Bills 2024 Training Camp! (related content only please)

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, what do you want him to say?  Douglas and Benford did very well as our starting CB last season.  They've earned the chance to return as starters until and unless Elam shows he can outplay one of them.

Historically, McDermott and Beane have emphasized that they tell the rookies "you got to put the work in and come into camp in shape" and every year one or more of the rookies thinks he's done that thing, but he really hasn't

really shocked it was the supposedly high-football IQ Bishop.  

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Totally agree.

Pre heart episode, I considered him a guy that's great to have for depth and special teams and who can get you through a few weeks if your starter is injured. I even thought he had the upside to develop into a plus starter, though he wasn't there yet.

Post heart episode, he did not play as well, but I will absolutely cut him some slack for the immense mental hurdle he had to overcome to play professional football again and all the distractions that must've been happening in his life.

Now, a year later, drama behind him and able to concentrate solely on football, it won't surprise me in the least if he makes a run at a starting job or at least a prominent sub-package and reserve role.

It's not just a mental hurdle, though that was undoubtedly there.

Lay people who haven't gone through it don't realize what an immense insult to the overall physiology heart stoppage followed by CPR/time on a ventilator really is.  Hamlin's ribs were undoubtedly damaged.  Cracked ribs and cartilage take months to heal. 

His lungs had the equivalent of severe, life-threatening pneumonia.  In this antibiotic age, we've lost touch with how long it used to take people who lived to recover from severe pneumonia - it took months, and that's months to just return to normal physical activity, not to restore peak athletic ability.

And he spent months last off season where he was severely limited physically in what he could do leading to de-conditioning of muscle.

We "get it" mostly that an athlete returning from an ACL usually needs until his 2nd season post-injury to return to whatever his best form was. 

Same for Hamlin.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Man I hate to say but Hyde looks like a midget next to bishop.  But all for the young man to soak everything Hyde can tell him. 

I thought Simon was working on the mind meld thing this year.  Sorry about your sickness get well soon

Edited by scuba guy

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think it just goes with the territory of being a rookie.  He probably thought he was getting in peak physical condition, and he probably was - only it wasn't peak NFL starter physical condition.

4 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Man I hate to say but Hyde looks like a magnet next to bishop.  But all for the young man to soak everything Hyde can tell him. 

I thought Simon was working on the mind meld thing this year.  Sorry about your sickness get well soon

Wait what?  I don't think that's Hyde.  Hyde only 2 inches shorter than Bishop.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Looked over the wrong shoulder but still able to adjust for the catch.

Having Shakir, Kincaid and Coleman being very reliable targets for intermediate type routes should make the offense almost unstoppable. Maybe not as explosive as in years past, but we'll be churning out first downs.

I think Samuels is going to surprise fans this year, I think he'll end up being a reliable intermediate target receiver as well.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

One update from Matt Parrino on the OL (keeping in mind no pads today so grain of salt):

For those hoping SVPG makes his way into the starting lineup, put those hopes aside. The starting OL is set in stone unless something drastic happens.

More updates from Matt Parrino:

Tough day for the secondary. The Bills offense really seemed to be on the same page while Taylor Rapp and company struggled on the backend. Damar Hamlin received the first-team reps at safety next to Rapp and made the lone big play of the day, breaking up a pass from Josh Allen during team drills.

At times it seemed like the safeties were just out of sync. At one point, McDermott stopped practice to discuss a pre-snap issue with rookie Cole Bishop. It appeared to be a miscommunication with linebacker Baylon Spector. Felt like that was a microcosm of the day as the defensive back 7 tried to get on the same page.

Fun first day here at Fisher and I have some immediate observations for you.

Monster day for offense in red zone 11on11 work. Worth mentioning that the defense had a few broken coverage assignments.

Two big highlights were from Dalton Kincaid and Keon Coleman.

Kincaid ran a quick route to get to the back of the end zone and went up the elevator to haul in a TD over Taylor Rapp. Kincaid showed off his athleticism in a big way on the play.

The other came from Coleman on what the referee originally called no catch. Allen threw a bullet and he did make grab and stayed in bounds. One of the photographers shared his snap.

Well, get the DeWayne Carter hype train moving here, folks. He started on the third team, but already delivered a splash play as he absolutely left Keaton Bills in the dust as he rushed and landed for a sack against Shane Buechele. Carter flashed his explosiveness on the play, and what stood out to me the most (and remember they're not in pads yet) was the fluidity of his movements once he got into his rush. Bills didn't stand a chance. Sedrick Van Pran Granger was also in the area as he worked as the third-team center throughout practice. I didn't see him take a snap at guard. -Matt

Two under-the-radar TD catches came from the running backs early in the 11on11 portion. Ray Davis showed off his route running and crisp cutting ability on a pretty touchdown pass from Mitch Trubisky. Davis gets on you quicker than you'd expect and I feel like it won't be long before we see him work in a bit with the 1s. Frank Gore Jr. made an outstanding catch on a touch ball from Trubisky with Joe Andreessen in coverage. 

One early rep that was worth mentioning was Keon Coleman vs Christian Benford. Benford got physical with Coleman as he ran his route near the back of the end zone and the play resulted in incompletion.

