The Bills "Don't have positions" - Joe Brady

Chaos

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Slight correction, Cruyff played in the Dutch teams of the 70s. The great sides of the 70s and 80s were coached by Rinus Michels who was the godfather of modern football. I often think of him as a bit like Don Coryell in the NFL. His influence is still all over the place but he rarely gets talked about as an all time great in the way he should.

Ah...that's correct...thank you. Cruyff was starring on those teams not coaching.

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ah...that's correct...thank you. Cruyff was starring on those teams not coaching.

He was. Then he took it as coaching to Barcelona and influenced a young catalan midfielder called Pep Guardiola. But it all started with Michels.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I do expect Josh to find the exploitive matchup and deliver the ball correctly a vast majority of times.

I HOPE the whatever you call thems will:

a) Contest balls

b) Catch them;

c) Run forward with them…

the vast majority of times!

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I think Brady plans to be "Mr Matchup". He collected a pile of skill players with different skillsets, and -- based on the camp report from day one -- plans to employ a multitude of motions and shifts to get certain offensive players matched up against certain defensive players in isolation or against certain coverages, and expects Josh to simply find and exploit the most advantageous matchup. That may sound like an obvious, "duh" sort of statement, but it's not exactly how things worked under Ken Dorsey or Brian Daboll.

1 hour ago, finn said:

Allen at TE!

Why not, we already have Allen at RB.  

Maybe he can play C too.  

This also implies that perhaps there was more to Diggs' release than has been let on.  Because the reasons for his release now make even less sense at face value anyway.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Logic said:

In all seriousness, I do believe that the future of offensive football is "positionless" to a certain extent.

To call Christian McCaffrey a running back does not accurately describe all that he does. To call prime Deebo Samuel a wide receiver does not accurately describe all that he does. To call Dalton Kincaid a tight end does not accurately describe all that he does.

You get the picture. 

I think Brady plans to be "Mr Matchup". He collected a pile of skill players with different skillsets, and -- based on the camp report from day one -- plans to employ a multitude of motions and shifts to get certain offensive players matched up against certain defensive players in isolation or against certain coverages, and expects Josh to simply find and exploit the most advantageous matchup. That may sound like an obvious, "duh" sort of statement, but it's not exactly how things worked under Ken Dorsey or Brian Daboll.

I agree, and that's what I've been saying about McDermott's approach in general.  I mean, is Bernard really a middle linebacker or just a glorified safety?  I think McDermott almost would be willing to play with seven safeties instead of corners, linebackers and safeties. 

Same thing with the offensive line, except the size of the players is different.  He wants mobile guys who can pass block and power block.  McDermott might play with five Spencer Browns, if he could find them.  

Clearly, it's being tried with the wideouts (and running backs) (and tight ends).  It's not literally true, but it's feeling like everyone is playing everywhere.  

In McDermott's perfect world, I think he has 11 well-trained athletes on the field playing almost interchangeably.  

And I still worry that the problem with this approach is that it works great until they play a Chris Jones or a Tyreek Hill or another stud who is just really, really good, and none of McDermott's jackknives can handle the guy. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

This sounds like one of those drought era quotes that made you think they had something creative and unpredictable for defenses and then a couple years later we're laughing at how stupid it was.

Not saying it's that, just that it's reminiscent.

I think this is more a direct response to the fan and media's Obsession over the term Number 1 WR.  

The obsession over numbering the WR happens on every team and its pointless.  The best teams always have players that are versatile whether its at WR or O-Line or Dline.  

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

The statement reminds me of UConn women’s 
BB coach Geno Auriema when he was operating with the same concept while he was winning his dozen National Championships, conceptually it’s a good concept and as said above, will be a headache for DCs 

fingers crossed 🤞 

Except Geno’s teams usually have more talent than almost every team they play. While most NFL WRs can play more than one position, their success depends (in part) on their abilities. You need look no further than Gabe Davis running quick outs to see how poorly it can go when a WR is asked to do something they don’t have the talent to do well. 

That all said, there’s nothing wrong with Brady’s comments. See what your guys can do and mix it up as you can. And keep the league guessing as to what you’re doing as much as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've now seen in this thread how Brady's statement of offensive philosophy can be compared to:

1. Geno Auriemma's UCONN women's basketball teams

2. The San Francisco 49ers offensive skilled position talent

3. Top Euro soccer stars of the 1970s

4. McDermott's concept on defensive personnel 

Kenny Bania would respond to this kind of material in this way:

image.png.a328c446dcec1c1afa4d1b5260279d10.png

Edited by BillsVet

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Everyone being able to attack from anywhere sounds like a massive headache for a DC, if you can get everyone to be able to do it.

This is exactly what I've been saying since we drafted Coleman and signed Samuel, MVS and Claypool.  DC's will have no clue week to week who to key on.  We won't be handcuffed force feeding targets to a diva. Like what's being emphasized in camp...."everyone eats"...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I've now seen in this thread how Brady's statement of offensive philosophy can be compared to:

1. Geno Auriemma's UCONN women's basketball teams

2. The San Francisco 49ers offensive skilled position talent

3. Top Euro soccer stars of the 1970s

4. McDermott's concept on defensive personnel 

Kenny Bania would respond to this kind of material in this way:

image.png.a328c446dcec1c1afa4d1b5260279d10.png

Magic Johnson could play any position.  Welcome to the Showtime Bills

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is exactly what I've been saying since we drafted Coleman and signed Samuel, MVS and Claypool.  DC's will have no clue week to week who to key on.  We won't be handcuffed force feeding targets to a diva. Like what's being emphasized in camp...."everyone eats"...

Don't get carried away.

DC's will know as the season goes on the tendencies.  Doesn't mean they can stop it just like we know exactly what we are getting when we play kc and cincy but can not stop it.  

There are no mysteries in the NFL an there are certainly no geniuses.

• Agree 1

I really think we are overdoing it here.   It's not like he was saying the offense is some amorphous scheme that has the Dion Dawkins lined up at TE, and Keon Coleman at RG.   I think its pretty clear they are going to try and utilize Samuel's speed whether trying to get him in space at RB and in the slot or using him on the boundary on 9 routes.   I also think it's pretty clear a lot of media people who write about football know next to nothing about the game.     

• Thank you (+1) 2

the trick is to find a group of players who have the intellectual ability to absorb the nuances of multiple spots in the offense and retain it. As well as the coaches to teach them what they don't yet know and keep them on the path to improvement, and teammates who help each other through it

Hopefully it works out because it does sound like an advantage for the offense. I do forsee growing pains with all the motions and position juggling

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Why not, we already have Allen at RB.  

Maybe he can play C too.  

This also implies that perhaps there was more to Diggs' release than has been let on.  Because the reasons for his release now make even less sense at face value anyway.  

The reason he was traded was he wanted out, didn't want to be here and his relationship with Josh had been bad to non-existent at times from the middle of 2022. Having a checked out player and that constant tension between your QB and top WR isn't healthy.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

This sounds like one of those drought era quotes that made you think they had something creative and unpredictable for defenses and then a couple years later we're laughing at how stupid it was.

Not saying it's that, just that it's reminiscent.

I remember one game - I can't even remember the situation - Mularkey said after the game about some key play in the game "There was no Plan B" - which I guess could be interpreted as "We were all in on that" but I think he meant they literally had no alternate plan 😛

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

I think this is more a direct response to the fan and media's Obsession over the term Number 1 WR.  

The obsession over numbering the WR happens on every team and its pointless.  The best teams always have players that are versatile whether its at WR or O-Line or Dline.  

I think it's the lettering - not the numbering - and the concerns the Bills don't have a qualified X.