Training Camp 7/25

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

LOL, you'd think that they could have ironed that table drape.  It looks like someone pulled it out of the trunk of their car where it was all balled up.  

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Sounds like a post Diggs mentality,  I believe Allen will thrive in an everyone eats offense as we saw towards the end of last season. Diggs demanded attention on the field, and I think it hurt us a bunch.

I think that was a strategic decision made by the Bills back when they traded Diggs and declined to re-sign Davis.  With the constraints on the cap, the Bills decided not to try and sign one high priced alpha-dog.  They chose instead to bring in a bunch of guys with traits they wanted and instead of trying to manufacture a single alpha-dog, design an offense where the ball will be spread around.   If an alpha-dog happens to emerge in that offense, they can adapt, but they want to be able to function effectively without depending on it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Van Demark is going to be our starting RT after this year.  Brown is a FA next year?

I'd love to sign Brown long term--but I think you're right he is liekly gone, someone will overpay for a RT, and we likely need to draft a LT soon to backup, eventually replace Dawkins.  

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is the reason that participation in OTA is important. Given the number of choice routes and decisions, this is why all receivers need to know how their QB thinks. 

And why A Rogers was a selfish prick for skipping minicamp. Not that I mind. 

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, you'd think that they could have ironed that table drape.  It looks like someone pulled it out of the trunk of their car where it was all balled up.  

rookies just jumped through it.  Table was in pieces--looks good all things considered.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think that was a strategic decision made by the Bills back when they traded Diggs and declined to re-sign Davis.  With the constraints on the cap, the Bills decided not to try and sign one high priced alpha-dog.  They chose instead to bring in a bunch of guys with traits they wanted and instead of trying to manufacture a single alpha-dog, design an offense where the ball will be spread around.   If an alpha-dog happens to emerge in that offense, they can adapt, but they want to be able to function effectively without depending on it.

I also don't think they wanted to pursue a high priced Alpha WR. 

Have multiple capable targets with a different strengths, use lots of motion to figure out the D and hit the open man. Build them up as a team and get them to enjoy the success of their teammates

Just a reminder reading through this thread and Joe Buscaglia pointed it out yesterday McDermott likes to rotate guys in and out with the 1's by the day so do not read to much into who is with the 1's and who isn't on defense every day.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

I could be upset at this because the offense is losing reps, or happy that the defense is winning them. Training camp is strange for fans.

I think you only have reason to worry is if one side of the LOS is dominating consistently practice after practice.  You have to wonder if the domination is happening because one side is weak.  

Edited by BigAl2526

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think Keni-H Lovely might push to make this roster.

Every year there's a late round or UDFA corner that stands out, and I think it's Lovely this year.

JaMarcus Ingram might be ahead of Lovely in the pecking order, but I at least expect a practice squad spot for Lovely at the very worst.

• Agree 2

Updates from Matt Parrino:

Rough day of exchanges for Allen and McGovern. So the first thing they did after practice ended was work on it. I had at least two bad exchanges and Allen with a fumble on one play where it appeared Dion Dawkins was pushed into him by a rush from AJ Epenesa.

Curtis Samuel was absolutely brilliant today. He had at least 4 catches by my count and two were of the highlight reel variety. The first came on a play where Kaiir Elam was blitzing off the edge, which forced Allen to evade the pocket. He immediately locked on to Samuel who was crossing over the middle and put a dart on him for a big gain. The second was a beautiful quick deep ball near the hash marks on the right side. Cam Lewis had good coverage but it didn't matter. I was on the other end of the field but Samuel made sick grab on nice throw falling to ground and popped up and ran in for TD.

Samuel was all over the formation today. He was in the backfield on a few plays, in the slot, and out on the boundary. I think we'll see a lot of 11 with Samuel and Keon out wide and Shakir in the slot.

Ray Davis had some run with the first team today and on his first carry he fumbled it on a pitch from Allen. McDermott looked frustrated although Davis had a few more opportunities the rest of the day. I thought he ran well and his best one might have gone for monster game in between Torrence and Brown.

Ty Johnson still looks like RB2 from where I'm standing, though. Great day with a lot of juice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This seems interesting and I'd like to know more about how the mismatches play out:

"Putting Kincaid, Samuel, Coleman, and Cook in alignments to stress the defense and exploit mismatches."

If we're gonna have success this year without a number 1 it seems this is the way to go, out-scheming the D with a bunch of 2/3 guys and a very good tight end.

• Like (+1) 4