Training Camp 7/26

Simon

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Saying he’s obviously struggling is a crazy take.

Then you should educate yourself on tibial plateau fractures 

😘 

GettyImages2157157723-137e77a9-5d52-4e96

Thoughts from Day 3 of Bills training camp

Buffalo Rumblinks, 7/27: Thoughts from Day 3 of Bills training camp

After an impressive first two days at camp, quarterback Josh Allen proved he is mortal after all. Following a great start to Friday’s practice, Allen struggled late, throwing three straight passes that wound up being intercepted.

Among the other key takeaways from the third practice session: Defensive end Dawuane Smoot was back with the first unit and even saw reps at defensive tackle; rookie running back Ray Davis continued to flash his immense potential; kicker Tyler Bass was extremely accurate with his field goals; rookie wideout Keon Coleman is embracing his role as a valuable offensive weapon who can be deployed anywhere on the field; Marquez Valdez-Scantling recorded the offensive play of the day; linebacker Matt Milano made a terrific play in coverage as he works his way back from last year’s season-ending fractured tibia, and more!

Milano flashing

Allen starts hot, Bills defense finishes hot in Friday's practice

Matt Milano continues to be in his usual starting role and practicing at a full capacity.

He made a terrific play in coverage on Friday to diagnose a swing pass and get to the boundary in a hurry. Right after the play, defensive coordinator Bobby Babich immediately came over to slap Milano’s hand and congratulate him for the play.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Dear Iron Maiden Bills > Araiza Curse > Milano's Milano,

Your posting quality is consistent across name changes

As is my migration of all 3 onto my "ignore" list.  Why people voluntarily listen to this stuff is mind-boggling.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, noacls said:

What are yours? It's been reported he had a tibial plateau fracture. I know enough about medicine to know its a bad injury.  Usually destroys cartilage in knee. 

You first, Buddy.  I'm not the one here pronouncing "Milano is obviously struggling.  Not pushing off on injured leg. Coming back from very serious injury. He may never be the same".  

We all know a tibial plateau fracture (if that's what Milano had) is a serious injury.   Since you're the one making a physical evaluation and stating an opinion and one possible outcome (while implying it's more probable with your "take off your rose colored glasses schtick), seems to me you should state the credentials behind this opinion of yours.

I provided a link to an assessment by Kyle Trimble, a PhD physical therapist, whose take is decidedly more positive

It’s excellent that Milano avoided PUP but he is proving the Bills training staff correct in how he looks out there after three days of practice. He is doing a lot of things correctly but there are several notable but expected deficits at this time. Milano is still exhibiting decreased power output coming off his right leg and deceleration issues. He also has been observed working out his right leg towards the end of practice.

In brief flashes, he looks fantastic but as he goes on throughout practice, you can see how the fatigue bothers him. The team has come out and stated that his workload will be managed with rest days. Considering that he came back from a significant fracture and has been constantly rehabbing, there is a lot of rust to knock off. It wasn’t expected that he was at his pre-injury form after the first three days of practice.

Taking everything in, he looks fantastic for where he’s at in his rehab. Could he improve? Absolutely. He should improve and look more normal every day. It’s important to note that he doesn’t look 100 percent right now, but if he’s looking like this at the end of training camp, then I have bigger concerns. 

Let the process play out and I believe that he will come through looking better at the end. 

We also know that the sports medicine physicians and therapists treating him believe he can come back.   He hasn't played football in ~10 months, if the posited injury is the correct one he likely spent considerable time non-weight-bearing on his R leg, and he had to ramp up his strengthening gradually.  Having him out there at the start of camp is fantastic, and this is not a Von Miller situation where he's talking about being ready for the start of the season but we don't see him out there.  We see him out there and he looks great at times and at other times he shows there is still progress to be made, as expected for a guy coming back from injury at the start of training camp.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, NewEra said:

https://bangedupbills.com/2023/10/09/examining-buffalo-bills-matt-milanos-right-knee-injury/

“Furthermore, the author of the SB Nation Arrowhead Pride article, Aaron Borgmann, is a former AT/PT for the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadephia Eagles. He indicated in the article that there is no performance drop-off upon return or long-term concerns. I have followed his work for a long time and I highly value his professional opinion. “

I know nothing about medicine-  these two guys do.  

You may be correct in your assessment- maybe you could share your knowledge with the rest of us instead of the usual snark involved with each of your posts.

This.

I remembered that early article in banged up Bills that indicated sprain and not tear so the prognosis for recovery was good, but the time to full recovery varied.

OBD has generally been very patient when it comes to player recovery timelines.

There are no guarantees that Milano will completely regain his form, but nothing to indicate he can't work his way back and that we need to panic.

I am sure the Bills have plenty of trainers who are monitoring his progression, strenth with that knee that likely had an ACL sprain, and managing any soreness or swelling.