Benford was a bit chippy all afternoon. I wonder how much that had to do with the defense struggling. Him and Chase Claypool had a really interesting exchange at one point where it appeared the play was blown dead and the QB threw it to Claypool, who kind of flipped it at Benford in coverage. Benford picked up the ball and threw it at Claypool as he was walking away. Then the next play the two lined up against each other once again and Benford shut Claypool down and let him know about it all the way back to the huddle as Claypool pointed to the opposite sideline to imply for Benford to walk away.

• Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

This is a good thing to see. Claypool has a reputation as being a poor teammate, and Shakir has a reputation for being one of the nicest guys on the planet. If the Claypool reclamation project is to be successful, it will be with the help of people like Shakir. (Plus, Claypool didn't finish the last few reps of practice due to getting banged up. Good to see he wants to put in the work).

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

As good a leader as you will find in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One update from Matt Parrino on the OL (keeping in mind no pads today so grain of salt):

For those hoping SVPG makes his way into the starting lineup, put those hopes aside. The starting OL is set in stone unless something drastic happens.

I agree that SVPG opening the season as the starter, while possible, is unlikely.  McD tends to not rush rookies along when there are guys ahead of him who can start, so barring injury or a drastic issue on the interior OL rearing its head during preseason, odds are that SVPG will start the season off as a backup.

However, I fully believe they love SVPG's potential and drafted him because they feel he has the potential to compete to be the future at the C position here long term.  Like when they drafted Shakir to be the future of the slot position but also brought back McKenzie and Crawford so they wouldn't have to lean on a rookier early.

And C is a key position with the QB at the LOS, so not having to lean on a rookie there I am sure definitely Plan A.  

Really rooting for Hamlin.

Since his accident, he's been made fun of by NFL fans and his talent has been overly scrutinized by Bills fans and other fans.  It's kinda sad to read.

Hoping he has a great camp and year.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

More updates from Matt Parrino:

Tough day for the secondary. The Bills offense really seemed to be on the same page while Taylor Rapp and company struggled on the backend. Damar Hamlin received the first-team reps at safety next to Rapp and made the lone big play of the day, breaking up a pass from Josh Allen during team drills.

At times it seemed like the safeties were just out of sync. At one point, McDermott stopped practice to discuss a pre-snap issue with rookie Cole Bishop. It appeared to be a miscommunication with linebacker Baylon Spector. Felt like that was a microcosm of the day as the defensive back 7 tried to get on the same page.

I think this is why no one should get to up or down on anything early in camp.  Lost in all the obsession of talking about the people catching passes is the fact that we are looking at a massive overhaul in our secondary this year and it will take time for them to adjust and gel.  3 of our opening day starters are gone from last year in Hyde, Poyer, and Tre...all of which were very good players for this defense both in skill and leadership.  

So not a surprise to see the offense eat on day 1 with a secondary whose only returning week 1 starter from last year is coming off an injury and isn't even a lock to start as he battles Elam who had a strong OTA's so will be given the chance to compete.  

Today was the offenses day...and there will be days it belongs to the defense like we saw in the OTA's.  But...I will say how thin overall we are in the secondary is still a big concern of mine, more so at CB than anything where we don't have much behind our projected top 3 guys.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Man I hate to say but Hyde looks like a midget next to bishop.  But all for the young man to soak everything Hyde can tell him. 

ya,  thats not Hyde.   😀

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Expensive items like these are among the reasons why it’s not so uncommon to hear of ballers going broke.

True Dat, but it's maybe a $3k pair of sunglasses and a $14-18k piece of jewelry.  

With career earnings of reportedly $24.8M, that's like 0.08% of what he's earned.

It's kind of like one of us buying a pair of Nikes.

Now I get your point, it's more reflective of a mindset and $20k here, $60k there, $600k somewhere else and pretty soon you're Vince Young, you've filed bankruptcy, and you're shilling for your former university as an $100k "Assistant to the Athletic Director".

Edited by Beck Water

Dawkins, Edwards, McG, Torrence, Brown is certainly likely. But Kromer always tries multiple combinations throughout TC, and nothing is written in stone. They brought in Will Clapp to compete, as well. There is plenty that can happen that would result in McG remaining at LG, and they wouldn't have to be drastic to occur, IMO.

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's early but yes that's what I read into it. Shakir, Coleman and Samuel being locks is no surprise. That MVS is? It's definitely an observation 

I wouldn't read that far into it. MVS is not a special teams player. Every other WR, including Claypool, has worked out on ST.

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I've said this before- They're the reason we got rid of Diggs, Mainly Shakir, his final few games were extremely impressive,  can absolutely see him turn into a Cooper Kupp

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think people are jumping to conclusions and assumptions too much off McD's comment.  I think it was just a general comment pertaining to rookies more than anything.  Nothing he said struck me as if he was saying that Bishop has been out of shape at any point.  Could just be that Bishop maybe wasn't around the facility as much and maybe training else where and more that McD didn't know where he was at yet until he gets out there.

Nothing about Bishop at any point strikes me as someone who is out of shape or would come in out of shape, so just IMO feel this comment is being made to likely be more than it is.  But who knows, just the way it came across to me is all 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1