“High Level Meetings” Between NFL & NFLPA re 18 Game Season BEFORE Expiration of Current CBA

High Level Meetings sure - but what kind of car do they drive?

• Haha (+1) 1

The NFL would really need to consider expanding the roster to say 58-60 players then to account for this. Teams already are struggling to make it through 17 game seasons which is really hurting playoff quality football and hurting the remaining games. I think the draft should expand with this to allow more teams to develop more young talent with the extra roster space so perhaps teams can load manage more effectively. 

11 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Ugh.  Just more teams playing in playoff games with half their starters out.   Go back to 16 games and increase to two bye weeks.  The greed of the league and players, since they have to agree to it, has no bounds.

Do you think people b*tched and moaned this much when the league went from 14 games to 16 games in 1978? There probably wasn't really anyone complaining about greed then. They all just went with the flow

14 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you think people b*tched and moaned this much when the league went from 14 games to 16 games in 1978? There probably wasn't really anyone complaining about greed then. They all just went with the flow

Back then players were real men who worked 2 jobs, smoked Marlboro Reds and drank a 5th of Jack nightly.

Edited by Whkfc
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

16 games and no bye week from 1978-1990.

They could actually hit people back then. 

The game is much easier on the body today. They basically don’t practice. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve always felt you should play every team in your conference 1 time.

18 games allows you to play every team in your conference 1 time and in your division 2x.

Sets up perfectly.

That might be a cool way to do it. Like MLB used to be, only way to play a team in the other conference/league is the championship game.

I'm pretty sure they will just add another out of conference game based on standings like they do with game 17 now. It will just even it out to a home/away every season instead of rotating that each year.

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve always felt you should play every team in your conference 1 time.

18 games allows you to play every team in your conference 1 time and in your division 2x.

Sets up perfectly.

But then you do away with interconference matchups. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Don’t need it. Would make the Super Bowl even bigger.

Interesting scheduling idea. It would be like what baseball used to have with the AL and NL playing only teams in their league before interleague play took over. I like the idea as divisional games and then conference games are more important to the division/playoff races.