QB2 is a problem and has been ignored for years

2 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

Now that Allen has some kind of developing ankle issue, we have no answer if he goes down for any amount of time. Mitch is not a viable backup. We should have drafted a 2nd or 3rd round QB to have groomed for difficult moments. People will say this is not a legitimate worry, but Allen relies on movement in the pocket and out of the pocket. He lives on his ankles. Ankles already being taped up and with a full work load every single week will just add to that stress. 

I mean look at how much it bothered him at the end of practice. Threw like 50 interceptions. 

When has QB2 not been a problem if he has to play? This goes for every team, ever season since the beginning of football, stop with the manufactured drama, JFC this nonsense topic has already been beaten to death repeatedly during the last sixty years for the team from Buffalo…,  nuthin but luv…

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Amen 🙏 

Pure speculation 

He was benched in Pittsburgh for a guy so bad they got rid of him too

Right or wrong QB2 is just a calculated risk you have to take. 

If Allen misses even two games the season is lost. Hell the season was almost lost when he was playing with a sore shoulder.

Let's hope then that Trubisky is even competent enough to STEAL one game. 😁

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The track record of running QBs isn't great long term. It wouldn't be the dumbest thing to draft and develop guys every couple of years. If you need them you have them, if not you trade them away a la Jimmy G.

C'mon man...who are you referring to? Cam Newton?

Who injured his shoulder that derailed his career in a car accident not on the field?

Keep hearing about this nonsense but who exactly are we talking about?

Josh isn't a "running QB". It's just another aspect to his game. He can beat you whatever way he chooses to beat you.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

If Allen ever went down and couldn’t come back for the season I hope the Bills bottom out so they can draft their own Marvin Harrison Jr.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1

Mitch is fine. He's an average backup. He has plenty of starting experience, which a lot of backups don't, and he knows the organization, the players, and Josh us comfortable with him.

He is also pretty mobile, which is good to have with a backup because they can at least move the chains with their legs if you need them to.

• Agree 2

Love this topic tbh I have always been a proponent of finding your next starter early. I was calling for the Bills to start finding Kelly's successor in 93. But Josh isn't 3 or 4 years away from fading out and we have too many other needs. As far as a backup goes... I think Trubisky has starting experience in the league and will have to manage a game if he has to go in. But let's face it 17 goes down for the season there isn't anyone out there as a back up gonna lead us to the promise land IMO nor do we have the open cap space to allocate a significant upgrade to that position. If we did it would be better spent on WR or Edge etc... 

Edited by JP51

Every year this comment comes up and I will quote this every year 

Gruden once asked Tom Moore why Peyton's backups didn't get more reps 'Fellas, if 18 goes down we're *****, and we don't practice *****.'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

When has QB2 not been a problem if he has to play? This goes for every team, ever season since the beginning of football, stop with the manufactured drama, JFC this nonsense topic has already been beaten to death repeatedly during the last sixty years for the team from Buffalo…,  nuthin but luv…

We should have traded for either Justin "1st look and run" Fields or Russell "I need my own private office" Wilson.  Only thing that makes sense.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Mitch is fine. He's an average backup. He has plenty of starting experience, which a lot of backups don't, and he knows the organization, the players, and Josh us comfortable with him.

He is also pretty mobile, which is good to have with a backup because they can at least move the chains with their legs if you need them to.

I think Mitch is actually a good backup, I think he is probably a top 10 backup. Mitch as a starter is 31-26 which for a 57 game starter being 5 games above .500 is solid. His career TD to INT ratio is 72-48 which is pretty good (with 13 rush TD's to 11 lost fumbles). He's also started two playoff games including a game in 2018 where he threw for 300 yards on 60% completion percentage and no turnovers. Granted he's 0-2 in the playoffs but he's at least has some experience there. Mitch is also only about to be 30 so he's still a fairly young player too. 

I don't think there are many backups in the league with that kind of experience and relative success in the league who aren't that old. Obviously Mitch has his flaws or he wouldn't be a firm backup but as a backup the Bills couldn't really do much better. A fairly young QB with decent levels of success and a hefty amount of experience is about as much as you can expect from a backup QB. 

I do think the Bills could try to maybe draft a QB in the late rounds to try and develop, but I think given that the team only carries two QB's they probably want a vet backup to Josh. 

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Mitch is actually a good backup, I think he is probably a top 10 backup. Mitch as a starter is 31-26 which for a 57 game starter being 5 games above .500 is solid. His career TD to INT ratio is 72-48 which is pretty good (with 13 rush TD's to 11 lost fumbles). He's also started two playoff games including a game in 2018 where he threw for 300 yards on 60% completion percentage and no turnovers. Granted he's 0-2 in the playoffs but he's at least has some experience there. Mitch is also only about to be 30 so he's still a fairly young player too. 

I don't think there are many backups in the league with that kind of experience and relative success in the league who aren't that old. Obviously Mitch has his flaws or he wouldn't be a firm backup but as a backup the Bills couldn't really do much better. A fairly young QB with decent levels of success and a hefty amount of experience is about as much as you can expect from a backup QB. 

I do think the Bills could try to maybe draft a QB in the late rounds to try and develop, but I think given that the team only carries two QB's they probably want a vet backup to Josh. 

I agree with this completely. Mitch is somewhere in the 25-35 best QB on planet right now. He has some good things about him but if he is our starter we are 8-9 most likely. I will point out that the Bears got substantially worse when he left, meaning he was not the main source of the problem. 

If Josh Allen goes down for a handful of games, the goal of our backup QB should be to keep us competitive. 

Don't give away the game.  Let the defense and rushing attack carry the show.  Hopefully stay about .500 during that brief stretch.

In the event Allen goes down for longer, the season is likely toast anyway.  

Mitch Trubisky has a career record of 31-26, mostly with a Bears team with less overall talent than here.

I doubt there are many teams in the NFL with a better win pct. riding the bench.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That is all true. However, I feel like he is one of those QB's whose stats are a little better than he actually is. Or, maybe he was just a poor fit in Pittsburgh. His last two years were not good. But, he does have that past relative success in Chicago. He even made a pro bowl there.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:
5 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

Look at Montana and Young. Not having a good backup is just an excuse. 

Or Kemp and Lamonica!

This was light years ago in another galaxy that did not have free agency. Teams need to pay their starters so much more nowthey cannot afford another starting level QB as QB 2.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s always been a problem, but that doesn’t mean we just ignore it and don’t try. The GMs job is to find high quality backups and trade them for extra pieces if the room gets too crowded. 

11 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

This was light years ago in another galaxy that did not have free agency. Teams need to pay their starters so much more nowthey cannot afford another starting level QB as QB 2.

Even if you can’t afford a high quality backup when you draft them, you trade them away and get extra capital before their contract is up. You then get 4 more years of another quality player if you draft well. 

Edited by Milanos Milano
  • Haha (+1) 1

Our goal should be finding a great talented QB in the 3-6th rounds and then flipping them for a 2nd or a 1st 4 years after development. They serve as a security blanket in the event your starter goes down, and serve as capital gains. 

6 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

I would have drafted a QB in the 3rd last year. 

Call me crazy, but I’d rather have a QB who was judged to be good enough to be the #2overall pick 6 yrs ago rather than take a flyer on some kid from Tulsa. 

14 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Call me crazy, but I’d rather have a QB who was judged to be good enough to be the #2overall pick 6 yrs ago rather than take a flyer on some kid from Tulsa. 

Of course, but I’m talking about developing a later round QB in order to be a serviceable backup and a capital gain return.