Anyone ever been to Halifax?

dhg

Me and my wife are thinking about driving to Halifax for vacation next summer. Looks beautiful.  Stop in Boston for a couple days then on to Nova Scotia. Coastal drive looks like it might be really scenic.

19 minutes ago, dhg said:

Me and my wife are thinking about driving to Halifax for vacation next summer. Looks beautiful.  Stop in Boston for a couple days then on to Nova Scotia. Coastal drive looks like it might be really scenic.

A number of years ago we took a New England cruise that included a stop in Halifax. We did an excursion from Halifax to Peggy's Cove and I thought the landscape was stunning and unique.  I've also driven the Maine coast north to south starting from Calais Maine and that was also amazing. On the other hand the drive from south to north through the middle of Maine to get to Calais was mostly boring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We also did a cruise there.  Beautiful area. Especially in the fall!  Peggy’s Cove is a must.

Couple interesting facts.  Halifax was pivotal in the rescue/recovery efforts regarding the Titanic.  Many of the dead were buried in Halifax, survivors were brought there and many ended up staying for some time.

Titanic connection

Halifax was also the site of the largest man made explosion at the time in 1917.  Couple of ships with collided in the harbor that caused the massive explosion.

Halifax explosion

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/24/2024 at 9:13 PM, dhg said:

Driving to Halifax is deceptively far from Boston. Almost 11 hours. If you do drive you might as well make a stop on Prince Edward Island and Charlottetown and drive the longest bridge in the world; the 13 km Confederation Bridge.

• Thank you (+1) 1