numbers and throw into tight windows is suspect. 

Your QB cannot be the one holding your offense back in today's NFL if you want to do anything other than be 1 and done at best in the playoffs.