Lefties: Who do you endorse?

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The funny thing is Biden would still be on the ticket if Trump didn’t agree to debate him.  Between that and not shutting up halfway through his speech this would be a cakewalk for him.

Sounds like a good populist pitch to me.  Run 3rd party.

The length of his speech became a non-story days ago. OBE as they say. 

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The funny thing is Biden would still be on the ticket if Trump didn’t agree to debate him.  Between that and not shutting up halfway through his speech this would be a cakewalk for him.

Biden would still be on the ticket if the bullet didn't miss..

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And the summer of COVID.

Whatever. It sucked.

I am much, much better off today. And I think most people, if reminded of what their lives were like then, would agree.

Out of genuine curiosity, what makes it better today?  Are you just comparing it to the first few months of covid and now?

For us, Covid was great for our family. Our lives are better because of Covid. 

However, our lives from before Covid (Jan of 2020) and now is much "worse". I mean we have a great life and a lot of things are really going well for us. However, inflation has really hurt our abilities to save money like we were prior to it. We are still saving money (so again I cant complaining, we our very fortunate) however inflation has really hurt our ability to spend. Especially with not being able to save as much and the cost of vehicles going up. We will now have to wait probably 2 years to pay for our car in cash... (again very blessed to have this "problem", but it could be easier)

12 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

Out of genuine curiosity, what makes it better today?  Are you just comparing it to the first few months of covid and now?

For us, Covid was great for our family. Our lives are better because of Covid. 

However, our lives from before Covid (Jan of 2020) and now is much "worse". I mean we have a great life and a lot of things are really going well for us. However, inflation has really hurt our abilities to save money like we were prior to it. We are still saving money (so again I cant complaining, we our very fortunate) however inflation has really hurt our ability to spend. Especially with not being able to save as much and the cost of vehicles going up. We will now have to wait probably 2 years to pay for our car in cash... (again very blessed to have this "problem", but it could be easier)

S and P up 40 percent since  he took office, inflation down to the point where the fed is considering rate cuts

8 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

S and P up 40 percent since  he took office, inflation down to the point where the fed is considering rate cuts

Compared to other Western countries, we are doing great. 

Compared to a fictional ideal in the minds of people who are terminally online, everything is a disaster. 

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And the summer of COVID.

Whatever. It sucked.

I am much, much better off today. And I think most people, if reminded of what their lives were like then, would agree.

I would have hated to see how the petulant blue state governors would have reacted if Trump would have somehow won in 2020.  

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Biden would still be on the ticket if the bullet didn't miss..

No because anybody other than Trump (insert generic Republican) would be up double digits on Biden so they would've pulled the plug even earlier.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Correct.

And for me, at my late career stage, the ability to save money and earn interest at historically normal rates (around 4.5-5 percent) finally allows me to not depend on the stock market always going up. That takes away a major anxiety.

36 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I don't care about S&P (short term at least). I guess my 401k is happy?

Maybe too broad of a question but if inflation is down, why are my groceries still really expensive?

2 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

Maybe too broad of a question but if inflation is down, why are my groceries still really expensive?

No, that's a fair question.

It isn't that prices are going down and returning to 2021 levels. That would be deflation, and economists (who don't agree on much) pretty much all agree that that would be bad. 

It's that prices are now going up at normal/low rates of about 3 percent a year, which allows people to have reasonable expectations about price levels now in and in the future.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It isn't that prices are going down and returning to 2021 levels. That would be deflation, and economists (who don't agree on much) pretty much all agree that that would be bad. 

It's that prices are now going up at normal/low rates of about 3 percent a year, which allows people to have reasonable expectations about price levels now in and in the future.

You try so hard! 🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

More of a "your opinion" question...

With taking into account that the person in charge cannot play Monday morning QB while it is happening, 

Would inflation (and I guess the econ in general) more/less, do the same thing happen because of COVID and the world during that time? As in no matter who was president D or R (and not just necessarily Biden/Trump, any pres.)

Question part 2 is, did Biden (or whatever is running the WH) save/fix the economy. If so, what did they do right. 

(Please don't take this like I'm grilling you, I certainly don't know the answer nor have I had the time or want to in studying it)

Also from part 2, did Biden and team really do anything one way or another, or would the economy and everything kind of bounce back either way, again regardless of who is in charge, D or R.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

More of a "your opinion" question...

With taking into account that the person in charge cannot play Monday morning QB while it is happening, 

Would inflation (and I guess the econ in general) more/less, do the same thing happen because of COVID and the world during that time? As in no matter who was president D or R (and not just necessarily Biden/Trump, any pres.)

Question part 2 is, did Biden (or whatever is running the WH) save/fix the economy. If so, what did they do right. 

(Please don't take this like I'm grilling you, I certainly don't know the answer nor have I had the time or want to in studying it)

Also from part 2, did Biden and team really do anything one way or another, or would the economy and everything kind of bounce back either way, again regardless of who is in charge, D or R.

Spoiler alert: Biden didn't do anything. Everything costs 2-3x what it used to cost so any gains people think they have were wiped out. Inflation has destroyed the dreams of the next generation and all they can do is kick the can down the road to try and keep it somewhat manageable.

Once it became apparent that Trump was going to win, the market reacted favorably in what they called a Trump Trade. Energy and tech went back up. Then everything stalled today under the uncertainty once they swapped out Biden. The market already factored in a Trump W so watch what happens if Kamala catches up. I have significant investments in real estate (Biden-Harris introducing nation wide rent control) and crypto (Biden-Harris wants to regulate) which would both take a big hit as well as overall confidence loss in stocks as many investors will be pulling their money for safer alternatives. If you have any investments or just want a decrease in government spending (Trump vows no more funding of wars) then vote Trump. Pretty simple. Someone would have to be pretty stupid to think the side giving money to Ukraine and college loans is the financially responsible side.

https://www.bankrate.com/investing/trump-trade/

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/investing/dow-stock-market-trump-presidency/index.html

S&P up 67% during the orange era. That includes Covid time. Maybe you can provide the orange inflation numbers. 

6 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Total non starter if most people can't afford to invest. 

5 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Cause like always, we are being gas lite by the current administration.

6 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Compared to other Western countries, we are doing great. 

Compared to a fictional ideal in the minds of people who are terminally online, everything is a disaster. 

Do u actually go out and buy stuff? Because if you did, we are not doing great. This current administration is spending money at an astonishing rate, which isn't helping inflation. I don't care what this administration tells us otherwise. You would too if you could think for yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Total non starter if most people can't afford to invest. 

Cause like always, we are being gas lite by the current administration.

Do u actually go out and buy stuff? Because if you did, we are not doing great. This current administration is spending money at an astonishing rate, which isn't helping inflation. I don't care what this administration tells us otherwise. You would too if you could think for yourself.

These people must live in caves because EVERYTHING is light years more expensive than they have EVER been. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

These people must live in caves because EVERYTHING is light years more expensive than they have EVER been. 

Their democrats, critical thinking need not apply. They want drones, and unfortunately they have plenty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1