Von Miller Saying He Probably Shouldn't Have Played Last Year

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

It was.   But I don't know why anyone needs to get aggressive with the OP because he missed it.

And Von is right.  He shouldn't have played last year.

I think he said it again.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone that was not legally blind would have told you this guy should have been on IR all season last year.

All of the Von supporters on TBD  are afraid to call it for what it is.  He is done he is not going to miraculously round back into form 

the way he was before his injury.

2 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

Anyone that was not legally blind would have told you this guy should have been on IR all season last year.

All of the Von supporters on TBD  are afraid to call it for what it is.  He is done he is not going to miraculously round back into form 

Well, that is certainly one guess. It could be right. Or wrong.

Anyone with a clue knows that all we can do is guess, and one guess is pretty much as good as another.  Which is how it works with the future.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Whereas he was telling the team this time last year he would be good for week 1. 

Basically I don't believe a word Von says. All he has done since he got here ia spin bull####.

In fairness to him, he was spot on when he said the bills were going to get Beckham in 2022...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

But last year he was saying I'll be good for week 1! This guy is a lying wife beating clown. Anyone know when we can realistically get rid of him without taking a massive dead cap hit?

after  this season

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Remember when even after the ACL scan he was telling fans he would be back within a couple of weeks. When he knew and the team knew the ligament was torn.

Didn't they go in find out it was worse and then do the surgery, like they initially thought what he had was something he could come back from that season.

• Agree 1

Von had no bend or acceleration until maybe the KC playoff game, and even that was like 50% what he normally would have.  Hope he's mostly back this season that's for sure.

Seeing the Milano video and interviews I'm getting Von flashbacks.  Hope Matt takes his time on the come back.

15 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

That’s why his “I shouldn’t have been playing last season” comment annoyed me.  Without exaggeration, Von was consistently the weakest player on defense.  It should have become clear to both the Bills and Von that he physically wasn’t ready, yet it took them until Week 17 to figure this out.  

I think it’s a long shot that Von will ever get back to the player he was pre-ACL.   But he was so bad last season, I think it will be impossible for him not to play better.   I’d bet anything that this is his final season with Buffalo.

With that being said, I don’t fault Beane for taking the big swing to land Von.  Every player is one bad injury away from changing the trajectory of their career and you can’t really predict ACL tears.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/26/2024 at 6:52 AM, GunnerBill said:

Whereas he was telling the team this time last year he would be good for week 1. 

Basically I don't believe a word Von says. All he has done since he got here ia spin bull####.

Yeah, because so many of these incredible pro athletes are wired to say things like, "Yeah, you know, I'll do my best, but probably won't actually be myself for another couple of years, if ever."

You're right of course that he's consistently overestimated his ability to recover, but when he was younger he really did have an almost miraculous recovery or two. He's almost psychotically positive, but it kinda comes with the job description, doesn't it?

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

That’s why his “I shouldn’t have been playing last season” comment annoyed me.  Without exaggeration, Von was consistently the weakest player on defense.  It should have become clear to both the Bills and Von that he physically wasn’t ready, yet it took them until Week 17 to figure this out.  

I think it’s a long shot that Von will ever get back to the player he was pre-ACL.   But he was so bad last season, I think it will be impossible for him not to play better.   I’d bet anything that this is his final season with Buffalo.

With that being said, I don’t fault Beane for taking the big swing to land Von.  Every player is one bad injury away from changing the trajectory of their career and you can’t really predict ACL tears.  

Again, doesn't really make sense.

He wasn't saying that he knew at the time he shouldn't have been out there. He was saying that in hindsight he sees he shouldn't have been out there.

And no, it shouldn't have been obvious that he wouldn't be better in the near future, which is what Von and the Bills were hoping. And it was a reasonable thing to hope for.

Yeah, he wasn't good enough at that time, but it could have gotten better at any time. Hell, near the end of the season he was starting to flash. No consistency, but you saw flashes. And you hoped there would be more. There was not. No getting around that. But it was a very reasonable possibility.

You may well be right that he never comes back to his pre-ACL level. But there's a reasonable possibility that he does, or at least gets close. It's getting towards two years on from the injury. We'll know soon enough.

Final here season this year? Yeah, I think I'd agree with that. I'd put that at significantly over a 50% chance.

• Like (+1) 1

Con Miller, domestic assault, robbery.  Don't believe a word he says anymore.  When you think about it, it's more impressive that the defense was able to survive with 10 men on the field half the time

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, because so many of these incredible pro athletes are wired to say things like, "Yeah, you know, I'll do my best, but probably won't actually be myself for another couple of years, if ever."

You're right of course that he's consistently overestimated his ability to recover, but when he was younger he really did have an almost miraculous recovery or two. He's almost psychotically positive, but it kinda comes with the job description, doesn't it?

No I don't think it does come with the job. It is what I call toxic positivity. I can't have those people around me who will look at disaster and try and tell me the sun is shining. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Again, doesn't really make sense.

He wasn't saying that he knew at the time he shouldn't have been out there. He was saying that in hindsight he sees he shouldn't have been out there.

And no, it shouldn't have been obvious that he wouldn't be better in the near future, which is what Von and the Bills were hoping. And it was a reasonable thing to hope for.

Yeah, he wasn't good enough at that time, but it could have gotten better at any time. Hell, near the end of the season he was starting to flash. No consistency, but you saw flashes. And you hoped there would be more. There was not. No getting around that. But it was a very reasonable possibility.

You may well be right that he never comes back to his pre-ACL level. But there's a reasonable possibility that he does, or at least gets close. It's getting towards two years on from the injury. We'll know soon enough.

Final here season this year? Yeah, I think I'd agree with that. I'd put that at significantly over a 50% chance.

It’s way higher than 50%.  The way the deal was structured it was always going to be 3 years.  It would really take a strong performance to ever consider bringing back Von at his age and salary.  

I’m not sure where you’re seeing this “hope” last season.  There were very few “flashes” from Miller from both a pass rush and run defender on the edge.   Take a look at his stats - you can argue he was one of the least effective starters at DE in the league.  

In fact, he was routinely one of the worst players on defense which forced the team to make him inactive for the biggest game of the season in Week 18.  He show a few flashes in the postseason but was overall a non factor.