“High Level Meetings” Between NFL & NFLPA re 18 Game Season BEFORE Expiration of Current CBA

Hopefully not behind a paywall if you use up your one free WP article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/07/23/nfl-18-game-schedule-nflpa/

Basically this discusses movement on what was referenced back in April, that the 18 game season is no longer a mere hypothetical, but the sides are actively exploring pathways to make this a reality, perhaps even before the current CBA expires in 2030, although that would require an amendment as current rules prohibit 18 games. Says meetings will be held with players to discuss what the NFLPA will be seeking in return from the League—surely a second bye week would be a must??

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

• NoHuddleKelly12 changed the title to “High Level Meetings” Between NFL & NFLPA re 18 Game Season BEFORE Expiration of Current CBA

They will eventually go to an 18-game season at some point. This 17-game season with the AFC and NFC alternating between 8 and 9 home games every other year is dumb. Reduce the preseason to two games as the starters barely play in them anyway. Have a 2nd bye week for every team if needed. 

• Agree 6

Ugh.  Just more teams playing in playoff games with half their starters out.   Go back to 16 games and increase to two bye weeks.  The greed of the league and players, since they have to agree to it, has no bounds.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Ugh.  Just more teams playing in playoff games with half their starters out.   Go back to 16 games and have increase it to bye weeks.  The greed of the league and players, since they have to agree to it, has no bounds.

As you mentioned "Greed", so the league won't go back to 16 games. I do think we go to 18 games with a reduced preseason to 2 games along with 2 bye weeks. If that pushes the Super Bowl back to the 3rd or last Sunday in Feb, then so be it. Besides the Super Bowl, Feb is a slow sports month anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They will eventually go to an 18-game season at some point. This 17-game season with the AFC and NFC alternating between 8 and 9 home games every other year is dumb. Reduce the preseason to two games as the starters barely play in them anyway. Have a 2nd bye week for every team if needed. 

The problem with a8 games + 2 byes + 2 preseason games is that season would either need to start before Labor Day which NFL has tried in past and did not like or season would extend even longer which messes up plans on NFL to align playoff games to be during Nielsen ratings period.  This also results in another game during unhealthy south summers and another game in potentially very cold north. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

The problem with a8 games + 2 byes + 2 preseason games is that season would either need to start before Labor Day which NFL has tried in past and did not like or season would extend even longer which messes up plans on NFL to align playoff games to be during Nielsen ratings period.  This also results in another game during unhealthy south summers and another game in potentially very cold north. 

Weather would be a pain. Look at Buffalo with the snow/wind late in the year. That Dolphins - Chiefs playoff game last year was brutally cold. More games mean more money which is all the league cares about. If the Super Bowl gets pushed back to the 3rd or last Sunday Feb, then the league will have no problem doing that.

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

As you mentioned "Greed", so the league won't go back to 16 games. I do think we go to 18 games with a reduced preseason to 2 games along with 2 bye weeks. If that pushes the Super Bowl back to the 3rd or last Sunday in Feb, then so be it. Besides the Super Bowl, Feb is a slow sports month anyway. 

The problem isn't the scheduling.  The problem is that the playoffs will more and more be a question of which team has the least injuries to their most important players instead of which team is the best.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Billy Claude said:

The problem isn't the scheduling.  The problem is that the playoffs will more and more be a question of which team has the least injuries to their most important players instead of which team is the best.

Which is why if they go to an 18-game season the players will want a reduced preseason and two bye weeks. Personally, I was fine with a 16-game season, but they will never go back to that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Which is why if they go to an 18-game season the players will want a reduced preseason and two bye weeks. Personally, I was fine with a 16-game season, but they will never go back to that.

The starters don't really play in the preseason anyway.   I don't think that decreasing the number of preseason games will affect the injury situation at all.  The extra bye week might help but I would think much less than an extra game would hurt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Thats a lot especially if you get to 21 or 22 including playoffs... I wouldnt be so ready to do this if I am the NFL PA. I get that there is more revenue but they would have to spread that out over an increased roster size I would think... but... money talks apparently... 

• Like (+1) 1