Bills 2024 Training Camp! (related content only please)

46 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's day 1 and the pads have not come on, but man...

So far it looks like a lot of the Best Case Scenario predictions regarding Brady's scheme, Kincaid taking a step up and Coleman being ready at his moment.

This could be an amazing Red Zone offense. A Oline that seems mostly in sync, big bodies in Coleman, Kincaid and Knox, and needing to defend both Allen and Cook/Davis against the run really seems like it could stress defenses when the field is compressed.

🤞

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I'll pin it each day if you do.

I should be around more than usual this time of year as I'm currently getting my ass kicked by Lyme and Anaplasmosis :censored:

Oh, Crap, I hope you kick back at them both Real Soon.  Enjoy your doxycycline cocktails!

Evvybody send their Permethrin-soaked clothing to Simon to use going forward

Or next thing you know he'll get alpha-Gal and it'll be Soyburgers for Life for our boy

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

We haven't had a WR capable of this sort of play in the Josh Allen era.

I don't know what got more beaten to death this offseason...peoples false interpretation of his speed or this mistaken notion he is just a "contested catch" type WR, which is the naysayers way of saying he is too slow to be anything else.  That is a total mischaracterization of him, and it has never been about "contested catches" with Keon and that completely ignores the actual elite traits Keon brings to the table.  What it is really about is CATCH RADIUS.  People constantly confuse contested catches with this, they are not the same thing.  

Keon brings elite traits to the table of size, athleticism, body control, and hands.  This isn't about giving Allen a guy who he just throws jump balls too, it gives Allen large windows of where he can put the ball out of harms way where only Keon can get to it and can make the play.  This play above is exactly that, this isn't a jump ball, this is a play being made by a guy with exceptional body control to where he can get around to make the catch while keeping his feet in bounds.  

And the sooner people realize to not keep focusing on this false notion is just this slow guy who is only here for 50/50 balls the sooner they realize what his real potential is and how it can help Allen.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Now pair him with Claypool in a 12 set in the redzone and look at that size of the bills offense.  Both tight ends and wr over 6"4.   I hope that is something that comes into play at some point.  Just highpoint some balls and go win.

Or MVS, or Hollins, or Shorter, or Shavers. There are six 6'4"+ WRs on the current roster. Likely, there will be two 6'4"+ WRs on the PS this year. The Bill WR room got big!

15 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Looked over the wrong shoulder but still able to adjust for the catch.

Having Shakir, Kincaid and Coleman being very reliable targets for intermediate type routes should make the offense almost unstoppable. Maybe not as explosive as in years past, but we'll be churning out first downs.

Yup, and by doing so we will keep the opposing offenses off the field as much as is practical, 🤞

Day 1 only but I will toot my horn a bit. 

I was one of the few who vouched for Coleman before the draft and it looks like the connection is good between Allen and him. 

I had Ray Davis as my RB 1 in the draft in an albeit down year for backs and vouched for him when everyone was calling him old slow and another wasted RB pick. 

Carter was panned by most of this board as a reach and I argued the Bills picked him right where I had him in their rankings. 

On the flip side Bishop was my # 1 Safety and appears Coach wasn’t thrilled about his lack of conditioning. 

Will be interesting to see as camp goes along how things work out. Usually D is ahead of O but with Allen and the new schemes and motions I wonder if the offense ate because the Bills D hasn’t seen it before and obviously the Bills O is familiar with McDermotts scheme. Also makes sense because Bills D is probably working on base packages  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It always goes back and forth as to who is getting the better of who, offense or defense, they will both shine on different days, 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

So after reading all the updates from day 1, I have two thoughts, I’m crazy excited for this offense, and Brady will be doing HC interviews during our playoff run this year 🤬😅

40 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

That is who I have as top 4 right now.

I wouldn't overlook Hollins...not only is he a credible receiver, but he brings very good blocking to the table, which is something we lost with Davis.  If MVS is in that fourth spot per se, he might see more targets, but he also may see his snaps divided more with Hollins for his blocking abilities.  

This is why I think people are really hoping to see Claypool shine because he can bring the most to the table as a receiver and has the size and strength to also be a physical blocker.  But, he clearly is coming in behind MVS and Hollins, and right fully so given he has a lot to prove and was a late addition to the team as well.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

.......too soon?

Before he died I thought Hamlin did a well as a backup and  an "OK"job in spot starting duty as long as he had Poyer/Hyde next to him. Jaquan Johnson was terrible. 

I am not high on him as a starting safety, but I think he catches a lot of flack for last season and some people are lumping his play in 2022 with Jaquan Johnsons.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is it crazy to think that maybe Davis becomes our pass catching back and Cook taken off the field on 3rd down passing downs?

It's not crazy.  It goes with McDermott's philosophy of "iron sharpens iron".  Cook was by far the best back last year with no serious competition.

The hope is that 

1) Ray Davis throws down the gauntlet that he runs hard AND can make those "gotta have 'em" grabs

2) Cook looks across the RB room at Davis (and maybe Gore Jr) and ratchets up his level of concentration to make them himself

Either way is good for the Bills

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

As usual, McD will make the rookie earn it against the veteran, but I fully expect Coleman to line up as the number 1 X in the opener.  He needs to prove his reliability, his knowledge of the plays and formations and his role, and he needs to block.  Lots to learn no doubt but he seems very smart and very committed.  He is clearly talented.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Roundybout said:

McD still seems a little hesitant on Elam 

I mean, what do you want him to say?  Douglas and Benford did very well as our starting CB last season.  They've earned the chance to return as starters until and unless Elam shows he can outplay one of them.

2 hours ago, Brand J said:

Found that interesting as well. Maybe he was doing more huffing and puffing than his teammates, although anxiety and nerves could do that to you even if you’re in great shape.

Historically, McDermott and Beane have emphasized that they tell the rookies "you got to put the work in and come into camp in shape" and every year one or more of the rookies thinks he's done that thing, but he really hasn't

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Before he died I thought Hamlin did a well as a backup and  an "OK"job in spot starting duty as long as he had Poyer/Hyde next to him. Jaquan Johnson was terrible. 

I am not high on him as a starting safety, but I think he catches a lot of flack for last season and some people are lumping his play in 2022 with Jaquan Johnsons.  

Totally agree.

Pre heart episode, I considered him a guy that's great to have for depth and special teams and who can get you through a few weeks if your starter is injured. I even thought he had the upside to develop into a plus starter, though he wasn't there yet.

Post heart episode, he did not play as well, but I will absolutely cut him some slack for the immense mental hurdle he had to overcome to play professional football again and all the distractions that must've been happening in his life.

Now, a year later, drama behind him and able to concentrate solely on football, it won't surprise me in the least if he makes a run at a starting job or at least a prominent sub-package and reserve role.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Now pair him with Claypool in a 12 set in the redzone and look at that size of the bills offense.  Both tight ends and wr over 6"4.   I hope that is something that comes into play at some point.  Just highpoint some balls and go win.

And but brown in motion at 6' 8" to clean out the lbs