PSA: Buffalo News subscription - beware

Fell for the trap of $1/month to read Buff News articles on the Bills during the season two years ago. 

Then, did it again last season. I thought it had expired. 

Little did I know they were converted into two full-price subscriptions ($25.99 x 2). 

Guess I didn't read the fine print but thought they'd refund one subscription because who needs two of the same digital subscriptions with the same email? 

The call center in the Phillippines would not abide. 

I live in Atlanta, have never lived in Buffalo, and have no reason to read anything out of NFL season. 

Yeah, you have to read the fine print (and be more diligent checking your bank acct). But damn, those are some bad business dealings. 

Edited by Just in Atlanta
  • Angry 2

The BN is terrible. We were subscribers my entire life, but when they closed the printing operations in Buffalo laying off over 100 employees, moving the printing ops to Detroit, and then having the gall to up the annual price to nearly $1200 for news that is two days late by the time you get it, that was the final straw. Called them to cancel, spoke to an idiot in the Philippines, and it STILL took them two months to stop delivery. And their efforts to get me to come back are pitiful; my favorite being the Sunday only offer for only $30 per month. The newsstand price is $5 for the Sunday paper. Do the math. Idiots all.

• Like (+1) 1

Signed up for BN one year deal $25.99. It ended in February. Keep billing me now for full one year subscription. 

That wasn’t the agreement, call center is laughable, everything wrapped up in one. I just ignore their pestering.

3 minutes ago, US Egg said:

Signed up for BN one year deal $25.99. It ended in February. Keep billing me now for full one year subscription. 

That wasn’t the agreement, call center is laughable, everything wrapped up in one. I just ignore their pestering.

You got lucky. My account was charged $25.99 per MONTH x 2. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The BN is terrible. We were subscribers my entire life, but when they closed the printing operations in Buffalo laying off over 100 employees, moving the printing ops to Detroit, and then having the gall to up the annual price to nearly $1200 for news that is two days late by the time you get it, that was the final straw. Called them to cancel, spoke to an idiot in the Philippines, and it STILL took them two months to stop delivery. And their efforts to get me to come back are pitiful; my favorite being the Sunday only offer for only $30 per month. The newsstand price is $5 for the Sunday paper. Do the math. Idiots all.

There's a reason it's called a NEWSpaper (not an oldspaper). Bad journalist dad joke. 

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

They were including a discount on the current trend of a mandatory tip.

They all pull th!s crap. I was on the $20 a year plan  with Peacock and they auto renewed me for something way higher. I had better luck, they canceled and then I signed up again for $20 a year

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

13 minutes ago, T&C said:

Sucks hearing so many get ripped off like this. I can usually find out anything I want to know about back home from here, for free:

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo

Really not free. We're all paying ISPs, etc...

Why can't it come out of there?

AND getting barraged by ads.

It's simply greed...

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Really not free. We're all paying ISPs, etc...

Why can't it come out of there?

AND getting barraged by ads.

It's simply greed...

Ads? If anyone doesn't use ABP I have no idea how the internet could be fun. I haven't had an ad for at least a decade.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Can't you just give them a card that will expire soon?  What are they gonna do?

I'm_A_Journalism_TheSimpsons_RalphWiggum.jpg

I've heard of people getting the Visa/MC pre-paid gift cards and using those for payment.  Never tried it myself.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Can't you just give them a card that will expire soon?  What are they gonna do?

I'm_A_Journalism_TheSimpsons_RalphWiggum.jpg

Just remembered something.  When I had a card replaced because it expired, all my revolving accounts that use that number, were still able to charge it, before I could change the info to the new expiration date. Even my Apple Wallet automatically updated to the new card, even before I received it in the mail. 

• Angry 1