Commercial flight pet peeves

eball

- Bare feet. I will kill a *****. 

- People who talk non-stop all night or keep their overhead light on all night during a red-eye. Like...B word, we're all in a tacit agreement that this flight counts as sleepin' time. Don't be selfish.

- Winding up next to an extra-large human being whose extra-largeness spills over into my seat and personal area.

- People who recline their seats for the entirety of a flight but aren't even sleeping. It's one thing if it's a red-eye or you're trying to nap, but doing it just to do it is chump behavior.

- Parents who let their kids kick the back of the seat of the person in front of them over and over or generally let them run amok all flight.

- Someone asking me to switch my aisle or window seat for their middle seat so they can sit next to their loved one. Sorry bub, ain't happenin'. An even switch, like aisle for aisle? Sure. Otherwise, no dice.

- The fact that pilots say "rough air" now. It's turbulence. Just say turbulence.

- People who watch (or allow their children to watch) something on their device (or play a game with sound effects) without headphones, subjecting those around them to the noises from their personal entertainment. Are you kidding me? We used to live in a SOCIETY.

There are probably more, but I better stop because I'm gettin upset.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, qwksilver said:

People (that are not blind or do not have legitimate needs) that bring "service" animals on the plane....

I was waiting to board one flight and a 20's something girl comes up with her "service" dog in a stroller.  Has the service dog vest on.  But the vest had a website stitched on the side.  Looked it up and sure enough, "Pay $60 and we'll send you a certification and vest for your animal".

1 hour ago, Philly McButterpants said:

No, they ask me to remove my backpack from the overhead and stick it under my feet for the flight 😡

I've never been asked to take my backpack out of the overhead, maybe because it's larger and I stuff it full enough that it looks like it won't fit under a seat.  

18 minutes ago, Irv said:

Can't stand the following:  

1. DB's not waiting their turn to de-plane.

Coming home the other week, we land, get to the gate, and literally as soon as the seat belt sign was off, this guy from somewhere behind me practically sprinted to the front of the plane.  I know he did not have a connecting flight, we were landing in Syracuse, ain't no connections there, it's not a hub. 

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

- People who recline their seats for the entirety of a flight but aren't even sleeping. It's one thing if it's a red-eye or you're trying to nap, but doing it just to do it is chump behavior.

- Someone asking me to switch my aisle or window seat for their middle seat so they can sit next to their loved one. Sorry bub, ain't happenin'. An even switch, like aisle for aisle? Sure. Otherwise, no dice.

I recline mine just enough so I'm not sitting straight up.  And thankfully I've never been asked to switch seats.  I agree with you, same seat for same seat, or an upgrade towards the front, not further back.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Irv said:

Can't stand the following:  

1. DB's not waiting their turn to de-plane.
  2. DB's who lean their seat back.
  3. DB's who don't sit in their assigned seat.
  4. DB's who put their bags over someone else's seat.
  5. DB's who can't seem to hit the toilet with anything.
  6. DB's who don't turn down the sound on their devices.
  7. DB's who rush the counter while boarding even though they are in group 6.  
  8. DB's who walk right down the middle of the hallways in the airport.
  9. DB's who get a wheelchair and obviously don't need it.  
  10. DB's who take up two stools at the bar when it is crowded.  

What about RB’s?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I recline mine just enough so I'm not sitting straight up. 

I can respect that.

I recently flew from Portugal to Philly, a 7 hour+ daytime flight. I witnessed the person in front of me and to the left (luckily not directly in front of me) INSTANTLY recline their seat the full amount, and then proceed to leave it reclined for the entirety of the flight, the vast majority of which she was awake for.

I thought that was a pretty ***** thing to do to the person behind her. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I can respect that.

I recently flew from Portugal to Philly, a 7 hour+ daytime flight. I witnessed the person in front of me and to the left (luckily not directly in front of me) INSTANTLY recline their seat the full amount, and then proceed to leave it reclined for the entirety of the flight, the vast majority of which she was awake for.

100%.  Much of the blame lies with the airlines.  You should be able to recline your seat without it being in the teeth of the person's seat behind you.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

I can respect that.

ATL to London was about 8 hours, I think. About 30 minutes in the seat in front of me reclines all the way. I’m slightly taller than average at about 6’1” and there was nowhere for my legs to go, my knees were up against the back of the seat. Every little movement bounced this guy around. I apologized that I was jostling him, I had nowhere for my legs. He was a fellow Bills fan, and it turns out he only reclined after the guy in front of him had reclined. I’m glad we all worked it out, because I was going to kick him until we landed. 

