The Bills "Don't have positions" - Joe Brady

Chaos

• Chaos changed the title to The Bills "Don't have positions" - Joe Brady

The statement reminds me of UConn women’s 
BB coach Geno Auriema when he was operating with the same concept while he was winning his dozen National Championships, conceptually it’s a good concept and as said above, will be a headache for DCs 

fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like (+1) 1

In all seriousness, I do believe that the future of offensive football is "positionless" to a certain extent.

To call Christian McCaffrey a running back does not accurately describe all that he does. To call prime Deebo Samuel a wide receiver does not accurately describe all that he does. To call Dalton Kincaid a tight end does not accurately describe all that he does.

You get the picture. 

I think Brady plans to be "Mr Matchup". He collected a pile of skill players with different skillsets, and -- based on the camp report from day one -- plans to employ a multitude of motions and shifts to get certain offensive players matched up against certain defensive players in isolation or against certain coverages, and expects Josh to simply find and exploit the most advantageous matchup. That may sound like an obvious, "duh" sort of statement, but it's not exactly how things worked under Ken Dorsey or Brian Daboll.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

In all seriousness, I do believe that the future of offensive football is "positionless" to a certain extent.

To call Christian McCaffrey a running back does not accurately describe all that he does. To call prime Deebo Samuel a wide receiver does not accurately describe all that he does. To call Dalton Kincaid a tight end does not accurately describe all that he does.

You get the picture. 

I think Brady plans to be "Mr Matchup". He collected a pile of skill players with different skillsets, and -- based on the camp report from day one -- plans to employ a multitude of motions and shifts to get certain offensive players matched up against certain defensive players in isolation or against certain coverages, and expects Josh to simply find and exploit the most advantageous matchup. That may sound like an obvious, "duh" sort of statement, but it's not exactly how things worked under Ken Dorsey or Brian Daboll.

Dorsey and Daboll played more against coverage, not people. In theory, you have an answer for everything a defense does...so as a concept it is great. But defenses have gotten pretty good at disguising coverage, and if the WR needs to read it just like the QB, there is a better chance somebody messes up.

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 1

This is the new age of offense in the game of football. I tried to say this numerous times when people were pining for a guy who was a traditional X and noted that many NFL teams don't have a traditional Z,X,Y,F anymore in their Wide Receiver rooms. I expect Coleman to line up inside and outside as well as the rest of the guys. Obviously Samuel will do both and be in the backfield.

The game of football is now about as many offensive packages as possible to make defenses have to prepare in a short period of time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Sounds like the "Total Football" concept made famous by the great teams in the Netherlands in the mid 70s and 80s under Johan Cruyff and then FC Barcelona...

Players don't have a position and are pretty much free to go wherever they want and their teammates are expected to see, react and cover them.  Basically it required great spatial awareness to be able to see openings and both exploit them on offense and cover them on defense.

Will be interesting to see what Brady's concepts look like with this transferred to the NFL.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 6

A few positions will have a different body type but this is the future of the NFL. Look at the NBA and think about the logic of the statement. Every eligible player needs to put pressure on the defense at the same time. The modern NFL has been going this route for a long time. If I have concern with this concept it's the complexity off our option routes which many former Bills WR's said was among one of the more difficult systems they learned. At the end of the day execution is the most important thing and we have a lot of young players.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Dorsey and Daboll played more against coverage, not people. In theory, you have an answer for everything a defense does...so as a concept it is great. But defenses have gotten pretty good at disguising coverage, and if the WR needs to read it just like the QB, there is a better chance somebody messes up.

The difference between the two is Daboll did things to give his guys an advantage. Dorsey's ethos was just "run the play and execute better than the defense."

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1

With data coming into sports the way it has over the past two decades, sports like Football have turned into more and more of a "we can describe every facet of an offense and defense each play".  At the end of the day, its very hard to "out-creative" your opponent consistently for 60 minutes.

What I like about Brady, is he understands that when the ability to out create someone is minimal, you win or lose by the ability of the players involved in the moment.  Which is why his offense looks to be driven by creating matchups that maximize his player's abilities.  A defense can prepare for what you do, but if you rollout 4 6'4+ targets the defense is immediately at a disadvantage.

This team has the ability to play matchup nightmare for 60 minutes.  You have a QB who can run, an RB who can catch, WRs who can block and win one on ones, TEs who can block and run routes.  It's versatile 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sounds like the "Total Football" concept made famous by the great teams in the Netherlands in the mid 70s and 80s under Johan Cruyff and then FC Barcelona...

Players don't have a position and are pretty much free to go wherever they want and their teammates are expected to see, react and cover them.  Basically it required great spatial awareness to be able to see openings and both exploit them on offense and cover them on defense.

Will be interesting to see what Brady's concepts look like with this transferred to the NFL.

Slight correction, Cruyff played in the Dutch teams of the 70s. The great sides of the 70s and 80s were coached by Rinus Michels who was the godfather of modern football. I often think of him as a bit like Don Coryell in the NFL. His influence is still all over the place but he rarely gets talked about as an all time great in the way he should.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1