Harris 2024

5 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Of course there should be a safety net for those who truly can't help themselves. Typical leftist deflecting.

Kamala has repeatedly spoke of equity, or forced equal outcomes. This is a basic tenet of Marxist theory.

You can't run away from that,  although they'll continue to try.

equal opportunities not outcomes....were you given opportunities or were you disadvantaged?  do you believe some Americans are disadvantaged?

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Everyone wants "ideas."

Most "ideas" are bad ideas.

Look at what this election season has give us so far:

- huge tariff increases (Trump) - and now Harris

- no taxes on tips (Trump, now Harris)

- a "strategic" Bitcoin reserve (Trump) - and now Harris/dems/schumer supporting BTC

- some kind of price controls (Harris)

My takeaway: We need fewer "ideas," not more.

Looks like the Left is now supporting Trump's policies and they don't even realize it.

1 minute ago, phypon said:

Looks like the Left is now supporting Trump's policies and they don't even realize it.

Why doesn't this make you happy?

Now we've got this "you stole my ideas, so you suck, but in a different way than you sucked before."

What I listed are all objectively bad ideas. Ask any economist other than Peter Navarro. I prefer Harris because she's not all-in on the dumbest ones like tariff increases. Which would be huge under Trump.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why doesn't this make you happy?

Now we've got this "you stole my ideas, so you suck, but in a different way than you sucked before."

What I listed are all objectively bad ideas. Ask any economist other than Peter Navarro. I prefer Harris because she's not all-in on the dumbest ones like tariff increases. Which would be huge under Trump.

No, tariff increases are on the Left platform now, or at least in play.

The point is, the supporters of the Left have trashed and criticized all of these policies because they were brought up by Trump and now that Harris and the Left are supporting these policies (that they hated an hour ago) the supporters think it's great.  You don't see something off about that?  I'm not specifically talking about you, but it's a problem when people only follow and don't think for themselves.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, phypon said:

So much for the Free market competition of ideas... Taxes on Tips is an inserting one as it depends on the actual rules. 

Initially this sounded like a way to:

1. put downward pressure n wage... e.g. we pay less salary but you make it up in bonus (read tips) that aren't taxed.

2. Sound good to working class wage earners but end up cutting any salary or benefits they currently receive (see 1)

Harris if for limiting this to working class jobs, and I assume there will be other protections so that this is not regressive. Haven't see the details (of either proposal.

I don't' see much about trade and tariffs other than she will most likely continue the current policies which are a partial walk back of the felons bad trade policies (see farmers).

BitCoin is a disaster for all of us. "Between the lines: Schumer is expected to champion a bill from Senate Democrats to expand the federal government's ability to oversee digital assets. The legislation has received a lukewarm response from the industry.Schumer will point out that Senate Republicans are standing in the way of the bill going forward in the chamber, the source said."

Again it's against price gouging and is not price controls. There is actually a difference. (limiting profit in a crisis situation vs taking over industry and setting prices)

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

So much for the Free market competition of ideas... Taxes on Tips is an inserting one as it depends on the actual rules. 

Initially this sounded like a way to:

1. put downward pressure n wage... e.g. we pay less salary but you make it up in bonus (read tips) that aren't taxed.

2. Sound good to working class wage earners but end up cutting any salary or benefits they currently receive (see 1)

Harris if for limiting this to working class jobs, and I assume there will be other protections so that this is not regressive. Haven't see the details (of either proposal.

I don't' see much about trade and tariffs other than she will most likely continue the current policies which are a partial walk back of the felons bad trade policies (see farmers).

BitCoin is a disaster for all of us. "Between the lines: Schumer is expected to champion a bill from Senate Democrats to expand the federal government's ability to oversee digital assets. The legislation has received a lukewarm response from the industry.Schumer will point out that Senate Republicans are standing in the way of the bill going forward in the chamber, the source said."

Again it's against price gouging and is not price controls. There is actually a difference. (limiting profit in a crisis situation vs taking over industry and setting prices)

Don't take my word for it:

• Like (+1) 1

I hate tipping.

I therefore hate the idea of a law that would encourage tipping.

And that's without even considering the economic distortions that would come from taxing tips and wages differently.

Maybe you all like tipping. Maybe you just love when the takeout counter girl flips that screen to suggest a 25% tip for handing you a muffin. Maybe you'd love to see that hotel desk clerk do the same thing, or to have the Hilton.com site add a tip box at checkout, or to have your flight attendant show you a tip screen when you order a beer. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I hate tipping.

I therefore hate the idea of a law that would encourage tipping.

And that's without even considering the economic distortions that would come from taxing tips and wages differently.

Maybe you all like tipping. Maybe you just love when the takeout counter girl flips that screen to suggest a 25% tip for handing you a muffin. Maybe you'd love to see that hotel desk clerk do the same thing, or to have the Hilton.com site add a tip box at checkout, or to have your flight attendant show you a tip screen when you order a beer. 

We agree here.  Tipping is BS.  You pay for a service, why should I have to pay extra to pay your workers?  This was brought up when this first came out, the US is one of the only countries where people tip.  To me, it's a way for businesses to cut costs and pay workers less.  That being said, it happens and I don't think people should be taxed on tips.  The other point, kamala is stealing the policy.  Bottom line, Say No To Tips!!  It's stupid!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, phypon said:

Bottom line, Say No To Tips!!  It's stupid!

I agree. But I violate my own rule all the time.

