Von Miller Saying He Probably Shouldn't Have Played Last Year

This was discussed a while ago. But, he sounds motivated. That's good. Anything we get out of him this year is a bonus. Expectations are pretty low for him.

just play well,  keep your mouth shut,  dont do anything dumb off field,  people will jump back on the Von wagon quick like.  fans have a short memory if you produce and arent annoying.  show us,  dont tell us.

The animosity towards Miller is amazing. He was on track to do exactly what we needed him to do and he got hurt. This is football. It sucks, but it happens. If its about his domestic situation maybe you didn't read up on him prior to coming here. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

The animosity towards Miller is amazing. He was on track to do exactly what we needed him to do and he got hurt. This is football. It sucks, but it happens. If its about his domestic situation maybe you didn't read up on him prior to coming here. 

Exactly 

Bad luck ruined a season and a half for him 

3 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I know, this one is making me way more annoyed than I thought it would... like obviously he wasn't ready to play.

What I'm not sure on is if he knew it at the time and was just saying he was fine...or if he genuinely believed he was fine, because you kinda need that level of self confidence to just make it to D1, let alone the nfl, and looking back upon introspection and reviewing the outcome he realized it was the wrong move.

I really hope it's the second and he learns from this, but totally agree, this makes it hard to trust anything he says...positive thinking is cool and I'm sure he believes in positive manifestation, but maybe he could work on positively manifesting some honest appraisal as well...

The whole situation is kind of infuriating.

If he knew he shouldn’t have been playing he never should have been pushing to play.  Also Buffalo never should have taken him off IR until he was ready.  

I don’t find Von playing when he knew his knee wasn’t ready to be admirable.  Just the opposite, as his play hurt the team.  

Von had 0 sacks and 3 tackles in 12 games last season.  It’s not a stretch to believe that role players like Shaq Lawson, Kingsley Jonathan or even Kameron Cline could have been more productive with his snaps.

I always thought the game against Cincinnati was very telling.  It was 3rd and 2 and the Bills were down a score and Von’s responsibility was to hold the edge.  Bengals run right at Von and he’s great position to make the stop.  Just Joe Mixon broke his ankles, picking up the first down and ending the game. 

So much for “the Closer.”

I really hope Von can turn things around but it can be understated how ineffective he was last season.  

13 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Everyone understands that the injury derailed his stint in Buffalo.  The frustration comes from comments he made that shouldn’t have been playing.

If he shouldn’t have been playing, why was he pushing to return as quickly as he did.  And why did Buffalo activate and play him when it clear he wasn’t anywhere close to ready?  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The whole situation is kind of infuriating.

If he knew he shouldn’t have been playing he never should have been pushing to play.  Also Buffalo never should have taken him off IR until he was ready.  

I don’t find Von playing when he knew his knee wasn’t ready to be admirable.  Just the opposite, as his play hurt the team.  

Von had 0 sacks and 3 tackles in 12 games last season.  It’s not a stretch to believe that role players like Shaq Lawson, Kingsley Jonathan or even Kameron Cline could have been more productive with his snaps.

I always thought the game against Cincinnati was very telling.  It was 3rd and 2 and the Bills were down a score and Von’s responsibility was to hold the edge.  Bengals run right at Von and he’s great position to make the stop.  Just Joe Mixon broke his ankles, picking up the first down and ending the game. 

So much for “the Closer.”

I really hope Von can turn things around but it can be understated how ineffective he was last season.  

Everyone understands that the injury derailed his stint in Buffalo.  The frustration comes from comments he made that shouldn’t have been playing.

If he shouldn’t have been playing, why was he pushing to return as quickly as he did.  And why did Buffalo activate and play him when it clear he wasn’t anywhere close to ready?  

Then people would hate him because he didn’t play 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

This was discussed a while ago. But, he sounds motivated. That's good. Anything we get out of him this year is a bonus. Expectations are pretty low for him.

It was.   But I don't know why anyone needs to get aggressive with the OP because he missed it.

And Von is right.  He shouldn't have played last year.

Wait, you mean hindsight is 20/20?

Who'da thunk it?

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

This.

He thought he was doing the best thing for him and the team. Turned out not to work that way.

If only he'd known the future, he might have acted differently.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Not if they knew how poorly he played.  The criticism for Miller last year is warranted IMO

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Who'da thunk it?

This.

He thought he was doing the best thing for him and the team. Turned out not to work that way.

If only he'd known the future, he might have acted differently.

It’s not hindsight when Von was the least effective player in the field week after week.  I know the Bills made him inactive in Week 17.  It probably should have happened weeks earlier.  His play was so bad

34 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It was.   But I don't know why anyone needs to get aggressive with the OP because he missed it.

And Von is right.  He shouldn't have played last year.

People in this thread would disagree with you 

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

That's not the way it worked. He and the team knew he wasn't ready each day. But both thought that with the work, he might get better and be ready to be a difference maker before the end of the season.

That's not the way it turned out.

But it could have. That's what they were hoping, and it wasn't unreasonable to think it might.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Who'da thunk it?

This.

Yup. I don't have a problem with Von. I didn't think he was a boy scout when we signed him. His first year he clearly showed us why we signed him. He was trending towards the highest sack total we had since Mario Williams and he gave Mahomes problems. Then he gets hurt. He tries to come back as fast as possible which is what everybody wanted him to do (for obvious reasons). He plays like crap (go figure). Then he has the domestic incident and he's basically become one of our least liked players.

When push comes to shove Bills fans don't like him because he tied up a lot of money while not being able to produce which is a pretty common situation in the NFL based on injuries. He took a pay cut this year which he didn't have to do and if he can return to some level of form he can be a massive addition to the defense. He's not winning NFL man of the year but people shouldn't watch football so they can find potential child care. He's very respected in the league and I expect him to turn it around this year.  

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Not if they knew how poorly he played.  The criticism for Miller last year is warranted IMO

This makes no sense, John.

They wouldn't have known.

He either plays and they find out, or he doesn't play and they don't find out.

He's right, if he hadn't played, he'd have gotten a ton of guff about how he didn't even try.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

It’s not hindsight when Von was the least effective player in the field week after week.  I know the Bills made him inactive in Week 17.  It probably should have happened weeks earlier.  His play was so bad

Um, no, it was precisely hindsight, and your own post points it out.

The reason they knew that in Week 17 was that they had played him each game earlier and seen what happened.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 2