What is your drink limit before you get behind the wheel?

Another Fan

On 7/21/2024 at 5:50 PM, Another Fan said:

Never been a bar person but sometimes like going to a tavern or what not after work.  

For me, no more than 2 beers.  Sometimes only one.

Had another online friend on another forum that was almost killed by a drunk driver years back.  Ironically his user name was AnotherGuy which is where my AnotherFan handle came from.  

Does this question include concurrent opiate usage or not?

Edited by Irv

21 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

My drink limit is my bladder size - not want to drive with a full bladder.

My alarm clock is my bladder, but that’s another issue. 

• Agree 1

Depends on how much weed is smoked. 

In all seriousness, it's surprising in a good way to see most of the answers teetering on one or two. Having watched many Bills games at Bills bars, that hasn't been my observation, though. 

For me, at 6.4/270 lbs, the drive limit if Im being honest is prob capped at 4 beers or 3 hard ones before I Uber, if I drove there. If I plan to drink, I usually will Uber. 

Also, for the gin haters, it makes far better martinis than vodka. 

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

ou try Long Drinks yet? It's basically Gin & Grapefruit/Squirt in a can. Been my official drink of Summer 2024

https://thelongdrink.com/thestory/#

Thaks  for letting me know what is in that. Another thing I can never have. If you have had a traspant of any type, you cannot have anything with grapefruits or pommrgranites  ever again. Something in them  interferes with  the activation of anti-rejection meds in the liver.

42 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

In all seriousness, it's surprising in a good way to see most of the answers teetering on one or two. Having watched many Bills games at Bills bars, that hasn't been my observation, though. 

For me, at 6.4/270 lbs, the drive limit if Im being honest is prob capped at 4 beers or 3 hard ones before I Uber, if I drove there. If I plan to drink, I usually will Uber. 

Also, for the gin haters, it makes far better martinis than vodka

i'll fight you on this.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Thaks  for letting me know what is in that. Another thing I can never have. If you have had a traspant of any type, you cannot have anything with grapefruits or pommrgranites  ever again. Something in them  interferes with  the activation of anti-rejection meds in the liver.

There's a cranberry flavor! 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

For me, at 6.4/270 lbs, the drive limit if Im being honest is prob capped at 4 beers or 3 hard ones before I Uber

So that really is you in your avatar!

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Also, for the gin haters, it makes far better martinis than vodka. 

I was meeting a friend at The Battery for drinks a couple years ago. I knew it was drinks, so I took an Uber there. Before the Covid craziness it was a $7-$8 ride to go about 3 miles taking about 8 minutes. I was a bit miffed that the Uber ride there was going to be $19, but cheaper and safer than a DUI so I took it. A few hours later I try to get home and it says $34! 😱 OK, lesson learned and I clicked on it. And waited. And waited. “No Drivers Available.” 

So I walked home about 3 miles on a steamy Day. No big deal, but it made me wary of Uber for a while. More recently I’ve gotten back into the habit and trust it again. 

During college I went to my roommates house during the summer. It was a hot day, and they had a beautiful pool. His father walked over and handed me a gin and tonic, and it was one of the most refreshing beverages of any type I’ve ever had in my life. I don’t think I’ve had another since (I’m not a liquor guy), but decades later I vividly remember that cocktail. 

EDIT: I’d be willing to un-retire for $34 every 8 minutes.  😋

Edited by Augie

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was meeting a friend at The Battery for drinks a couple years ago. I knew it was drinks, so I took an Uber there. Before the Covid craziness it was a $7-$8 ride to go about 3 miles taking about 8 minutes. I was a bit miffed that the Uber ride there was going to be $19, but cheaper and safer than a DUI so I took it. A few hours later I try to get home and it says $34! 😱 OK, lesson learned and I clicked on it. And waited. And waited. “No Drivers Available.” 

So I walked home about 3 miles on a steamy Day. No big deal, but it made me wary of Uber for a while. More recently I’ve gotten back into the habit and trust it again. 

During college I went to my roommates house during the summer. It was a hot day, and they had a beautiful pool. His father walked over and handed me a gin and tonic, and it was one of the most refreshing beverages of any type I’ve ever had in my life. I don’t think I’ve had another since (I’m not a liquor guy), but decades later I vividly remember that cocktail. 

EDIT: I’d be willing to un-retire for $34 every 8 minutes.  😋

For some reason whenever I attend a wedding, I drink gin and tonic.

I live about a mile from the battery by the way. I keep telling my wife we need to go there more often.

5 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

For some reason whenever I attend a wedding, I drink gin and tonic.

I live about a mile from the battery by the way. I keep telling my wife we need to go there more often.

Same college buddy was flying in from Cincinnati with his wife the Reds game Monday night. His flight was cancelled, he got deathly ill and went to the Doc, and the game was rained out. It was REALLY not meant to happen! 

We say the same thing about The Battery.  I took the same guy there for a game once (he loves baseball) but we were throwing darts and by the time we went to pay the Braves were getting killed and everyone was coming out so we stayed put. I felt bad he never got inside so I promised we would go inside regardless of what happened. Hey! Some things are out of my control! 

Many years ago, there was a guy at my work that would ride a bike to the bars. A middle-aged guy who would drink a lot. Taxi's were (and still are) expensive, so that was his solution. One night on his way home he wrecked the bike, hit his head and killed himself. At least his carelessness didn't kill somebody else. 

Uber / Lyft has made it so much easier, and cheaper to get around. Uber is my go-to for the Sunday afternoon football outings. Now if I'm deciding if I'll have another beer, I go ahead and get 4. 

On 7/24/2024 at 2:27 PM, Augie said:

I keep both the Uber and Lyft apps on my phone.  Lyft I've found is typically a bit cheaper, but cheaper does not mean as good/better.  My experience is Lyft drivers have older vehicles and questionable drivers.  

For example, arriving at my home airport, I check Uber pricing after we landed, but before getting off the plane, and for a ride home (about a 15 minute drive since it was after 11pm at night, but three flights all come arrive in a 15-20 time span) was going to be over $70. Lyft was about $30.  Checking again at baggage claim, Uber was now over $80, Lyft had only gone up to $35, so I booked Lyft.  My driver, I don't remember what his vehicle was, but I get in and it smelled like pot, and the whole trip to my house, he's on speaker phone with some friend of his, constantly saying "n-word this", "F that", etc.  But hey, I saved $50. 

Edited by Just Jack

I don't drink enough to not be able to drive.  Some thing happened to me after 40.  I just don't drink much at all.

I never have alcohol at the house.  If I go out, 2 beers at the most and barely finish the second. 

It's getting to the point where it's like eating broccoli as a kid for me.