And it'll get harder when there's a little sign on the cafe counter that says:

"Our dedicated workers rely on your tips to provide up to 70% of their earnings. Please keep this in mind as you proceed to checkout." And then the flip screen will get really big so the guy behind me can clearly see that I tapped "no tip."

Social pressure is hard to overcome. We want to be nice people. We don't want to see someone getting only the "tipped worker" minimum wage of $2.13 or whatever it is now.

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. But I violate my own rule all the time.

And it'll get harder when there's a little sign on the cafe counter that says:

"Our dedicated workers rely on your tips to provide up to 70% of their earnings. Please keep this in mind as you proceed to checkout." And then the flip screen will get really big so the guy behind me can clearly see that I tapped "no tip."

Social pressure is hard to overcome. We want to be nice people. We don't want to see someone getting only the "tipped worker" minimum wage of $2.13 or whatever it is now.

Oh man, I totally agree with you there.  I have a hard time with it too.  If I get takeout food delivered, I always tip.  If I pick it up and see that jar on the counter, I have to fight to not tip, lol.  I'm getting better though.  I know it's like a guilt psyop thing with the jar and it's now starting to upset me.  

It's also part of my upbringing.  Have an appliance or furniture delivered, tip the delivery guys.   It's just out of control.  I'm not saying I'm on board with paying fast food workers $30 an hour, but a waitress or waiter busting their ass at a restaurant...they should be paid by their employer.  Those joints charge enough for subpar food and have plenty of money to pay their workers.  If I can grill a fillet mignon for $16 dollars and they want to charge me $60 and it's not even as good, they can pay their help.

I've also noted a creep in the suggested tip at the bottom of a receipt recently.

It used to be 15%, 18%, 20% everywhere.

I'm seeing 18%, 20%, 22% alot.

I've even seen 20%, 25%, 30%!

I worked as a bartender a long, long time ago so I always tip well IF the service is good.

But I absolutely don't get forced into it. And I make a point of not tipping at all if the service is particularly sub par. That used to happen once in a blue moon, it's unfortunately become more common lately.

3 minutes ago, phypon said:

Oh man, I totally agree with you there.  I have a hard time with it too.  If I get takeout food delivered, I always tip.  If I pick it up and see that jar on the counter, I have to fight to not tip, lol.  I'm getting better though.  I know it's like a guilt psyop thing with the jar and it's now starting to upset me.  

It's also part of my upbringing.  Have an appliance or furniture delivered, tip the delivery guys.   It's just out of control.  I'm not saying I'm on board with paying fast food workers $30 an hour, but a waitress or waiter busting their ass at a restaurant...they should be paid by their employer.  Those joints charge enough for subpar food and have plenty of money to pay their workers.  If I can grill a fillet mignon for $16 dollars and they want to charge me $60 and it's not even as good, they can pay their help.

All true.

I also kind of hate what the new tipping culture has done. When I went to Starbucks or wherever, I used to have my standard buck or two for the tip jar. For the last few pre-COVID years it was the only reason I'd even carry cash. Around Christmas I'd drop in a 5 or 10. Once in a while even a 20 if I was a regular. Made me feel like a good person. I'd notice that I was definitely in the minority here. Most people didn't leave any tip at all. Now that a tip is an expectation it's taken away that feel good about myself moment.

My breaking point was a restaurant that started adding TWO tip lines. One was the standard, split among "front of the house" workers. The other was deducted to the "back of the house" - the chefs/food prep folks. Never went back after they did that.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

All true.

I also kind of hate what the new tipping culture has done. When I went to Starbucks or wherever, I used to have my standard buck or two for the tip jar. For the last few pre-COVID years it was the only reason I'd even carry cash. Around Christmas I'd drop in a 5 or 10. Once in a while even a 20 if I was a regular. Made me feel like a good person. I'd notice that I was definitely in the minority here. Most people didn't leave any tip at all. Now that a tip is an expectation it's taken away that feel good about myself moment.

My breaking point was a restaurant that started adding TWO tip lines. One was the standard, split among "front of the house" workers. The other was deducted to the "back of the house" - the chefs/food prep folks. Never went back after they did that.

Two separate tip jars for the front and back??  That's really pushing it!!  And thought the tipping was bad enough at the strip clubs!!

• Haha (+1) 1

Other than orange thug, who else that has worked or grown up with Harris thinks she has a low IQ?  trump had someone else take his exams to get into Columbia.  Where's the evidence harris cheated?  Maybe looking into her past will give you a sense of how successful she's been throughout her life.  But I doubt it:  She's a black woman...,

https://www.wvtf.org/2024-08-05/we-spoke-to-5-people-who-knew-kamala-harris-before-she-was-vp-heres-what-we-learned

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Other than orange thug, who else that has worked or grown up with Harris thinks she has a low IQ?  trump had someone else take his exams to get into Columbia.  Where's the evidence harris cheated?  Maybe looking into her past will give you a sense of how successful she's been throughout her life.  But I doubt it:  She's a black woman...,

https://www.wvtf.org/2024-08-05/we-spoke-to-5-people-who-knew-kamala-harris-before-she-was-vp-heres-what-we-learned

Where's the evidence for that?

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Where's the evidence for that?

His niece.  U Penn, not Columbia, my mistake.

https://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyle/trump-paid-proxy-to-take-college-entrance-exam-for-him-nieces-book-says-idUSKBN2490B2/

Oh, and his sister

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-secret-recordings-sat-penn/2020/08/27/ea7a6640-e892-11ea-a414-8422fa3e4116_story.html

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Like (+1) 1