Commercial flight pet peeves

eball

8 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

The people, when the flight stops, immediately stand up and get in the aisle trying to get in front of like two people to try and get off quicker.

Just wait til it is your rows turn

8 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Was just about to post this same thing!   I usually sit there and wait till most people are off the plane.  it's a circus when the flight is over.   

Also, can't stand when my wife nudges me because Im snoring on the plane.   WTH?   

I'm taller than most, and I always get up and into the aisle the instant the seat belt sign goes off.  Despite grabbing an aisle seat whenever possible to give me a chance to move one knee out of the seat back in front of me, I am always uncomfortable by the time the plane lands, even if I am not sitting behind some jerk who tries to rapidly recline his seat and succeeds only in further jamming my knees.  Very few people who immediately stand up in the aisle try to actually rush off the plane (although it does occasionally happen).  You might want to cut the people who immediately stand up but wait their turn to deplane a little slack before calling them rude, especially if they are tall.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

SWA after 50+ years is 86in' "Open Seating"

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/25/investing/southwest-airlines-assigned-seats/index.html

41 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

I'm taller than most, and I always get up and into the aisle the instant the seat belt sign goes off.  Despite grabbing an aisle seat whenever possible to give me a chance to move one knee out of the seat back in front of me, I am always uncomfortable by the time the plane lands, even if I am not sitting behind some jerk who tries to rapidly recline his seat and succeeds only in further jamming my knees.  Very few people who immediately stand up in the aisle try to actually rush off the plane (although it does occasionally happen).  You might want to cut the people who immediately stand up but wait their turn to deplane a little slack before calling them rude, especially if they are tall.

Unless the plane is late and people are making connections. The airline should announce to let them pass thru. 

People are incredibly slow🐌😴... And lug too much shi... People should be forced to check everything!

I’ve actually been on flights where it appears they allowed Canadians on board.  I can’t prove it but they had accents, lacked teeth and kept asking stupid questions.  One dude even had a Celine Dion t-shirt.  

Also I agree with the bare feet thing.  Why?

Thank God in heaven I have never experienced a suspected Canadian with bare feet.  Can you imagine?

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’ve actually been on flights where it appears they allowed Canadians on board.  I can’t prove it but they had accents, lacked teeth and kept asking stupid questions.  One dude even had a Celine Dion t-shirt.  

Also I agree with the bare feet thing.  Why?

Thank God in heaven I have never experienced a suspected Canadian with bare feet.  Can you imagine?

You think that’s bad, try flying on a Canadian airline.  The FAs will make you take your headphones off and tell you to listen to their safety briefing.  Listen FA Florence, I’ve flown enough to know how to get out of a plane that just hit a moose, it’s the same as our freedom loving, do what you want, we don’t care, US based airplanes.  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

I fail to see where I called anyone rude, but there are obvious exceptions as would be in your case. Most of the people who get up and clog the lane are not in your situation I would wager

I forgot one.  It is absolutely disgusting to have to take your shoes off and walk through the TSA checkpoint.  Some people actually walk through barefoot.  The amount of toe jam, sweat, fungus, Psoriasis, blood, bacteria, popped blisters, dead skin, athlete's foot, and overall general funk on the floor makes me want to barf.  Yuck!   

Edited by Irv

3 minutes ago, Irv said:

I forgot one.  It is absolutely disgusting to have to take your shoes off and walk through the TSA checkpoint.  Some people actually walk through barefoot.  The amount of toe jam, dead skin, athlete's foot, and overall general funk on the floor makes me want to barf.  Yuck!   

Last couple of times I've flown out of DCA, they have you go past the bomb-sniffing dogs, so that when you get to the checkpoint, you can keep everything on and just put your bag through the x-ray machine.  Much more convenient.  Dogs...we don't deserve them. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Ha, done this flight before! Usually in southwest we just buy the business fares to get A1-A5. If you are flying to Orlando you better have A or you are not getting in the plane. Entirely pre-boarding and family boarding for those ones. 

I have never had any issues with SWA at MCO as long as I made sure I checked in right at the 24 hr mark. The 4 of us always can sit together. If flying to MCO and you have option use JetBlue since they are in new terminal which is pretty and more wide open. 

11 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Ha, done this flight before! Usually in southwest we just buy the business fares to get A1-A5. If you are flying to Orlando you better have A or you are not getting in the plane. Entirely pre-boarding and family boarding for those ones. 

I recently flew Southwest as A-1.  I was maybe the 30th person on the plane after all the wheelchair preboards and their entire extended family and friends.  The wheelchair preboard in front of me spent the entire flight pacing up and down the aisle.  And of course, zero wheelchairs were needed to deplane.  

The commercial airline industry is hands down the worst "service industry" in the world. They don't even pretend to care anymore...it's all about the almighty $$.

But most of my pet peeves are reserved for the crap my fellow passengers do, and pretty much all have been mentioned here. I'd add:

• people who put small carryons (shoulder bags, small backpacks, etc) in the overhead on crowded flights preventing others with roller bags from using that space. Don't be a DB, just put your small sh-t under the seat unless there is clearly room above.
  • Seat savers on SW...but thankfully SW is doing away with their current process and changing to the normal assigned seats later this year
  • Airlines waiting until the last possible minute to announce a delay, when anyone with half a brain and a smartphone and look on FlightAware or similar and see the inbound flight won't even land until 5 minutes before your scheduled departure
  • The standard "15 minutes" update. For example "Folks, we are just waiting for some paperwork and then we'll be pushing back from the gate. Should be 15 minutes." 30 minutes later...

