Excellent Article on Terrel Bernard from Tim Graham

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We need to be able to win when the offense isn't great

The Chiefs offense played the jags, Jets and Patriots as poorly as we did and they managed to come away w 3 wins

Isn't great is an understatement.  The offense actively lost the Jets game with turnovers.  Punts and field goals would have won the game.  Against the Pats and Jags the offense had managed 10 and 7 points going into the 4th quarter.  Thats bad.  Winning when the offense is bad is hard to do in the modern NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Wow, the Chiefs lost 5 of their top 8 games where their opponents rushed the most. The Ravens lost 3/4. 

It’s almost like teams run the ball more when they are winning. Shocking development. Somebody send a letter to the Bills brass to let them know!

Interesting comment.  So I did some minor research.  

KC:  Yes, in their worst season in 6 seasons.  The year prior not the case.  '21, the opposite.  '20 not the case.  

Bal:  To three above-average rushing teams.  3 of our 4 were against well below-average rushing teams.  

Neither team narrowly missed making the playoffs either and were not in the same situations, losing games to notably inferior teams more often than not.  

The difference must be coaching.  

;) 

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Isn't great is an understatement.  The offense actively lost the Jets game with turnovers.  Punts and field goals would have won the game.  Against the Pats and Jags the offense had managed 10 and 7 points going into the 4th quarter.  Thats bad.  Winning when the offense is bad is hard to do in the modern NFL.

Again I refer you to the Chiefs with whom we had a lot of common opponents last season

They were able to win those games and their offense fared similarly or even worse in many cases.

4 hours ago, eball said:

Some of you like to roll your eyes at me when I talk about luck being a crucial component of playoff success...and the Bills just haven't gotten their share of breaks the way the Chiefs have.  These teams are so close and Josh is every bit the playoff QB Mahomes is.

Of course. I believe in Josh.

But McDermott doesn't compare to Andy Reid.

One is playing chess, the other is playing checkers. 

I'm very sorry 

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Of course. I believe in Josh.

But McDermott doesn't compare to Andy Reid.

One is playing chess, the other is playing checkers. 

I'm very sorry 

You missed the point, I believe. If we get our “fair share of breaks” the story sounds very different. Andy Reid is a first ballot HOF coach. I’m not spitting on McD because things have yet to go his way against an all-time great coach. But we CAN do it, it just hasn’t happened yet. 

I’m not making excuses due to injuries. It’s more of an explanation. I was disappointed, again, but I was also entertained. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I was so excited to see him in the playoffs because all our other top players on defense fail in the playoffs. I was hoping he would rise up. Then the injury. Gut punch. Ugh!

Two years in a row gut punches. Von Miller then Bernard.

I'm so sick of the gut punches.  Year after year.  But, with a new season, all the hope returns.

50 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

KC:  Yes, in their worst season in 6 seasons.  The year prior not the case.  '21, the opposite.  '20 not the case.  

Bal:  To three above-average rushing teams.  3 of our 4 were against well below-average rushing teams.  

Neither team narrowly missed making the playoffs either and were not in the same situations, losing games to notably inferior teams more often than not.  

;) 

Yes-  KC has better coaching than us.

whats your point?  Maybe we should sign Andy Reid and Spags.  

conpare the chiefs to any team in the league-  you get the same results.  Maybe every team should fire their coach and hire them too

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

With the exception of the Eagles OT loss, the offense was largely a no show in all of our losses.  

Yes but in four of those losses the offense left the field with the lead and the Defense and Special Teams blew it - Jets, Broncos, Patriots, and Eagles(twice).  It took a miracle no-call against the Giants for the defense to not blow another lead. All but one of those teams have terrible offenses.  McD's defense choked away multiple games.  Same story every year. His defense pads their stats against bad teams and can't stop the better ones.  I will give him his credit as he does seem to be able to stop the Dolphins most of the time. 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

;) 

obviously, it must have changed for KC because their coaches sucked this year?  The difference has gotta be coaching. Oh wait. Lmao. 

Btw, we were the second seed, higher than KC. We were guaranteed playoffs going into week 18.

I guess KC having 3 dog ***** teams in their division is just because of just how good they are. If the Bills were better, the Dolphins wouldn’t have made the playoffs. Except for the whole 2-0 thing against them. 

Your takes are usually well-reasoned, but this one sucks. Back to the workshop.

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

obviously, it must have changed for KC because their coaches sucked this year?  The difference has gotta be coaching. Oh wait. Lmao. 

Btw, we were the second seed, higher than KC. We were guaranteed playoffs going into week 18.

I guess KC having 3 dog ***** teams in their division is just because of just how good they are. If the Bills were better, the Dolphins wouldn’t have made the playoffs. Except for the whole 2-0 thing against them. 

Your takes are usually well-reasoned, but this one sucks. Back to the workshop.

No, as usual, you leapfrogged the primary point.  

No worries, I'm used to it.  

;) 

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

No, as usual, you leapfrogged the primary point.  

No worries, I'm used to it.  

;) 

The primary point… that it’s coaching. 

Not that losses and rushing yards allowed have been correlated since like 1924. 

Couldn’t be. 

McD should have broken Tua’s knees during the bye week, so the Bills had no challengers for the playoffs. Herbert got hurt because of how great the Chiefs were, his index finger snapped right in half vs the Broncos because of Andy Reid. 

Like I said, back to the drawing board.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

The primary point… that it’s coaching. 

Not that losses and rushing yards allowed have been correlated since like 1924. 

Couldn’t be. 

McD should have broken Tua’s knees during the bye week, so the Bills had no challengers for the playoffs. Herbert got hurt because of how great the Chiefs were, his index finger snapped right in half vs the Broncos because of Andy Reid. 

Like I said, back to the drawing board.

No, you still missed it, the basis anyway.  

No need to discuss further however.  

I'm very open to the notion that it didn't mean as much as it may seem, but there is a difference, as pointed out, between us and the others.  

• Dislike 1

Yes, excellent article...I subscribe to the Athletic, so was able to read in full.  BTW, Joe B has not resurfaced on the A, and wondering if he no longer employed there. I know he had a long paternity leave planned, but, camp is here.

In terms of Bernard, I was surprised when he surfaced as the choice at MLB.  However, I now believe that he was drafted to play that role for the Bills, and they targeted a more mobile and active lb for MLB.  Results would say they got it right so far.  He is not yet "complete", but starting at a reasonably high level in his first season.  Yes, he was missed in the playoffs.  :(

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

This is all true but one caveat on the Jets game, Allen was sacked five times and they gave up a return for a TD.  

yes though his second half interceptions can't happen.

6 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Yes, excellent article...I subscribe to the Athletic, so was able to read in full.  BTW, Joe B has not resurfaced on the A, and wondering if he no longer employed there. I know he had a long paternity leave planned, but, camp is here.

In terms of Bernard, I was surprised when he surfaced as the choice at MLB.  However, I now believe that he was drafted to play that role for the Bills, and they targeted a more mobile and active lb for MLB.  Results would say they got it right so far.  He is not yet "complete", but starting at a reasonably high level in his first season.  Yes, he was missed in the playoffs.  :(

Joe is back today!

Both Milano and Bernard are undersized heat seeking missiles. The way they play you have to expect some injuries. Dorian Williams should be ready to push them this year too. Bad things man.