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Irrational as it is, my biggest pet peeve (and fear) about commercial flight is the *super* young flight crews.

I was on a Delta flight recently and both Captain and FO looked barely drinking age and it made me uneasy.  The weirder thing was the flight attendants were both older women who could be their mothers.  

I think all airline pilots should look like 70s Efrem Zimbalist Jr. or Sally Ride.

If you had seen them drinking at the bar for a couple hours before the flight you could rest easy. You know those airport bars check everybody’s ID!   😋

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Aand it turns out he only reclined after the guy in front of him had reclined. I’m glad we all worked it out, because I was going to kick him until we landed. 

That's the thing, right? One person reclines, and the person behind him has no choice but to recline in order to be able to even take a breath, and before you know it, there's a chain reaction and the whole flight is reclined.

As someone else said, it really comes back to being an airline problem. With how much we all pay to fly nowadays, there's absolutely no reason for the seating to be as cramped as it is. Nothing but corporate greed at the cost of the consumer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The people, when the flight stops, immediately stand up and get in the aisle trying to get in front of like two people to try and get off quicker.

Just wait til it is your rows turn

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

The people, when the flight stops, immediately stand up and get in the aisle trying to get in front of like two people to try and get off quicker.

Just wait til it is your rows turn

Was just about to post this same thing!   I usually sit there and wait till most people are off the plane.  it's a circus when the flight is over.   

Also, can't stand when my wife nudges me because Im snoring on the plane.   WTH?   

• Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Was just about to post this same thing!   I usually sit there and wait till most people are off the plane.  it's a circus when the flight is over.   

Also, can't stand when my wife nudges me because Im snoring on the plane.   WTH?   

Are you drowning out the sound of the jet engines? Impressive!   😂 

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I was waiting to board one flight and a 20's something girl comes up with her "service" dog in a stroller.  Has the service dog vest on.  But the vest had a website stitched on the side.  Looked it up and sure enough, "Pay $60 and we'll send you a certification and vest for your animal".

What kind of "service" are they supposed to be providing if they are in a FNKN Stroller!!!

3 hours ago, Logic said:

- Bare feet. I will kill a *****. 

- People who talk non-stop all night or keep their overhead light on all night during a red-eye. Like...B word, we're all in a tacit agreement that this flight counts as sleepin' time. Don't be selfish.

- Winding up next to an extra-large human being whose extra-largeness spills over into my seat and personal area.

- Parents who let their kids kick the back of the seat of the person in front of them over and over or generally let them run amok all flight.

- The fact that pilots say "rough air" now. It's turbulence. Just say turbulence.

- People who watch (or allow their children to watch) something on their device (or play a game with sound effects) without headphones, subjecting those around them to the noises from their personal entertainment. Are you kidding me? We used to live in a SOCIETY.

There are probably more, but I better stop because I'm gettin upset.

Yeah, I’ve also seen people with bare feet, no socks in sight, on a plane. Aside from my shock, I have the think WTF is WRONG with you???  It’s not just disgusting for us, what are you putting your bare feet in? On a related note, I also don’t like to go tubing down a lazy river when the high fecal count is making the nightly news. Call me crazy!  🤷‍♂️

We have a good friend who badly needed back surgery. He’s a big guy, about 6’5” and 270lbs. His wife is tiny and could be of little help as he was losing mobility. They had to delay the surgery repeatedly because he got an infection between his toes they couldn’t clear up. They think he got it at the YMCA, but even after hospitalizing him the infection kept coming back, and the surgery and recovery kept getting delayed. 

He’s recovering now, but if this causes a single person to keep their shoes on, it was worth it!!!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The Southwest Airlines miracle flights. Half the passengers need wheelchairs when they board but are miraculously cured upon arrival and no longer need wheelchairs.

Came here to post exactly this. No other airline gets 10-20 preboards on a normal flight. Lots of invisible disabilities on a southwest flight. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Came here to post exactly this. No other airline gets 10-20 preboards on a normal flight. Lots of invisible disabilities on a southwest flight. 

I was walking through a terminal sometime earlier this year, one Southwest gate was going to one of the Caribbean islands, there was 25-30 wheelchairs lined up waiting to board.  Yes, that many.  So many they could not fit them in the boarding area and were spilling out into the walkway. 

1 hour ago, Whites Bay said:

If the miracle flights on Southwest flip your sh!t...I'd advise not flying to MCO or SNA.  "Okay, now we're boarding families with children 2 and under..."

Ha, done this flight before! Usually in southwest we just buy the business fares to get A1-A5. If you are flying to Orlando you better have A or you are not getting in the plane. Entirely pre-boarding and family boarding for those ones.