Bills 2024 Training Camp! (related content only please)

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Chill out guys!!!  Stop being so positive.  It’s one day of practice.  Our WRs are the worst the Bills have had in the last 40+ years!   Maybe we’d have a chance if we had Jordan Matthews, Zay Jones and Andre Holmes…..but our offense is toast because our WRs are our worst in almost a half century.  Obv

wE dOn'T hAvE a TrUe #1

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with this and your earlier post. What McDermott does is take quality safeties and defensive backs and teaches them to operate in a system that creates an effective defense. It isn't necessary for McDermott to get the top talent in the league to play those positions; what's necessary is for his players to work hard and execute the system that he has taught them. He can do that with any solid starting safety in the league, and that's what he has to work with now.

That is what makes the Cole Bishop pick such an interesting one.

A bit unusual for McD to invest in a safety and that high in a draft and not just coach up a capable veteran as he has done before.

You would think Bishop must fit a profile he and Babich have in mind for some wrinkles they would like to introduce, only time will tell.

If he can live up to his college tape then he would be such a versatile chess piece out there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

That is what makes the Cole Bishop pick such an interesting one.

A bit unusual for McD to invest in a safety and that high in a draft and not just coach up a capable veteran as he has done before.

You would think Bishop must fit a profile he and Babich have in mind for some wrinkles they would like to introduce, only time will tell.

If he can live up to his college tape then he would be such a versatile chess piece out there.

Yea well. If you draft a SAFETY in the second round. He better be a starter by year two. That’s generally Speaking for all 32 teams

but ON this team- Mr safety - McDermott- with NO starters. Rapp is not a starter. Hyde and poyer gone. Your round 2 pick SHOULD be starting. 

gonna be a head scratching pick again for beane. I honestly think he’s only good at rounds 4-udfa

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Keon has some things he needs to work on, and we'll see if he can get that done ... but outside the Big 3 in this Draft, he IS the potential superstar of the bunch.  

Already looks like a red zone monster.  

I'd bet a few bucks he has more TDs per game start than the big-3 at the end of the regular season.

10 minutes ago, balln said:

Yea well. If you draft a SAFETY in the second round. He better be a starter by year two. That’s generally Speaking for all 32 teams

but ON this team- Mr safety - McDermott- with NO starters. Rapp is not a starter. Hyde and poyer gone. Your round 2 pick SHOULD be starting. 

gonna be a head scratching pick again for beane. I honestly think he’s only good at rounds 4-udfa

He'll be a starter by the end of camp.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, balln said:

Well they do have Mike Edward's on a 1 year deal.

I have my doubts about Rapp's range and fit in that FS coverage role, but we will see.

But you would like to see the kid start to push for playing time and at least climb the depth chart to be the next man up.

I don't think Bishop is underperforming if he isn't starting early this season, or even the end of the season.  I agree that he needs to be starting in season two.  And, yes, the fact that McDermott makes solid veterans work well in the defensive backfield does make the Bishop pick interesting.  It means that McDermott and Beane expect something special from him. 

It's interesting to compare Bishop to Bernard - that piece in the Athletic was interesting.  It essentially said the Bills took Bernard much higher than he was projected to go, but they took him because they had very high expectations for him. We didn't see enough last season to declare him a great player, but what we saw was pretty special play.  I'd guess that McBeane would say they have those kind of expectations for Bishop.  Bernard sat for season, but then he was expected to be ready, and I'd think the same is true for Bishop.  The sooner the better, but definitely by year two.  In the case of both Bishop and Bernard, the guy coming out of college was touted as being a true standout in terms of the mental game.  They understand and can execute everything.   It may take a year to get up to speed, but then we should see impact.  

And look at O'Cyrus Torrence.    Same expectations - be  a player by year two, and sooner if possible.   Be a clear positive for the team sometime between  now (last year at this time, Torrence already was beginning to show how soon he'd be ready) and a year from now (Bernard took a year to get up to where he needed to be).  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is it crazy to think that maybe Davis becomes our pass catching back and Cook taken off the field on 3rd down passing downs?

It's not that crazy if Davis is effective in pass protection.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Similar things were said about Poyer and Hyde when Buffalo signed them.

Poyer had played 48 games for 2 teams and started 10 of them

Hyde had played 63 games for GB and started 33 of them

It's true that Rapp had little interest after 2022 with the Rams (which is why the Bills signed him for 1 year, just a bit over vet minimum)   I believe Rapp had interest as a starter after last season - I don't think the Bills offered him 3 years, $10.6M with $4.8 guaranteed because he had no other teams interested and Beane had his "Stupid" hat on.  And he WAS signed for more than vet minimum in 2023, which implies he did have some interest.

Same with Edmunds - Bills didn't offer him $2.8M with $1.6 guaranteed at signing because he had "zero interest" and Beane just loves to toss $$ around

In any event, when a player has shown they can start in the league for multiple years, I stand by my take that it's peculiar to label them "not NFL caliber starter".  They have proven they can play in the league and start.  Whether they're good starters, or starters where teams want an upgrade, is another question. 

Not by me they weren't. 

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

It's a running joke when they are talking about shorter.  They aren't being serious.  It's basically them making fun of fans about how they saw shorter be good for one preseason game and think he's the long term answer to losing diggs.

....well then that makes sense...

• Donuts and Doritos changed the title to Bills 2024 Training Camp! (related content only please) Day 2 Starts pg. 13.
  • Simon unpinned this topic
5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope so.

Gunner, I have always respected your acceptance of your flawed evaluation of Josh Allen. You of all people know that scouts and analysts can be (and often are) wrong in their evaluations because there are many factors that can’t always be considered. We do the best we can with the information we have, and we use history to predict the future. But it is an inexact science…something unfortunately lost on too many.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bills!Win! said:

One thing I noticed yesterday. Davis and Gore are very small. 

Davis is 5"8 220

that is old school running back size.  Emmitt smith, barry, thurman etc.  

Gore is 5"8 200....little slimmer.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope so.

I think so.  I understand the concept of judging him by his performance last year and combining that with his age to come to that conclusion.  It makes sense.

However, the vast majority of players who rely on their athletic skill set to excel at their positions struggle the year after that sort of an injury.  He was beginning to show signs of improvement at the end of the year and there have been plenty of players that have done well at his age.  When you factor that with what some people have been saying about how he appears to have regained his athleticism at least looks much improved from where he was just 6-9 months ago and his recent statements that he's made.   Before he was Mr. positivity on pretty much everything now he sounds like Mr. chip on his shoulder and he is fully aware at least in his mind that how he does this year is going to play a factor into his legacy.

I think if he can avoid injury this year he will be a 6 - 10 sack guy this season.