Every ####### on every flight now thinks "I have a tight connection" is a clever way to force your way to the front of the plane when disembarking.  Half the time I see these people in line at Starbucks 5 minutes later.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DD4Bills said:

The commercial airline industry is hands down the worst "service industry" in the world. They don't even pretend to care anymore...it's all about the almighty $$.

But most of my pet peeves are reserved for the crap my fellow passengers do, and pretty much all have been mentioned here. I'd add:

• people who put small carryons (shoulder bags, small backpacks, etc) in the overhead on crowded flights preventing others with roller bags from using that space. Don't be a DB, just put your small sh-t under the seat unless there is clearly room above.
  • Seat savers on SW...but thankfully SW is doing away with their current process and changing to the normal assigned seats later this year
  • Airlines waiting until the last possible minute to announce a delay, when anyone with half a brain and a smartphone and look on FlightAware or similar and see the inbound flight won't even land until 5 minutes before your scheduled departure
  • The standard "15 minutes" update. For example "Folks, we are just waiting for some paperwork and then we'll be pushing back from the gate. Should be 15 minutes." 30 minutes later...

The problem with this is, with the lack of any space at all, there isn’t even room underneath for a bag. I always fly with a backpack, I also am a taller guy. If I put my backpack underneath the seat in front of me, my knees would be in my chest for the entire flight. Therefore, it always goes above. My logic is, I am as entitled to space in the overhead bin as anyone else. Also, I’m usually traveling with my family of 4 and we almost always only have 2 backpacks. So we always under-utilize our space. 

Baggage claim - No need to get right on top of the carousel, you're not going to get your bag any faster.  If I had my way, I'd put a line about 3 feet out from the edge of the belt, and have people stand behind it, until you see your bag.  

1 hour ago, Irv said:

I forgot one.  It is absolutely disgusting to have to take your shoes off and walk through the TSA checkpoint.  Some people actually walk through barefoot.  The amount of toe jam, sweat, fungus, Psoriasis, blood, bacteria, popped blisters, dead skin, athlete's foot, and overall general funk on the floor makes me want to barf.  Yuck!   

TSA PreCheck® | Transportation Security Administration ($78)

or if you're close to the Canadian border...

NEXUS | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov) (includes PreCheck, just $50 till this October, then it goes to $120, but the card is good for 5 years)

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The problem with this is, with the lack of any space at all, there isn’t even room underneath for a bag. I always fly with a backpack, I also am a taller guy. If I put my backpack underneath the seat in front of me, my knees would be in my chest for the entire flight. Therefore, it always goes above. My logic is, I am as entitled to space in the overhead bin as anyone else. Also, I’m usually traveling with my family of 4 and we almost always only have 2 backpacks. So we always under-utilize our space. 

I get you, but if it's betweeen forcing someone to check a roller bag (and further slow down an already painful boarding process) or having someone put their smaller item under the seat, it should be a no brainer.

I am also a taller guy, and what I do is as soon as we take off and the "10K feet" bell dings, I take my backpack out from under the seat and stand it up right in front of my seat. Legs go over the backpack and have the full space under the seat for my feet...until landing when the backpack goes back under.

• Like (+1) 1

When you get on the plane and everyone is still getting settled, the stewardess will get on PA and say, "Ladies and gentlemen, please find you seat and stow you bags quickly, we have a very full flight today."

Wait, what? It's not just full it's very full? WTH, are there people sitting on laps? Standing room only? Is everyone over 200 lbs? 😕

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Baggage claim - No need to get right on top of the carousel, you're not going to get your bag any faster.  If I had my way, I'd put a line about 3 feet out from the edge of the belt, and have people stand behind it, until you see your bag.  

TSA PreCheck® | Transportation Security Administration ($78)

or if you're close to the Canadian border...

NEXUS | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov) (includes PreCheck, just $50 till this October, then it goes to $120, but the card is good for 5 years)

That's why I got pre-check!

1 minute ago, Irv said:

I don't know how I managed to fly before pre-check, lounge access, and global entry.  Even with those perks it can still be a miserable experience.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

When you get on the plane and everyone is still getting settled, the stewardess will get on PA and say, "Ladies and gentlemen, please find you seat and stow you bags quickly, we have a very full flight today."

Wait, what? It's not just full it's very full? WTH, are there people sitting on laps? Standing room only? Is everyone over 200 lbs? 😕

To add to this. EVERY flight is full these days. They should really just announce when we don’t have a full flight, that would make things easier. 

5 minutes ago, Irv said:

The pre-check line is even getting absurd. It’s to the point where I’m seriously considering getting Clear so I can skip the pre-check line. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

buddy everybody is always uncomfortable by the time the plane lands

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't know how I managed to fly before pre-check, lounge access, and global entry.  Even with those perks it can still be a miserable experience.

im only deigning to drop into this thread to slum it up w you hoi polloi tbh, i only fly first class

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

buddy everybody is always uncomfortable by the time the plane lands

im only deigning to drop into this thread to slum it up w you hoi polloi tbh, i only fly first class

Do you have crazy CC rewards points racked up from the Corporate Amex?  I need to learn how to maximize my miles and points before the next big trip.