Bills 2024 Training Camp! (related content only please)

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Similar things were said about Poyer and Hyde when Buffalo signed them.

Poyer had played 48 games for 2 teams and started 10 of them

Hyde had played 63 games for GB and started 33 of them

It's true that Rapp had little interest after 2022 with the Rams (which is why the Bills signed him for 1 year, just a bit over vet minimum)   I believe Rapp had interest as a starter after last season - I don't think the Bills offered him 3 years, $10.6M with $4.8 guaranteed because he had no other teams interested and Beane had his "Stupid" hat on.  And he WAS signed for more than vet minimum in 2023, which implies he did have some interest.

Same with Edmunds - Bills didn't offer him $2.8M with $1.6 guaranteed at signing because he had "zero interest" and Beane just loves to toss $$ around

In any event, when a player has shown they can start in the league for multiple years, I stand by my take that it's peculiar to label them "not NFL caliber starter".  They have proven they can play in the league and start.  Whether they're good starters, or starters where teams want an upgrade, is another question. 

I agree with this and your earlier post. What McDermott does is take quality safeties and defensive backs and teaches them to operate in a system that creates an effective defense. It isn't necessary for McDermott to get the top talent in the league to play those positions; what's necessary is for his players to work hard and execute the system that he has taught them. He can do that with any solid starting safety in the league, and that's what he has to work with now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I expect to see some different OL combinations, partly because Kromer likes guys to try playing different spots. 

Mostly because someone will inevitably get a little dinged up and TC is not the time for your starters to gut it out.

Sure vet rest and playing it safe with injuries will naturally mean that other OL players get some time in with the 1s, but what I mean is it won't be like past years where it's an open competition at certain positions and guys are regularly being rotated in and out. I feel like every single year we've gotten to preseason without knowing exactly who is going to be the starting five and the lack of established chemistry has caused issues early in the season. This year we already know.

• Agree 1

Chill out guys!!!  Stop being so positive.  It’s one day of practice.  Our WRs are the worst the Bills have had in the last 40+ years!   Maybe we’d have a chance if we had Jordan Matthews, Zay Jones and Andre Holmes…..but our offense is toast because our WRs are our worst in almost a half century.  Obv

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Before he died I thought Hamlin did a well as a backup and  an "OK"job in spot starting duty as long as he had Poyer/Hyde next to him. Jaquan Johnson was terrible. 

I am not high on him as a starting safety, but I think he catches a lot of flack for last season and some people are lumping his play in 2022 with Jaquan Johnsons.  

Thanks….now I feel like crap about myself because I laughed out loud when I read that.  👊🏻 shame on me

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Release the Macken!

Love it-  do you like the guy?  I’m smelling sarcasm based on your past comments.

i think he’s a viable player-  put him out there with shakir, Samuel, Kincaid and cook/davis.  We can kill em with the run and pass.  All the WRs are good run blockers (as is MVS) and very capable of making plays downfield regardless of being starting “x” WRs.  Especially out of the bunch.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Love it-  do you like the guy?  I’m smelling sarcasm based on your past comments.

i think he’s a viable player-  put him out there with shakir, Samuel, Kincaid and cook/davis.  We can kill em with the run and pass.  All the WRs are good run blockers (as is MVS) and very capable of making plays downfield regardless of being starting “x” WRs.  Especially out of the bunch.  

I think it’s a funny nickname.

I don’t have a high opinion of Mack Hollins but I’m not gonna trash the WR’s any chance I get in this thread. Let folks have their fun. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, scuba guy said:

Man I hate to say but Hyde looks like a midget next to bishop.  But all for the young man to soak everything Hyde can tell him. 

I thought Simon was working on the mind meld thing this year.  Sorry about your sickness get well soon

That doesn't look like Hyde to me.

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think it’s a funny nickname.

I don’t have a high opinion of Mack Hollins but I’m not gonna trash the WR’s any chance I get in this thread. Let folks have their fun. 

👍🏻

I don’t think he’s great by any means- but I think he can play a role and has a skill set that can help our O if used to his strengths.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think this is why no one should get to up or down on anything early in camp.  Lost in all the obsession of talking about the people catching passes is the fact that we are looking at a massive overhaul in our secondary this year and it will take time for them to adjust and gel.  3 of our opening day starters are gone from last year in Hyde, Poyer, and Tre...all of which were very good players for this defense both in skill and leadership.  

So not a surprise to see the offense eat on day 1 with a secondary whose only returning week 1 starter from last year is coming off an injury and isn't even a lock to start as he battles Elam who had a strong OTA's so will be given the chance to compete.  

Today was the offenses day...and there will be days it belongs to the defense like we saw in the OTA's.  But...I will say how thin overall we are in the secondary is still a big concern of mine, more so at CB than anything where we don't have much behind our projected top 3 guys.

There's been an overhaul at receiver as well, though. They still went out there and performed well. I agree that the back 7 has a lot of work to do. They need to get up to speed.

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

We really did lose 2 seasons making Dorsey the OC

I was hoping that being a QB (and a great one in college) would help make him a good OC.  Nope.

• Like (+1) 2