Psychedelic therapy helps you see things more clearly; New Jersey Jets/Giants

ddaryl

Given that he regulalry seeks pyschdelic therapy, I say he is seeing the light.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-aaron-rodgers-one-new-york-team

“[I live in New Jersey], nobody lives in New York,” Rodgers said. “If you’re a Giant you can, but still, I don’t know why you would, just because of the traffic and the tunnel. All of our stuff, I joke about, I know that the stadium used to be on Long Island, but we’re the New Jersey Jets. So are the Giants, the Giants play in New Jersey.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

NYC, LI, and Northern NJ are all joined at the hip and the Giants - Jets represent this region. The Jets used to practice at Hofstra which is right down the road from Nassau Coliseum and played their games at Shea before moving to NJ for the start of the 1984 season. All of these years later a good portion of the season ticket base still comes from NYC/LI. I would imagine the Giants have a lot of season ticket holders who also come from NYC/LI.

Well sometimes the truth can be a very hurtful thing, at least Aaron knows the truth and before you can move forward the truth must be known as such and you must admit it to your self ... 

Checklist:

QB:      Aaron Rodgers

HC:      Robert Saleh (prev. Gase)

GM:     Joe Douglas

OC:      Nathaniel Hackett

Owner: Woody (Head) Johnson 

🤔

Not exactly what I would consider the ingredients for success.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Aaron Rodgers, Bwhaahahahaha

I know this thread is primarily about the NY/NJ thing, but I'd just like to take this moment to say...

Psychedelic therapy is a legitimate avenue for self-improvement, self-inquiry, and beating addictions. It has worked wonders for many, including myself. Changed my life.

It's kind of sad that an arrogant, narcissistic knucklehead like Aaron Rodgers has become a national poster boy for it. He gives the whole enterprise a bad name and turns it into a bit of a joke. 

Ah well. As Lao Tsu said: Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Don't stain the reputation of psychedelic therapy by using this psycho as an example please. 

He's not wrong about this. 

He doesn't use in a truly therapeutic setting, he is in the woods with a bunch of hippies and shaman. However that sounds like a great time to me

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

He's not wrong about this. 

He doesn't use in a truly therapeutic setting, he is in the woods with a bunch of hippies and shaman. However that sounds like a great time to me

I think the place and people don’t matter as much. Just eat some and leave the human nonsense. The new fad about how every aspect need to be a certain way is just annoying. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Logic said:

I know this thread is primarily about the NY/NJ thing, but I'd just like to take this moment to say...

Psychedelic therapy is a legitimate avenue for self-improvement, self-inquiry, and beating addictions. It has worked wonders for many, including myself. Changed my life.

It's kind of sad that an arrogant, narcissistic knucklehead like Aaron Rodgers has become a national poster boy for it. He gives the whole enterprise a bad name and turns it into a bit of a joke. 

Ah well. As Lao Tsu said: Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.

Any insight into how it can do all these things? I believe you, I've just never understood how psychedelics can curb addiction or provide self-improvement.

I can see how it could help with self-inquiry or making one come up with new insights, but yeah... I think guys like Aaron Rodgers have kind of unfairly skewed my views on all that. 

Not to veer too off topic, but the recent studies with MDMA therapy especially for veterans with PTSD is some of the most incredible stuff I've ever seen. Something like an 80% remission rate from guys who were straight up planning on killing themselves. Psilocybin as well, although I believe most of those studies have been involving people who had severe depression on account of being diagnosed with terminal illness.

I truly believe this sort of thing is the next wave in mental healthcare and I can only hope that Big Pharma doesn't bastardize it because there are just so many people who seriously need the help. If you struggle with PTSD or any other mental health issues, I implore you to read further into it all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Any insight into how it can do all these things? I believe you, I've just never understood how psychedelics can curb addiction or provide self-improvement.

I can see how it could help with self-inquiry or making one come up with new insights, but yeah... I think guys like Aaron Rodgers have kind of unfairly skewed my views on all that. 

I'll let the experts do the talking. They can explain it much better than I can. While I can vouch for their effectiveness on a personal level, my ability to explain the particulars in scientific terms is limited.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/treating-addiction-with-psychedelics/

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2024/03/treat-addiction-with-psychedelics/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/31/well/mind/psilocybin-mushrooms-addiction-therapy.html

https://time.com/6167638/psilocybin-addiction-therapeutic-breakthrough/

Scientific American, Time, Harvard...you'll notice these aren't just Looney Tune fringe outlets talking about this stuff. 

I will grant that more research still needs to happen to more fully understand the mechanisms by which psychedelics can treat addiction and provide general medicinal and therapeutic value. This research is JUST NOW starting to be allowed and to proliferate, after years of legal prohibition in this country. 

In my estimation, there's a reason that so many different cultures from all over the world have revered these substances for thousands of years. They're not just recreational "drugs". They powerfully impact the mind and, when approached in the proper setting and with the proper intention and even a trained professional, they can provide great value to the experiencer.

Psilocybin, DMT (the psychoactive ingredient in Ayahuasca), and Ibogaine seem to be the most powerful and commonly mentioned compounds, in terms of medicinal and therapeutic psychedelic usage.

Fascinating stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll let the experts do the talking. They can explain it much better than I can. While I can vouch for their effectiveness on a personal level, my ability to explain the particulars in scientific terms is limited.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/treating-addiction-with-psychedelics/

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2024/03/treat-addiction-with-psychedelics/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/31/well/mind/psilocybin-mushrooms-addiction-therapy.html

https://time.com/6167638/psilocybin-addiction-therapeutic-breakthrough/

Scientific American, Time, Harvard...you'll notice these aren't just Looney Tune fringe outlets talking about this stuff. 

