NFL Top 100 Players

8 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

There is a mile wide gap between "choir boys" and a guy that repeatedly beat his pregnant girlfriend and broke his toddler's arm.  I can enjoy football and also realize that there are players that should not be celebrated based on their disgusting off field behavior.  

He’s celebrated for being one of the best on the field. No one is giving him a humanitarian award. 

• Dislike 1

10 hours ago, julian said:

Am I crazy to think this list is just a false flag operation by the league to create debate and chatter. I’ve never seen it explained exactly how they formulate the list, I’ve only seen a leaked sheet every year and it looks like they ask the players who’s the top 20 or 25.

How do they come up with 100 players ? I’m guessing the same 15 to 20 players are on everybody’s list.

I don’t know, something just seems fishy.

Players vote for their top 20 players during the season and this is the result. Most players don’t submit their votes, some players are just idiots, etc. but yeah, it relies on at least 100 players receiving top 20 votes. 

Don’t think there’s anything fishy to it; just a lot of players voting when Lamar is about to win MVP and Mahomes had been relatively disappointing and they voted for Lamar. Makes sense honestly but it looks terrible in retrospect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Listening to Shannon Sharpe and Ocho Cinco talk Lamar vs Josh was hilarious.  They would take Lamar, bc he has played in a Championship game and has two MVPs.  They didn’t account that Josh had as well. They did give Josh more credit as the podcast went on, but what was funny was that they didn’t address the elephant in the room with playoff performances between the two.  I’ll take the guy with 21 TDs to 4 Ints, 272 yds/playoff game, and 10 games over the guy with 6 TDs, 6 Ints, 206 yds/playoff game.  I’ll also take the guy who puts his team on his shoulders when it matters most and wills them to victory when chips are down. We’ve seen Josh do it twice bringing this team into playoffs after a rough start to season. We’ve seen Lamar disappear (albeit with an injury, but also not with his team) to the point it wasn’t clear if he was going to be on the Ravens the following year.  Career-wise Josh crushes Lamar in total TDs as well. https://stathead.com/football/vs/josh-allen-vs-lamar-jackson

I like Lamar Jackson but I don’t understand how you can just overlook the reality before you.  Well I do, but it just hurts any credibility.  MVPs don’t mean crap, nor do these lists.  Lamar isn’t in the same tier as Mahomes nor Allen - those two are special players that elevate their games the bigger the stage.  Obviously Mahomes has had the better of the matchups and better coaching.  Mahomes in his own tier is justified as well - championships are all that matter.  Lamar hasn’t done that and really hasn’t in his career, either. He’s been MVP when he has had a really solid team around him, but who would you want when you need it most in a situation where it’s a must?  Mahomes, sure, but Lamar isn’t the next name anyone is going to say. 

Acting like MVPs don’t mean anything at all when ranking the best players is frankly dumb. It is essentially given to the best QB in a given year, so of course it matters quite a lot when ranking QBs.

Lamar has also basically never had good offensive players around him. He’s had Mark Andrews and occasionally good OLine and that’s it. For most of his career, both in college and the NFL, the entire offense has boiled down to him overcoming the lackluster talent around him. You could say the same of Josh earlier in his career but the situations haven’t been remotely close overall.

Having said all that, Josh has been mostly remarkable in the playoffs and while I think Lamar gets more hate for his playoff play than he deserves, he has certainly underwhelmed. Of course the sample sizes in postseason are relatively tiny compared to the regular season, so their playoff resumes could change pretty quickly but at least for now, it hasn’t been particularly close in the playoffs and despite the MVPs, I think it has been fairly close in the regular season. 

I’d take our guy over Lamar but I think it’s plenty reasonable to have the two of them in the same tier. Mahomes is probably a tier above both. 

Last thing: Sharpe and Ocho are unserious people lol don’t think it’s worth caring at all what they say. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Players vote for their top 20 players during the season and this is the result. Most players don’t submit their votes, some players are just idiots, etc. but yeah, it relies on at least 100 players receiving top 20 votes. 

Don’t think there’s anything fishy to it; just a lot of players voting when Lamar is about to win MVP and Mahomes had been relatively disappointing and they voted for Lamar. Makes sense honestly but it looks terrible in retrospect.

So basically the list isn’t taken seriously by a large number of players, like a previous poster has stated, in no way does a player have Dawkins in the top 20, or about 50 other players that made the list for that matter.

So basically players putting their friends and teammates on the list.

• Agree 3

Lamar Jackson ahead of Mahomes? Heck, any player ahead of Mahomes? Kind of a joke.

The top 100 seems to be getting worse, not better. I think it was a novelty that a lot of players took interest in for awhile, and now it isn't.

And do they not even make the cool videos anymore? Lame. That was the best thing about the top 100. No point in it now.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, SCBills said:

Lamar Jackson is the most overrated player of my life.  

It’s comical at this point. 

If someone wants to put him as QB3.. fine, that’s debatable vs Burrow and whoever else one wants to put there…. But ahead of Allen & also ahead of Mahomes.  

The discourse around him is exhausting. 

Fun player to watch in the regular season.  Still not better than Mahomes or Allen.   Absolute dud in the playoffs. 

It's really weird with Lamar, like he's not bad, he's actually a good QB who could be great. But it feels weird that the narrative around him almost forces you to say "he's not that guy," and basically talk down about him because of how pumped up he is. Like he's good but come on the #2 player in the league, the ***** were they thinking.

