2024 Summer Olympics in Paris

17 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

US Men tied France 12-12 in Rugby. Fun to watch. Basically, “Kill the Carrier” with officials. 

I played rugby in college. It’s a combination of running all day (soccer) and wrestling. An exhausting experience. But at least it’s not football where people lead with their heads. Some melons still get split, but it’s more collateral damage than a direct intent. 

We were in Paris last spring and there was a lot of talk about the coming Olympics. I wasn’t aware until we got there, but they made us aware. A guide was driving us to Versailles and explained we were going by stables where the equestrian events would be held. My wife had a horse as a kid, and she loved the small as we drove by. I think she may have put her window down. That girl could shovel some sh!t!!! 

12 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

USA got spanked in their mens team soccer Opener 3-0 by France.   Please feel free to post any results or thoughts on the games here

Watching Snoop carry the torch is what I’m looking forward to most. 

I can’t find anything re: Snoop and Kevin Hart doing commentary this year. 

I hope it happens. 

• Haha (+1) 1

First time watching 7-7 Rugby (or Rugby 7??). Fun, fast games that are over really quickly. Two 7-minutes halves? Love it.

Also, has starting the competitions a couple of days before the official Opening Ceremonies been a thing for long? I don't recall seeing this until fairly recently.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

Also, has starting the competitions a couple of days before the official Opening Ceremonies been a thing for long? I don't recall seeing this until fairly recently.

This got me thinking,....has any team or individual already been eliminated before tonight's opening ceremony? That would be somewhat twisted. 

I'm a big fan of the Tour de France, the 3 week long cycling road race through various parts of France (and depending upon the year, parts of neighboring countries like Italy, Spain, Belgium and Monaco), so with the Olympics coming just a week later, I'm interested in seeing how the TDF riders fare.  The cycling time trial is tomorrow, with TDF 3rd place finisher Remco Evenepoel likely a favorite.  I believe he's the currrent world champion cycling time trialer.   The Olympic road race is later in the games, and one of the riders to watch is Matteo Jorgenson of the USA who finished 8th in the TDF and almost won a stage, losing by 21 seconds, to Tadej Pogacar, eventual TDF winner.

• Like (+1) 1

PARIS -- Samoa boxing coach Lionel Elika Fatupaito has died during the Paris Olympics, the International Boxing Association said Saturday.

According to reports in Samoan media, he died on Friday while at the Olympic Village.   https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40654780/samoan-boxing-coach-dies-paris-olympic-games

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

PARIS -- Samoa boxing coach Lionel Elika Fatupaito has died during the Paris Olympics, the International Boxing Association said Saturday.

According to reports in Samoan media, he died on Friday while at the Olympic Village.   https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40654780/samoan-boxing-coach-dies-paris-olympic-games

He had 1 boxer to coach, As @Gugny would say, "he had one job to do"

• Haha (+1) 1

After the opening "ceremonies" I can't get into it, really like the winter games much better. We at least have an NFL preseason game within a week.

28 minutes ago, T&C said:

After the opening "ceremonies" I can't get into it, really like the winter games much better. We at least have an NFL preseason game within a week.

I thought this was a gr8 opening.  I guess I am really into boats plying through stinky water & lots of hot air. 😆

38 minutes ago, T&C said:

I’ve grown to enjoy both games equally, but the Winter Olympics are definitely easier to follow. There’s just too much going on during the summer games. A lot of my favorite summer sports don’t get much coverage. I really burn out on the endless swimming coverage during the first week of the summer games. I start to enjoy it more once track and field begins. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

For the most part, I've enjoyed the first days of the games. Looking forward to Track & Field getting started.

Pros:

- With Peacock, you can pretty much watch any event that is currently going on through one of the many many streams on the platform. They even have an NFL RedZone equivalent called the Gold Zone. Pretty cool.

- I like the varied venues spread out across the city and in the shadows of some iconic locations (Eiffel Tower, Place de la Concorde, etc.).

Cons:

- Please stop telling/showing us all of the "celebrities" at the games. Gymnastics feels like they are showing celebs more than the athletes sometimes. All for shots of mom & dad (especially when one is wearing a heart rate monitor), but no more celebs please.

- What's with all the YELLING? Volleyball, Judo, and Fencing (the worst offender) and more...after every play/point they all have to yell and scream in such an over-the-top way. What, do they think they are OU softball players after getting walked (sorry, that one may be a bit too inside-baseball).

• Like (+1) 2