What is your drink limit before you get behind the wheel?

Another Fan

Never been a bar person but sometimes like going to a tavern or what not after work.  

For me, no more than 2 beers.  Sometimes only one.

Had another online friend on another forum that was almost killed by a drunk driver years back.  Ironically his user name was AnotherGuy which is where my AnotherFan handle came from.  

I like to have at least four. It eases my nerves before i get on the highways of Atlanta.   😋

Oh, maybe you meant…..never mind…….

Like many, I did stupid things when I was young. Life has taught me many lessons, and I really try not to get behind the wheel with any alcohol in me.  A couple glasses of wine over a couple hours is as wild as it gets these days, and that is rare. 

We have some family history with the potential consequences of drinking and driving. I’m more sensitive to it than many. Rideshare is your friend. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Never been a bar person but sometimes like going to a tavern or what not after work.  

For me, no more than 2 beers.  Sometimes only one.

Had another online friend on another forum that was almost killed by a drunk driver years back.  Ironically his user name was AnotherGuy which is where my AnotherFan handle came from.  

It's hard to give a definitive number because ABV varies so wildly from drink to drink. Even among beers only, there's a big difference between a 4.5% and an 8.5%, and the latter seems to be much more prevalent than the former these days.

That said, I generally won't drive if I've had more than two beers or two glasses of wine. The duration of time over which those drinks were consumed and the amount of food I did or did not have with them also plays a part.

More than anything, it's kind of a "feeling" thing. I like to think that after this many years, I've got a pretty good "meter" for when to stop drinking, when not to drive, etc. While I enjoy consuming alcohol, I genuinely don't enjoy being cognitively impaired. I always try to avoid getting "drunk", irrespective of whether driving is involved.

Regardless, If I have even the slightest doubt whatsoever, I won't drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

If I'm dropping by for a quick beer after work it's a Blue light bottle and only one. Two if I'm sitting down for a meal (which typically takes an hour or more). Anything longer than that I'm finding alternative ways home.

• Like (+1) 2

I won't drive if I have been drinking. We use Uber in and out for club situations. I refuse to put myself or my family OR the public at any risk. I'm pretty staunch about it. Plus my vision isn't great in ideal circumstances. Yeah for me it's none.

driving in socal is no joke. Not very much room for error.

@LeviF that person who sideswiped us ended up causing $8000 of damage to hubby's vehicle, $500 insurance deductible . Loser that drove away hit and run paid ZERO

pfft

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

my drinking is really when we go out to dinner.  my move is that i usually have a mixed drink when i get there, and a glass of wine at dinner.  Anything beyond that and i'm not driving.  i just uber at this point now.  in some of the local areas, it's easier to uber than it is to park.

• Like (+1) 1

For years it has been two at most but have at least one pop between  beers. Have had at most 12  beers  since 1/1/23. Docs said I could have a beer every now and then  post transplant, but taking 18 different meds a day (30 pills), I don't want to mess up my heath at all. Last time I had any alcohol was 12/25/23.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If I drink more than 8 or 9 gin & tonics that just means that I need to drive with one eye closed so the lines aren’t blurry.

Are you serious?…….Gin?

I don’t know how anyone can drink that stuff…..except in a pinch.

• Like (+1) 1

One beer is plenty for me. 

I remember days of yore  where we had several beverages at the bowling alleys.   Young and foolish. 

I have to give credit to my kids as they are Uber users when they go out.

But going out has reduced as they have young children

DUI's now cost $10,000 to $15,000 and  calling Uber is much cheaper.

On 7/21/2024 at 6:43 PM, Augie said:

I like to have at least four. It eases my nerves before i get on the highways of Atlanta.   😋

Oh, maybe you meant…..never mind…….

This is how I read the title too :lol:

54 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Gin and tonic or gin and grapefruit juice is my go-to summer time cocktail.

You try Long Drinks yet? It's basically Gin & Grapefruit/Squirt in a can. Been my official drink of Summer 2024

https://thelongdrink.com/thestory/#

• Like (+1) 1