2024 Summer Olympics in Paris

If you like some of the lesser known sports, Peacock is a good choice.  I got it to watch the TDF when it was like $49.99 for an entire year.  I also get replays of just about all the Olympic sports plus the NFL games that are exclusively on Peacock.

BTW, Thomas Pidcock of Great Britain, another TDF participant, won gold in the men's mountain biking yesterday.  He came back from an early mechanical problem to win. 

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

If you like some of the lesser known sports, Peacock is a good choice.  I got it to watch the TDF when it was like $49.99 for an entire year.  I also get replays of just about all the Olympic sports plus the NFL games that are exclusively on Peacock.

BTW, Thomas Pidcock of Great Britain, another TDF participant, won gold in the men's mountain biking yesterday.  He came back from an early mechanical problem to win. 

Im not watching but heard about Pidcock and that "move" he made. Ive done that move in a few MTB races, myself 😍

On 7/26/2024 at 1:24 PM, SoTier said:

I'm a big fan of the Tour de France, the 3 week long cycling road race through various parts of France (and depending upon the year, parts of neighboring countries like Italy, Spain, Belgium and Monaco), so with the Olympics coming just a week later, I'm interested in seeing how the TDF riders fare.  The cycling time trial is tomorrow, with TDF 3rd place finisher Remco Evenepoel likely a favorite.  I believe he's the currrent world champion cycling time trialer.   The Olympic road race is later in the games, and one of the riders to watch is Matteo Jorgenson of the USA who finished 8th in the TDF and almost won a stage, losing by 21 seconds, to Tadej Pogacar, eventual TDF winner.

Pogacar dropping out took a lot of juice out of the Olypics race for me. Im not a huge Pogi fan, Im more of a Jonas guy but I felt he should be there.

People dont understand what the Tour is like for fans of the sport. Its literally a Super Bowl level must watch event every single day for three weeks. Even if the race is settled or the stage is a bit flat, the spectacle and intensity of the riders and crowds is just amazing.  On a seperate note, my GOD is Paul Sherwin missed and CVV belongs in studio doing analysis, not giving observations on course. I want to literally strangle Bookwalter by the end of the race, especially with regard to how he smugly looked down his nose at Girmay.

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 2

We’re in the mountains for the week and my wife told work that coverage is spotty (which it can be). She wanted to be left alone. Someone she really likes needed to talk so she’s tucked away doing that while Simone and the women’s gymnastics are on. She was a serious gymnast as a kid and this is HER THING. Very bad timing. 

4 hours ago, RkFast said:

Im not watching but heard about Pidcock and that "move" he made. Ive done that move in a few MTB races, myself 😍

Pogacar dropping out took a lot of juice out of the Olypics race for me. Im not a huge Pogi fan, Im more of a Jonas guy but I felt he should be there.

People dont understand what the Tour is like for  of the sport. Its literally a Super Bowl level must watch event every single day for three weeks. Even if the race is settled or the stage is a bit flat, the spectacle and intensity of the riders and crowds is just amazing.  On a seperate note, my GOD is Paul Sherwin missed and CVV belongs in studio doing analysis, not giving observations on course. I want to literally strangle Bookwalter by the end of the race, especially with regard to how he smugly looked down his nose at Girmay.

I got hooked on the TDF about 5 or 6 years ago.  I had some health issues that left me stuck inside with the AC for much of July -- and I discovered the Tour de France.  I've been hooked ever since.   Everything you said is spot on.  It's the only cycling event I watch but I may watch more since Peacock apparently carries more cycling.

I watched Picock's race live.  That he was able to get close enough for a medal was impressive but his duel with Koretzky was thrilling.  After Pidcock caught and passed Koretzky the first time, Koretzky regained the lead and looked to be loose on the lead, but Pidcock caught him again to finally pass and win the race.  Good stuff.

The women's team gymnastics contest was great.  The American women won gold and the Italian women upset the Brazilians to take silver.

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Boxing has gone on for three days and I haven't seen any on TV, has anyone else?  I guess the glory days of Clay, Foreman, Leonard, Roy Jones jr and others are gone

I saw some boxing while at dinner tonight. I saw Olympic boxing and the very first thing that comes to mind is Roy Jones Jr getting robbed blind in Korea. Was it really as bad as I remember? I’m sure it’s easy to go back and watch that, but it would just make me angry again, I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I saw some boxing while at dinner tonight. I saw Olympic boxing and the very first thing that comes to mind is Roy Jones Jr getting robbed blind in Korea. Was it really as bad as I remember? I’m sure it’s easy to go back and watch that, but it would just make me angry again, I suppose. 

That was as bad as it gets, I think it was Marv Albert who went nuts on NBC when the decision was announced 

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

What do you guys think is more important , Total Medals or most Gold medals? To me its golds, ya don't go there to come in 2nd or 3rd

I agree with winners (gold) only. I find the cut-off after three (GSB) rather arbitrary. Of course, as a German, here I am biased. We are the masters of the 4th place. We have more 4th place finishes than medals.

Today, watch out for Leo Neugebauer in the decathlon. He is the record holder and current NCAA champion, starting for the UT Longhorns. Here, he is starting for Germany where he grew up.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

Haven’t watched much until today, but Femke Bol for the Netherlands in the mixed relay just smoked us, yeesh. 

That was an unbelievable close.....the U.S. didn't lose it, she won it....wow!

Looking forward to the final round of the Men's Golf tomorrow morning.....lots of big names up there, but obviously rooting for Xander Schauffele to defend his Gold Medal. Two Majors and a Gold Medal would give him a strong case for player of the year over Scottie Scheffler, which is crazy after the results Scottie has produced this year.

Go Xander!!

12 hours ago, Special K said:

That was an unbelievable close.....the U.S. didn't lose it, she won it....wow!

Looking forward to the final round of the Men's Golf tomorrow morning.....lots of big names up there, but obviously rooting for Xander Schauffele to defend his Gold Medal. Two Majors and a Gold Medal would give him a strong case for player of the year over Scottie Scheffler, which is crazy after the results Scottie has produced this year.

Go Xander!!

Scheffler puts an end to my player of the year talk with a masterful final round 62 to take the Gold medal!!

Great job by the number 1 player in the world!

Edited by Special K

On 7/30/2024 at 5:45 PM, SoTier said:

I got hooked on the TDF about 5 or 6 years ago.  I had some health issues that left me stuck inside with the AC for much of July -- and I discovered the Tour de France.  I've been hooked ever since.   Everything you said is spot on.  It's the only cycling event I watch but I may watch more since Peacock apparently carries more cycling.

I watched Picock's race live.  That he was able to get close enough for a medal was impressive but his duel with Koretzky was thrilling.  After Pidcock caught and passed Koretzky the first time, Koretzky regained the lead and looked to be loose on the lead, but Pidcock caught him again to finally pass and win the race.  Good stuff.

This is getting off Olympics but related to some recent comments on here. I was able to ride the last 6 stages of the TdF this year. There is a company I recommend if this interests you. You can also choose to be a spectator and not ride. Regardless, it is an amazing experience and provides an even better appreciation of what these athletes endure…plus it’s in some nice locations in France. My wife rode the stages with me and she used an ebike. Send a PM if you would like more info. https://www.thomsonbiketours.com/tour-de-france-2025/

• Thank you (+1) 1