I will grant that more research still needs to happen to more fully understand the mechanisms by which psychedelics can treat addiction and provide general medicinal and therapeutic value. This research is JUST NOW starting to be allowed and to proliferate, after years of legal prohibition in this country. 

In my estimation, there's a reason that so many different cultures from all over the world have revered these substances for thousands of years. They're not just recreational "drugs". They powerfully impact the mind and, when approached in the proper setting and with the proper intention and even a trained professional, they can provide great value to the experiencer.

Psilocybin, DMT (the psychoactive ingredient in Ayahuasca), and Ibogaine seem to be the most powerful and commonly mentioned compounds, in terms of medicinal and therapeutic psychedelic usage.

Fascinating stuff.

Great post! And glad to hear you were somebody who has benefited from such things, I am as well. This topic is one of my passions as it truly changed my life and possibly saved it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Not to veer too off topic, but the recent studies with MDMA therapy especially for veterans with PTSD is some of the most incredible stuff I've ever seen. Something like an 80% remission rate from guys who were straight up planning on killing themselves. Psilocybin as well, although I believe most of those studies have been involving people who had severe depression on account of being diagnosed with terminal illness.

I truly believe this sort of thing is the next wave in mental healthcare and I can only hope that Big Pharma doesn't bastardize it because there are just so many people who seriously need the help. If you struggle with PTSD or any other mental health issues, I implore you to read further into it all.

To expand on this...

From https://time.com/6167638/psilocybin-addiction-therapeutic-breakthrough/ :

"Additional research has shown another potential therapeutic use of psilocybin: to assuage depression. For instance, a small randomized clinical trial published in JAMA Psychiatry in 2020 found that psilocybin-assisted therapy caused a rapid reduction in the symptoms of major depression symptoms, and that the effects remained statistically significant at least four weeks later. Another study, published this year in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, found that among a small group of participants with depression who received two doses of psilocybin with supportive therapy, 75% still had some response to the treatment, and that 58% were in complete remission from depression. In another study co-authored by Jones, published earlier this year in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, he and colleague Matthew K. Nock reviewed NSDUH data, and found that psilocybin use was associated with a reduced risk of major depressive episodes."

58% WERE IN COMPLETE REMISSION FROM DEPRESSION.

I cannot overstate how impressive a 58% complete remission rate is, particularly when compared to the pharmaceuticals commonly used to treat depression.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

1 minute ago, Logic said:

To expand on this...

From https://time.com/6167638/psilocybin-addiction-therapeutic-breakthrough/ :

"Additional research has shown another potential therapeutic use of psilocybin: to assuage depression. For instance, a small randomized clinical trial published in JAMA Psychiatry in 2020 found that psilocybin-assisted therapy caused a rapid reduction in the symptoms of major depression symptoms, and that the effects remained statistically significant at least four weeks later. Another study, published this year in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, found that among a small group of participants with depression who received two doses of psilocybin with supportive therapy, 75% still had some response to the treatment, and that 58% were in complete remission from depression. In another study co-authored by Jones, published earlier this year in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, he and colleague Matthew K. Nock reviewed NSDUH data, and found that psilocybin use was associated with a reduced risk of major depressive episodes."

58% WERE IN COMPLETE REMISSION FROM DEPRESSION.

I cannot overstate how impressive a 58% complete remission rate is, particularly when compared to the pharmaceuticals commonly used to treat depression.

I knew D.A.R.E. was trying to destroy my mental health.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I think Rodgers sucks and is very problematic and still mostly a jerk, but I do think he has benefited from these things as well, even though he's utilized them outside of the clinical settings. They are the real deal and not to be trifled with. It is not anywhere near as easy as just taking a drug/plant and then suddenly your issues are resolved and your brain is firing on all cylinders. It takes research, preparation, dedication, and really you putting in the work to truly fight your demons.

That said some people do get lucky and are "fixed" after taking a hefty dose of something. It's the exception to the rule and can be a gamble. It's pretty much proven at this point that both acid and shrooms are the most effective method of obliterating alcoholism and addiction. The science behind it all is fascinating and definitely above my pay grade even with as much as I know, but it's the real deal.

If it can benefit a clown like Rodgers, there's hope for everyone.

23 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I think the place and people don’t matter as much. Just eat some and leave the human nonsense. The new fad about how every aspect need to be a certain way is just annoying. 

I agree it doesn't have to be in a clinical setting at Johns Hopkins, but it does require some planning and a guide/therapist is never a bad thing.

Edited by Dick_Cheney

28 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

On the contrary, I think "set and setting" are very important to the outcome of a psychedelic trip, at least if therapeutic or medicinal results are sought. That is, one's mood/state of mind/intention when taking the substance, and the setting in which one takes the substance.

Taking a heavy dose of psilocybin in a quiet, candlelit room with classical music playing and a comfortable temperature and a pitcher of ice water nearby, when one is in good spirits and has a had a bit of quiet reflection beforehand...can bring about a PROFOUNDLY different experience than taking them with a group of friends or at a concert or when one is stressed or agitated about something.

I don't think a trained guide, is practically speaking, necessary, though it can be helpful. Nor do I think it's necessary to undertake the experience in a sterile medical environment. I DO think, though, that some preparation, a good mindset, and agreeable surroundings are vitally important to a good psychedelic experience.