Bills 2024 Training Camp! (related content only please)

It's day 1 and the pads have not come on, but man...

So far it looks like a lot of the Best Case Scenario predictions regarding Brady's scheme, Kincaid taking a step up and Coleman being ready at his moment.

This could be an amazing Red Zone offense. A Oline that seems mostly in sync, big bodies in Coleman, Kincaid and Knox, and needing to defend both Allen and Cook/Davis against the run really seems like it could stress defenses when the field is compressed.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I absolutely believe that motion and pre-snap shifts provide the BIGGEST advantage you can legally give an offense. 

Motion and shifts can cause defensive confusion, help the QB identify coverage, set the offensive player up to out-leverage the defender, and make defenders hesitate for just a split second, which can be all an offensive player needs to beat his man. They can also force the defense into disadvantageous personnel groupings, like when an offense comes out in 12 personnel and then flexes the RB and TEs out into a spread set, creating isolation matchups against linebackers and safeties.

In my estimation, EVERY offense should make liberal use of pre-snap motion. The Bills didn't do it nearly enough (or effectively enough) for my liking in the Dorsey era.

I also believe that the APPEARANCE of complexity can provide a big advantage, even if what ultimately ends up happening is relatively simple. Kyle Shanahan and his coaching tree love to call the same basic play out of multiple different formations and with multiple pre-snap motions and shifts. But it all still winds up being the same play. Makes it simple for the offense, but creates headaches and confusion for the defense.

I know its only day one, but the talk of condensed formations, reduced splits, and ample motion and shifts has me very excited about Brady's potential offense.

Don't get me wrong I love the motion but I think the compressed formations might be good specifically for the Bills. One of the knocks I heard about our WR group is how they are going to beat press coverage.

Not only do condensed formations help diagnose coverage, not only can you run motion (I can see Samuel in the backfield motioned to the slot), doing so gives a free release to YAC guys AND is easier to run out of than spread.

Long story short: I think we might see a really interesting offense this year.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Don't get me wrong I love the motion but I think the compressed formations might be good specifically for the Bills. One of the knocks I heard about our WR group is how they are going to beat press coverage.

Bills did have some trouble last season with guys overlapping routes.   Hopefully they get that cleaned up and the condensed formations don't amplify that problem.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

One update from Matt Parrino on the OL (keeping in mind no pads today so grain of salt):

For those hoping SVPG makes his way into the starting lineup, put those hopes aside. The starting OL is set in stone unless something drastic happens.

For reference, here's the report from Day Two of TC last year about Torrence, who obviously ended up starting the whole year. Torrence was 2nd string Day One, and rotated in Day Two.

The first day of camp saw incumbent Ryan Bates take starting reps at right guard. According to WGRZ-TV, rookie second-round pick O’Cyrus Torrence began the workout there on Day 2.

The two did reportedly switch at some point during the practice. Torrence held his own against Ed Oliver during some reps.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/observations-buffalo-bills-training-camp-ocyrus-torrence-greg-rousseau/

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Not only do condensed formations help diagnose coverage, not only can you run motion (I can see Samuel in the backfield motioned to the slot), doing so gives a free release to YAC guys AND is easier to run out of than spread.

Long story short: I think we might see a really interesting offense this year.

That will largely be the determinant as to how good we are this season.  

🤞

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s early, but encouraging way to open camp especially since in past years the offense typically started slower than the defense.  

While it was great to see all the great tweets about the people catching passes from WR’s, TE’s and RB’s…it’s early and no pads.  What I really loved coming out today was all the stuff about Brady’s offense and what it looked like.  It’s exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to see.  Again, it’s early and no pads, but the routes, designs, movement, etc that was being tweeted about was encouraging.

Agreed.

I always look at it in phases: For the players that look good without pads on in OTAs/minicamp, etc., how do they look in training camp before the pads come on.

Next, for those that look good in camp, how do they look against other teams in the preseason?

Final, how do they look in the regular season? We’ve all seen how well players like Nathan Peterman and Trent Edwards looked in the preseason, only to falter in the regular season.

The early results look promising so far. Nice to see Josh work with his receivers in Nashville before the start of the season to build some chemistry together.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We haven't had a WR capable of this sort of play in the Josh Allen era.

Man, if he turns out great we are in REALLY good shape moving forward.

A couple thoughts..

1. This group of WRs reminds of bringing in Brown and Beasely in that they were what Allen needed at the time.  The guys they've collected are "built for Josh Allen" and what he needs from his pass catchers to be successful. He needs guys who can catch the ball. He'll find a way to get it to them. I think there's a motto here "Be Tall and catch the ball"

2. I'm happy to hear about the increased use of motion. It was something Daboll did for Josh that really seemed to help him diagnose defenses. It seems like they got away from that as Josh "matured" and I don't think he was an effective at diagnosing all the things defense started doing against him.

3. It's day 1 with no pads on

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Hope to see a lot of this

Looked over the wrong shoulder but still able to adjust for the catch.

Having Shakir, Kincaid and Coleman being very reliable targets for intermediate type routes should make the offense almost unstoppable. Maybe not as explosive as in years past, but we'll be churning out first downs.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Perhaps a moderator can rename this thread to Day 1?

A moderator isn't needed to rename.  The thread starter @Donuts and Doritos can rename it.  Just edit the OP post, a window will open, change the tame to something like '2024 Training Camp Opens and Day 1: July 24"

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Dan fetes has been preaching that Hamlin was great in minicamp/ota/offseason stuff this year.  I didn't put any stock into that because there is no contact but it makes sense he would start out ahead of two new players in the scheme early in camp.

Also makes sense that they would pair Bishop with the most veteran player.

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

Looked over the wrong shoulder but still able to adjust for the catch.

Having Shakir, Kincaid and Coleman being very reliable targets for intermediate type routes should make the offense almost unstoppable. Maybe not as explosive as in years past, but we'll be churning out first downs.

I agree with this, but there is also the mix of MVS/Hollins/Claypool that can stretch the field. I really like the differentiation in skills.