Astro Notes Update **Link to Wednesday, August 7th Notes added on pg 5**

Dean (Astro) recently let me know that the Bills denied his request for media access to training camp because they are not recognizing bloggers. It’s a bit curious because they do recognize Podcasters, such as Joe Marino and others. In this day and age, I believe that more of us get our information from those sources than traditional media outlets.

With that said, Dean only has tickets to the August 1st and 4th practices. He will be doing his in-depth notes for those dates. If anyone has tickets to any of the other practices that they would like to donate to Dean, let me know and I will reach out to him. I know I speak for many here in saying that Astro Notes are the highlight of training camp.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 7
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 8

37 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Dean (Astro) recently let me know that the Bills denied his request for media access to training camp because they are not recognizing bloggers. It’s a bit curious because they do recognize Podcasters, such as Joe Marino and others. In this day and age, I believe that more of us get our information from those sources than traditional media outlets.

With that said, Dean only has tickets to the August 1st and 4th practices. He will be doing his in-depth notes for those dates. If anyone has tickets to any of the other practices that they would like to donate to Dean, let me know and I will reach out to him. I know I speak for many here in saying that Astro Notes are the highlight of training camp.

Yes, it’s been well-documented that the Bills have typically blocked media access to just about everyone that isn’t connected to a TV/radio/newspaper.

Years ago, I recall the Cover 1 guy sharing that they were denied for the same reasons.  I believe the Bills rationale is, if you allow one of the bloggers like Cover 1, it opens the door for several others (Trainwreck Sports, Built in Buffalo etc) who may not understand the rules/etiquette of the press.  The fear is that it crowds the press room and that the bloggers, who are mostly fans, could interfere with the media outlets.  I wouldn’t be shocked if those in the media support the ban on bloggers.  

However, I do feel they should review requests for bloggers on a case-by-case basis.  I think allowing access to 1 member of the C1 crew would actually be a good thing.  They do an awesome job.  

Ironically they did grant access to Tyler Dunne of Go Long this year which is an independent self-published Substack newsletter.   While he’s an established writer, he too was previously denied media access under those grounds.  But this seems to be an exception to the norm.  

As far as Joe Marino I don’t think he’s ever had media access and has sat in the stands with the rest of us.  

However he works for the Locked On podcast network which is technically owned by Gannett (USA Today).  So if the parent org requested media access, he could probably get it.  Not sure if they would do this.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Is Astro older than 12??

yes he is an old Bills fan doing this as a hobby. I don't know his age but I think he is retired

• Like (+1) 2

I believe Joe Marino has a field pass this year.   He will be at camp all of next week incluing the Blue and Red practice next Friday.

I will be there in the stands on Tuesday and Thursday next week.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I don’t think Marino gets any free passes.  He’s tweeted out numerous times looking for training camp tickets before. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, T master said:

Yes he was - that was Rasro (in dog talk) .

Recall his original name was Tralfaz, in the episode where his supposed original owner came to reclaim him from the Jetsons. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I wish I knew sooner. I didn't ask for tickets because I live too far away. Next year tell him to get a hold of me.

• Like (+1) 1

I get it.

As a long time fan of the "Astro-cast" it kinda sucks that they can't come to some sort of agreement to let them watch from, maybe not the sidelines but they should have a special area for them just outside the fences. 

Anything to digest their product should be allowed.

Go Astro!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

It makes sense, then anyone can say they are a blogger and get media passes, sucks but I'm fine with the Bills' stance

Plus Joe Marino is part of "Locked On," a huge content generator. Podcasters can show hard numbers of listens.