Harris 2024

3 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

What if I claim 100k, of which 10k is tips but you mismanage it between April and May, Should that be a concern? Or are you really mad an additional 1k in tips was not paid because they did not keep track of it? I am against intentionally not paying taxes but requiring people to keep track in such a detailed manner is insane. I am curious what business you are in?

$1,000 mistake isn’t fraud and there would be no worry about charges. You’re talking about $200 max at tax at a 20 percent effective rate.

In audits, if you owe less than $200/$250 in taxes after the audit, the IRS just let it go and gives you a no change.

When we start getting into theory on taxing agency, we should have a taxing agency that is punitive towards general willful offenders and more lenient on innocent mistakes.

If your friends are worried about jail time due to tip issues you should let them know about LEM criteria. This is the criteria the IRS uses to determine if they’ll take a criminal case. For the most part it looks at tax due. When I was with the IRS 10 years ago, it was $100,000 of tax due evaded before they’d consider criminal. In Miami, it was $1,000,000. (It’s not a hard cut number, for example elderly people generally won’t face criminal tax evasions unless it really bad vs a celebrity could face it if it’s less since that brings publicity, which could get compliance from others)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

$1,000 mistake isn’t fraud and there would be no worry about charges. You’re talking about $200 max at tax at a 20 percent effective rate.

In audits, if you owe less than $200/$250 in taxes after the audit, the IRS just let it go and gives you a no change.

When we start getting into theory on taxing agency, we should have a taxing agency that is punitive towards general willful offenders and more lenient on innocent mistakes.

If your friends are worried about jail time due to tip issues you should let them know about LEM criteria. This is the criteria the IRS uses to determine if they’ll take a criminal case. For the most part it looks at tax due. When I was with the IRS 10 years ago, it was $100,000 of tax due evaded before they’d consider criminal. In Miami, it was $1,000,000. (It’s not a hard cut number, for example elderly people generally won’t face criminal tax evasions unless it really bad vs a celebrity could face it if it’s less since that brings publicity, which could get compliance from others)

I do not know people who have had their personal taxes audited that did not clear it but I do know people whose businesses were audited and came up 7k off over a 3 year period. He was charged more than 10k in penalties + what was owed and all of the mistakes were in categorizing his deductibles, all the info was present and organized by a certified accountant. Your faith in the IRS is much more than mine, and I will state that criminal charges don't have to result in jail time to be devastating. 

Edited by Orlando Buffalo

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

MAGA's are so dumb.

I'm impressed with how many reflectionless undead were on the tarmac cheering.

image.png.be630e128230874ee6c4a51ab9fc825e.png

I think I'm beginning to miss the days when politicians were more crooked than dumb.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

I'm impressed with how many reflectionless undead were on the tarmac cheering.

image.png.be630e128230874ee6c4a51ab9fc825e.png

I think I'm beginning to miss the days when politicians were more crooked than dumb.

When are we gonna see the videos of Kamala coming off the plane to an empty tarmac?  Ya'll are nuts.

13 hours ago, Tommy Callahan said:

It's a very weird dynamic because VP's are generally seen as useless.  John Adams called the vice presidency "the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."  They don't have a defined role like Secretary of State, Education, etc.. so they don't have the risk of being fired.  All they really do of significance is break ties in the Senate.  Dick Cheney is pry the exception to the rule.  Maybe Walter Mondale too.  I really don't know how much that means in terms of Harris striking the balance of taking the positives that happened under Biden while distancing herself from the negatives.  She could just say politely the old man everyone thought was too senile to run for reelection was too stubborn to implement the new policies I'm proposing.  How many of the few people still on the fence will buy it?  Who knows.  This is a first in American politics.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's a very weird dynamic because VP's are generally seen as useless.  John Adams called the vice presidency "the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."  They don't have a defined role like Secretary of State, Education, etc.. so they don't have the risk of being fired.  All they really do of significance is break ties in the Senate.  Dick Cheney is pry the exception to the rule.  Maybe Walter Mondale too.  I really don't know how much that means in terms of Harris striking the balance of taking the positives that happened under Biden while distancing herself from the negatives.  She could just say politely the old man everyone thought was too senile to run for reelection was too stubborn to implement the new policies I'm proposing.  How many of the few people still on the fence will buy it?  Who knows.  This is a first in American politics.

The problem with Biden is if he's too senile to run for President then he's too senile to be President. But they'll avoid and attack any attempt so force him out and let finish his term as the cast of characters that have made presidential decisions run the administration. The last thing the Democrats want is to have Biden step down before the election. That would provide the voters a glimpse of Harris as President which has its potential risks and rewards. I expect her handlers would like to avoid the risk of any demonstrations of incompetence and any duties that distract from the campaign before the election. Keep her in controlled and scripted situations they can control is the plan. So far its worked pretty good.  

• Like (+1) 1