Tua gets the bag - $53M a year

36 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, and it's not just against the Bills.  Their offense averages about twice as many points against losing teams as winning teams.  They tend to struggle against good teams.  It's much like the complaint about the Bills defense.

And they struggle on the road in general because its loud and you can't time all the motion and snap counts as well.  They also struggle in poor weather where speed isn't as much of a factor.  

47 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

tua just doesn’t have another gear he can go to 

This is it in a nutshell.

If the script is going well or the coordinator is out-coaching the opposition, then Tua is gangbusters.

When the chips are down, backs are against the wall, or the script isn't going as planned, Tua doesn't seem to have a "next level" he can access (a la Josh Allen) to take over games and steal victory from the jaws of defeat.

It's why, in my opinion, the Dolphins will continue to win 10+ games and make the playoffs, but never go far beyond that. The elite QBs in the 2024 NFL can take over games by themselves, and I just don't see Tua as that guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

He's a pretty damn good qb. They have a tremendous offense.  I would much prefer if they didn't sign him

It's crazy that Bills fans think this is a bad thing for the Dolphins. 

He makes double what his dad, Josh Allen, makes. Dolphins are a clown show. They have a great offense until November

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

He's a pretty damn good qb. They have a tremendous offense.  I would much prefer if they didn't sign him

Tua is a good player, but not a great one. With that said, there’s probably at least 10-15 teams in the NFL that would love to have him.

Edited by ghostwriter

Tua has become a known commodity. He's extremely accurate, he's exceptional at timing routes, and he can go through progression very quickly. Those are his strengths. But, his weaknesses don't seem to be going away. He doesn't handle pressure well... at all. He can't break a tackle, and he's utterly terrible at extending plays, or throwing off-schedule. His fragility may be overstated, but he's gun-shy when it comes to getting sacked, and he loses his down-field vision when rushers break through the line.

He can get the Fish to the playoffs, but he's not a playoff QB, if he can't extend plays.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Its crazy that Bills fans think this is a bad thing for the Dolphins.

-or-

Its an overpay and IS a bad thing for the Dolphins.

I think the truth is someplace in between.  

1.) Yes, it is an overpay.  Yes, you are paying more for what you are getting compared to what you get per dollar for Josh Allen, Burrow, Mahomes.   Yes, in the long run while under this deal the Dolphins may not have enough money to surround with with enough talent to get 'over the top'.  I think he is a good-to-very good QB but not worth 'elite' money.

2.) you want to keep him, he is demanding 'elite' money.  The Dolphins will be a better team for having him, under this deal, than letting him walk and trying to fill out the team with a lesser QB but spending money in other spots.

So, if EVERYTHING falls the right way, they get that season where everything for them falls into place and their top competitors have unexpected problems, the Dolphins CAN make the Superbowl. Would I bet on it? No, but he is good enough to give you that lottery ticket.

My opinion is though that likely he keeps them competitive enough to be 'good', but the money per season for him prevents them from being the elite team in the conference over the next 4 years.

Best case scenario for Bills fans would be the team lets him walk away.  Worst case scenario for Bills fans is he re-signs a deal for about $30m-35m per year(which I personally think is fair based on what I have seen of him)  This, what actually happened, this is someplace in the middle.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Bills fans think this is a great thing for the Dolphins.  I mean Tua has beaten Allen two times head to head.  The heat game and the Charles Clay dropped TD game.  This is great for Tua.

Just for context, here are a couple of Vegas O/U for 2024:

Passing yards

Tua:  Over 4100.5 +100

Allen:  Over 3750.5 -120 

Jackson:  Over 3250.5 -110

Burrow:  Over 4000.5 -105

Passing TDs

Tua:  Over 25.5 -110

Allen:  Over 27.5 +110

Jackson:  Over 22.4 -110

Burrow:  Over 28.5 +110

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2024/07/26/tua-tagovailoa-contract-extension-completed-by-miami-dolphins/73413368007/

Tua backed up the Brinks truck, getting $53M/yr from the Fish.  4 year, $212M extension, $167GTD.  Josh gonna get 6 year $350M, $200M GTD at least....  At $42M, Josh is WAY underpaid.  Let's hope Pegs remedies that soon.

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

Passing yards

Passing TDs

hard for me to wrap my mind around Allen’s passing yards being so low. That’s 220 ypg average. 

maybe Vegas thinks he finally misses a game or two to injury this year? He’d probably have to miss at least two games to injury to not have more than 3,750 yards.

last year was his lowest average since 2019 and he was still at 253ypg

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

Passing yards

Passing TDs

I'm guessing if you take Tua's #1 asset out, Tyreek Hill, those numbers plummet.

And....we've already taken Allen's #1 asset out.  And he's working with nearly an entire new crew. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

Yeah, it's weird.  Tua isn't a bad QB at all and fits McDaniel's system well.

Weirdly enough, FinHeaven is happier about this than we are!  And I'm happy for them.  Not enough years or money in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Bills fans think this is a great thing for the Dolphins.  I mean Tua has beaten Allen two times head to head.  The heat game and the Charles Clay dropped TD game.  This is great for Tua.

That was Tannehill when Clay dropped the winning TD.  Dec 2018.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, hellofellowbillsfans said:

Nothing is better than watching a division rival in QB purgatory

2 hours ago, hellofellowbillsfans said:

Nothing is better than watching a division rival in QB purgatory

Just put the headline in the thread title so we dont get 10 duplicate threads. There's no other news.