17 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Acting like MVPs don’t mean anything at all when ranking the best players is frankly dumb. It is essentially given to the best QB in a given year, so of course it matters quite a lot when ranking QBs.

Lamar has also basically never had good offensive players around him. He’s had Mark Andrews and occasionally good OLine and that’s it. For most of his career, both in college and the NFL, the entire offense has boiled down to him overcoming the lackluster talent around him. You could say the same of Josh earlier in his career but the situations haven’t been remotely close overall.

Having said all that, Josh has been mostly remarkable in the playoffs and while I think Lamar gets more hate for his playoff play than he deserves, he has certainly underwhelmed. Of course the sample sizes in postseason are relatively tiny compared to the regular season, so their playoff resumes could change pretty quickly but at least for now, it hasn’t been particularly close in the playoffs and despite the MVPs, I think it has been fairly close in the regular season. 

I’d take our guy over Lamar but I think it’s plenty reasonable to have the two of them in the same tier. Mahomes is probably a tier above both. 

Last thing: Sharpe and Ocho are unserious people lol don’t think it’s worth caring at all what they say. 

In 2019 they had an amazing rushing attack, solid offensive line, and a top defense.  To say he did it without players around him is silly - Mark Ingram and Gus Edward’s added more than 1700 yards rushing.  Most teams that played them couldn’t stop the run and got torched with big passing plays when they sold out to stop the run.  I’m not taking anything away from Lamar because he is an exciting player and I like him.  And he damn sure deserved it in 2019 with 1200+ yds, 7 TDs rushing and 36 tds, 6 Ints passing. 

Last year I’m not sure what everyone was smoking, the team had good defense, but the numbers were nowhere close to 2019.  He accounted only for 29 TDs combined (24 passing, 5 rushing).  He had a solid line in front of him too, with better receivers than he’s had in his career and I’m not saying they are great. He was the 15th passer in passing yds, 11th in passing TDs.  Last year it was a joke he won it over Purdy, CMC, or Hill.  The fact that Dak was No. 2 proves the voters were either uninformed or just stupid. If anyone thinks Dak Prescott is an MVP type player they are not watching the games very closely.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

In 2019 they had an amazing rushing attack, solid offensive line, and a top defense.  To say he did it without players around him is silly - Mark Ingram and Gus Edward’s added more than 1700 yards rushing.  Most teams that played them couldn’t stop the run and got torched with big passing plays when they sold out to stop the run.  I’m not taking anything away from Lamar because he is an exciting player and I like him.  And he damn sure deserved it in 2019 with 1200+ yds, 7 TDs rushing and 36 tds, 6 Ints passing. 

Last year I’m not sure what everyone was smoking, the team had good defense, but the numbers were nowhere close to 2019.  He accounted only for 29 TDs combined (24 passing, 5 rushing).  He had a solid line in front of him too, with better receivers than he’s had in his career and I’m not saying they are great. He was the 15th passer in passing yds, 11th in passing TDs.  Last year it was a joke he won it over Purdy, CMC, or Hill.  The fact that Dak was No. 2 proves the voters were either uninformed or just stupid. If anyone thinks Dak Prescott is an MVP type player they are not watching the games very closely.  

The defense has generally been very good for Baltimore, and like I said, mileage may vary with the OLine. Sometimes it’s been quite good, sometimes not. The run game is effective because half the defense is selling out to stop Lamar on every handoff because he either actually keeps it himself or fakes like he is. He and Andrews have basically been the only skill players with a pulse on offense up until they finally gave him a decent rookie last year. 

Agreed it was a weak MVP season last year but that would have been the case no matter who they ultimately awarded it too. There just weren’t any great candidates and somebody had to win. I think Tyreek Hill would have been my vote personally but he slipped up a bit down the stretch. For a little while it was looking like he might hit 2,000 yards receiving. 

Edited by DCOrange

On 7/22/2024 at 11:57 PM, billybrew1 said:

Nobody should make it…. Milano should NOT make it. You have to play most of the previous year is criteria one.

Bernard needs another season to have some sort of consistency to make the list. He doesn’t even have one full season.

I do think Dawkins deserves it though…His last season plus his career together is pretty darn impressive….

It has been a complaint of tons of fans all year…. The Bills have one primo player. Josh Allen and that’s it….

We used to have Tre, Hyde and Poyer but they are long gone….Now Diggs too…Morse was a high level red chip player as well…gone.

I don’t think the Bills can add many players for next season either…They won’t put a rookie on the team unless it is some kind of unimaginable season. I doubt many second years players are on the list either. Possibly candidates imho: McGovern if he has an excellent season at C (but It’s still a long shot I think. Even many Bills fans do not know he had a magnificent season as a first year Bill. Maybe Cook? But it is hard if you’re a one dimensional player. He’d certainly have to catch better. Samuel? I doubt it because I don’t think many fans know who he is yet. It would to be magnificent again. Ed is not good enough, Groot as well….Von is not going to light it up. Bernard is still too unknown but possibly with a magnificent season. Milano might do it but it would have to clear pro bowl play for around 16 games. I just don’t see it next year either…. Maybe the following year though…. If players like I mentioned above have two great seasons in a row they stand a great chance…

So is it based on last season or not?  Trying to keep up...