And no snark implied as no one here likely knows for sure, we can only surmise based on actions taken by OBD as it relates to the injured player being cleared for practice and eventually pads & contact.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Then you should educate yourself on tibial plateau fractures 

😘

I have to say that I'm a little concerned about Milano's knee as well, and my education is from personal experience. I've had four surgeries on my left knee (all resulting from skiing injuries)- two ACL replacements, a tibial plateau fracture, and finally a total knee replacement. For me, the issue with the tibia was that even after it was completely healed, and pain-free, there was always a slight issue with stability. Imagine a hinge that's been bent, and then hammered back into place, but it's never quite the same again. When I watch the footage of Milano on the practice field these last few days, and I see him testing it, hopping back and forth on it, maybe giving it a little shake, I know he feels it. I skied on my surgically repaired knee, but it was never quite the same, and I was never quite as confident on it again.

(For anyone wondering about my full knee replacement, I had that done a year ago. I'll be skiing on it this coming season, and I have high hopes, although at 60, I won't likely be doing any of the double black diamonds any more.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

And then this year it will be his ankles. Then someone will use it to explain away bad numbers. 

Maybe if your guy could stay healthy and make a play instead of being an absolute no show in big games Allen wouldn’t have to carry the team on his back 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

49 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I have to say that I'm a little concerned about Milano's knee as well, and my education is from personal experience. I've had four surgeries on my left knee (all resulting from skiing injuries)- two ACL replacements, a tibial plateau fracture, and finally a total knee replacement. For me, the issue with the tibia was that even after it was completely healed, and pain-free, there was always a slight issue with stability. Imagine a hinge that's been bent, and then hammered back into place, but it's never quite the same again. When I watch the footage of Milano on the practice field these last few days, and I see him testing it, hopping back and forth on it, maybe giving it a little shake, I know he feels it. I skied on my surgically repaired knee, but it was never quite the same, and I was never quite as confident on it again.

(For anyone wondering about my full knee replacement, I had that done a year ago. I'll be skiing on it this coming season, and I have high hopes, although at 60, I won't likely be doing any of the double black diamonds any more.)

I don’t disagree.  I’m worried about it as well 💯. Until I see him play in a game, I’ll be a little worried.  Seemed as if we was made of glass early in his career.  

My point was that Nogoodposts was taking is usual extreme negative approach 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t disagree.  I’m worried about it as well 💯. Until I see him play in a game, I’ll be a little worried.  Seemed as if we was made of glass early in his career.  

My point was that Nogoodposts was taking is usual extreme negative approach 

Perhaps early, though in the two seasons prior to this last injury he had missed only two games. Mid-career, he had been pretty reliable.

Nevertheless, as others have pointed out, nobody should expect that he is back to his old self at this point, or even close to it. The knee will give him problems in his first action back, there's no question it will. He hasn't done a lot of the physical things he's needed to do in a long time, no matter how much rehab he has been doing. He's testing it now in ways that he couldn't do otherwise. It will take time.

The hope is that he continues to improve with time, as his body adjusts. By the end of camp, if he is still having trouble (or has a setback), then that would be cause for concern.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Saying he’s obviously struggling is a crazy take.

Exactly.....the guy hasn't practiced 3 days in a row in over 9 months....the bigger surprise would be if he wasn't a little sore at this point.....Thad is a tool, no need to pay attention to his nonsense, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Perhaps early, though in the two seasons prior to this last injury he had missed only two games. Mid-career, he had been pretty reliable.

Nevertheless, as others have pointed out, nobody should expect that he is back to his old self at this point, or even close to it. The knee will give him problems in his first action back, there's no question it will. He hasn't done a lot of the physical things he's needed to do in a long time, no matter how much rehab he has been doing. He's testing it now in ways that he couldn't do otherwise. It will take time.

The hope is that he continues to improve with time, as his body adjusts. By the end of camp, if he is still having trouble (or has a setback), then that would be cause for concern.

Yeah he was definitely an injury worry early on.  I had a buddy that knew a S&T guy on the bills and he said they were worried that his body wouldn’t hold up. 

agree with the rest-  he had 2 years of being relatively healthy 

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Reasonable take. Everyone is concerned and everyone has seen him hopping around and testing it. Like I mentioned before there’s a range of outcomes and we don’t know where he land but I think it’s pretty good thing he made it through three full practices even though the third one you could tell, he was in some discomfort. 

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

There is nothing less important than training camp news. I tune out all of this nonsense. 

90% of this board can accurately predict 50 of the 53 final roster guys right now. 

noted

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

So . is this where the screen name was derived from ?

JK and always appreciative Rocky :)

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

There is nothing less important than training camp news. I tune out all of this nonsense. 

90% of this board can accurately predict 50 of the 53 final roster guys right now. 

Part of the fun , being a fan and supporting wishful thinking. Which is healthy !

My controversial subject is Von

Milano , is such a beast he likely needs strong Coaching to not jump back in early. But most reports suggest he will be full go +1 by 1st game , as he has progressed greatly . I thought he might be done , honestly. No more.

Training camp news is fun. projecting can also be fun. For most '.... 

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

So . is this where the screen name was derived from ?

JK and always appreciative Rocky :)

That tibial plateau fracture I suffered was from a very foolish blind air I took, and found the only patch of ice I had seen all day. More of an Icy Landing, really...