QB2 is a problem and has been ignored for years

54 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

Our goal should be finding a great talented QB in the 3-6th rounds and then flipping them for a 2nd or a 1st 4 years after development. They serve as a security blanket in the event your starter goes down, and serve as capital gains. 

If Josh is playing 90-100% of the plays and games, how is some 5th round QB going to be traded for a 1st or 2nd round pick 3-4 years later?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

I would have drafted a QB in the 3rd last year. 

Do you realize that back up QB's get on average about 6 snaps a week with the 1st string.  I don't care how good or bad you think Mitch is, a rookie getting that little work would be a downgrade from Mitch for quite some time.  Simple solution, give the backup more snaps, yeas at the expense of less work for the 1st team.  30 years ago this could work as there were little rules limiting the amount of practice time, but not today with all the rules in place regarding practice time.

By the time the guy may get to be decent if ever, he'll likely be at the end of his contract and not likely he-d have any interest in resigning wit ha team where he knows the only way he's going to ever see the field is either to hand off in mop up games or if Allen were to get hurt.

40 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

If Josh is playing 90-100% of the plays and games, how is some 5th round QB going to be traded for a 1st or 2nd round pick 3-4 years later?

GMs pay attention to preseason games and they have enough scouting awareness to tell if the talent is worth trading for. 

• Eyeroll 1

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

That is all true. However, I feel like he is one of those QB's whose stats are a little better than he actually is. Or, maybe he was just a poor fit in Pittsburgh. His last two years were not good. But, he does have that past relative success in Chicago. He even made a pro bowl there.

Mitch is obviously a flawed QB. Or else he wouldn't be a primary backup for the second time in his career. I do think he got a bit of a "raw deal" with the Steelers as he did get hurt and he had some really bad supporting casts. The WR's were bad and the offensive lines mediocre, even the RB Harris is solid but not dynamic. But Mitch obviously wasn't able to elevate the teams play and looked bad at times. 

However, find me a backup QB around his age with his kind of level of experience and relative success? You could do a lot worse. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Milanos Milano said:

Our goal should be finding a great talented QB in the 3-6th rounds and then flipping them for a 2nd or a 1st 4 years after development. They serve as a security blanket in the event your starter goes down, and serve as capital gains. 

Huh?

A player has to actually play in NFL games for other teams to think he is valuable. Exactly how would this happen unless Allen is injured?

This makes no sense. Is this another "Madden GM Strategy" that doesn't work in the real world?

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

I can't think of one example in the last 25 years of this happening.  Rob Johnson ruined it.

3 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

Even if you can’t afford a high quality backup when you draft them, you trade them away and get extra capital before their contract is up. You then get 4 more years of another quality player if you draft well. 

You are not wrong. BUT drafting a QB that develops into a good one is a crap shoot (actially the odds are worst than a crap shoot).

Maybe if the drafted QB sits behind the starter for several seasons so that he has time to grow into the role you'll have a starting QB.

What happens now, even with high draft picks, they get on the filed much too early and get ruined -- their confidence is shot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

Look at Montana and Young. Not having a good backup is just an excuse. 

That's just dumb. In Young they were bringing in a successor. The Niners traded a 2nd and a 4th for Young, which would be flat out dumb for the Bills to do right now. Montana was 31 years old and QBs generally didn't last till 40 in those days.

And in Young's first two years in SF, he completed 53.6% and 53.33% of his passes.

We're not looking for a successor and shouldn't pay a 2nd and a 4th for a backup. The idea's dumb.

Our backup is probably somewhere around the 5th to 10th best backup in the league. As for those in the top five, none would be favorites to make their team competitive in case of a season-ending injury to the top guy.

Any team with a top ten QB that loses that guy for the season isn't likely to do anything, the exception being a situation like Hostetler and Foles where it's near the end of the season and there are so few games left that defenses don't have time to figure out how to defend the backup when he's in that scheme

Trubisky's far from terrific. But he's very much what Foles was, and you only have to look at completion percentage, TD/INT ration, passer rating and on and on to see it. Better stats than Hostetler but that's as much the result of changes in the game as anything else. Hostetler is much the same kind of guy as Foles and Trubisky.

4 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

GMs pay attention to preseason games and they have enough scouting awareness to tell if the talent is worth trading for. 

OK, fair enough. Then there should be a ton of examples of this kind of thing happening.

Your list? Don't worry, we'll wait. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with ten or twelve guys like this in the last twenty years or so just off the top of your head.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

It's not a crazy idea to draft a QB in the third or fourth but there were too many needs this off-season.   I can see the Bills doing it in the future.

It is hardly a novel concept: New England did it repeatedly during the Brady years with Hoyer, Mallett, Brissett, and Garoppolo and Washington drafted RG3 and Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

Please Save me the trouble of searching multiple threads and sources…what’s this about Allen’s ankle?
First I’ve heard there’s an issue. 

edit: searched, found reference to Josh getting ankle taped.  
BFD. 
Some of you are the biggest hand-wringing worry wart pansies.

These are tough men, running around, twisting, jumping, etc. 

There will be tweaks, strains, sprains, and boo-boos. A good portion of the players get their ankles taped before hitting the field, just for added support. 
But sure, let’s panic because Josh had his ankle taped during a no-pads practice. 🙄

Edited by SoMAn

I mean, it's a backup QB position. How many of them are really that good? I do think maybe we should have drafted a guy as a developmental guy in the later rounds instead of guys like Matt Barkley, but backup QBs themselves are vacuums for a reason 

Edited by Buffalo03

Who is the best 2nd QB in the league?

If that player comes in for Josh Allen can the Bills win a Superbowl?

I don't care who you put for #1 but #2 is no. Chiefs aren't winning a SB if Mahomes is hurt.

I agree that last year the Bills were very exposed by rolling with Kyle Allen as the sole backup. That was bad. But Trubisky is about as good as you're realistically going to acquire/afford. There are better backups out there, for sure, but it's not like you just go to Target and pick out your favorite one to bring home. 

The one thing they haven't done is draft a project QB who slides into round 4-5, and see if he develops. But that just seems like a stupid and risky way to burn a draft pick when the team has many other needs. It also leaves you looking for that Trubisky-type for a year or two, anyway. 

I actually almost couldn’t feel better about what we have at backup right now. I loved it when Mitch was here before and am very happy he’s back. He can run and do a lot of the same things we want from Allen in this offense. Obviously he’s nowhere near as good but we have a fringe starter at QB2. If god forbid we had to play him for an extended period of time, I feel like we’d still have a shot. I’d take him over a handfull of current starters TBH. I couldn’t disagree more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1