Harris 2024

52 minutes ago, phypon said:

Serious question.  What was better for you over the last 3.5 years?  How have things been better for you now than over the previous administration?  Again, serious question, not trying to pull a "gotcha" here.  Genuinely curious. 

Yes it is. Finically my 401k has doubled. My community received grants to improve it. My friends and neighbors all seem to have more work or are busier at work than they have been in years. It’s all anecdotal but the general tenor seems to be positive.

Mentally it’s not constant lies and drama and double speak. I’m not embarrassed by the president. 

Not to say there aren’t issues. The systematic undermining of the constitution by SCOTUS and removal of freedoms. The persistent background noise of dem/libs dehumanization and they all need to die is concerning.  The constant attacks on the rule of law is disappointing. The seeming rise of or interest in authoritarian rule is disturbing. 

Finally as of a couple of weeks ago it feels like a fever has broken over the county. That we might be able to stop talking about the grievances or random words of one man and start talking about how to actually improve things.  

your mileage may vary.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

Yes it is. Finically my 401k has doubled. My community received grants to improve it. My friends and neighbors all seem to have more work or are busier at work than they have been in years. It’s all anecdotal but the general tenor seems to be positive.

Mentally it’s not constant lies and drama and double speak. I’m not embarrassed by the president. 

Not to say there aren’t issues. The systematic undermining of the constitution by SCOTUS and removal of freedoms. The persistent background noise of dem/libs dehumanization and they all need to die is concerning.  The constant attacks on the rule of law is disappointing. The seeming rise of or interest in authoritarian rule is disturbing. 

Finally as of a couple of weeks ago it feels like a fever has broken over the county. That we might be able to stop talking about the grievances or random words of one man and start talking about how to actually improve things.  

your mileage may vary.

I appreciate your answer.  Thank you for answering and sharing your point of view.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

I respect your perspective and opinion but another perspective on what the SCOTUS has done is curtail powers of the central government's executive branch and returned the authority they've encroached upon back to the States and Congress. Such as the Chevron defense case where regulators are free to interpret laws and impose legislative like actions on companies and citizens. Reducing the power and authority of the central government over the lives of the citizens enhances freedoms. It does not reduce them.

If there's one concerning theme from my view over the past few decades is the encroachment of the executive branch on the authorities and powers of Congress, the courts, and the States.  The real divide isn't left or right but rather people that support more federal control vs. people that want to reduce the power of the central government.

5 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I respect your perspective and opinion but another perspective on what the SCOTUS has done is curtail powers of the central government's executive branch and returned the authority they've encroached upon back to the States and Congress. Such as the Chevron defense case where regulators are free to interpret laws and impose legislative like actions on companies and citizens. Reducing the power and authority of the central government over the lives of the citizens enhances freedoms. It does not reduce them.

If there's one concerning theme from my view over the past few decades is the encroachment of the executive branch on the authorities and powers of Congress, the courts, and the States.  The real divide isn't left or right but rather people that support more federal control vs. people that want to reduce the power of the central government.

I fundamentally disagree. 

The states were on the brink of economic disaster; and the central government had little power to settle quarrels between states. Disputes over territory, war pensions, taxation, and trade threatened to tear the country apart.

States rights, like the 50 experiments in the highway system? The rulings recently on the Chevron act, citizens united, Dobbs, and presidential immunity are all radical changes in the compact that only seem to benefit corporate interests. It's all ways to reduce the scope and power of the fed so companies can venue shop regulation, have outside influence in elections, bribe the POTUS. divide and Conquer": to make a group of people disagree and fight with one another so that they will not join together against one. His military strategy is to divide and conquer."  

Here is an example, fracking in PA, corp interest were stymied at the state level so went make deals at individual township, borough and property owner level, orgs that were ill prepared to deal with the consequences and were easily / cheaply paid off. Which is why the state has to step in and create the liquid fuels program to both regulate and collect and  redistribute tax funds collected from fracking to the small communities to maintain their roads etc. 

Unions are the same deal, of course companies want to stop unions, companies only care about profit, unions care about the worker (gross over simplification but the tenant holds). I can't see how anyone but the bosses are against unions. Thing unions have too much power? Get involved in the union leadership. Same with promotion of states right, this is code for localized abuse of power. 

Why shouldn't there be the same standard for education, or clean water or food safety in Alabama and New York? The federal government is the only thing powerful enough to take on foreign states And multinational corporate interest, which is why they both spend so much time trying to undermine it. IMHO.

• Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

So a super pac paid an 'influencer' I thought you guys supported citizens united? What about Elmo using his $44Billion dollar social media platform or his super pac running a voter data mining operation? What's the big deal again?

3 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Pot meet kettle

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

I fundamentally disagree. 

The states were on the brink of economic disaster; and the central government had little power to settle quarrels between states. Disputes over territory, war pensions, taxation, and trade threatened to tear the country apart.

States rights, like the 50 experiments in the highway system? The rulings recently on the Chevron act, citizens united, Dobbs, and presidential immunity are all radical changes in the compact that only seem to benefit corporate interests. It's all ways to reduce the scope and power of the fed so companies can venue shop regulation, have outside influence in elections, bribe the POTUS. divide and Conquer": to make a group of people disagree and fight with one another so that they will not join together against one. His military strategy is to divide and conquer."  

Here is an example, fracking in PA, corp interest were stymied at the state level so went make deals at individual township, borough and property owner level, orgs that were ill prepared to deal with the consequences and were easily / cheaply paid off. Which is why the state has to step in and create the liquid fuels program to both regulate and collect and  redistribute tax funds collected from fracking to the small communities to maintain their roads etc. 

Unions are the same deal, of course companies want to stop unions, companies only care about profit, unions care about the worker (gross over simplification but the tenant holds). I can't see how anyone but the bosses are against unions. Thing unions have too much power? Get involved in the union leadership. Same with promotion of states right, this is code for localized abuse of power. 

Why shouldn't there be the same standard for education, or clean water or food safety in Alabama and New York? The federal government is the only thing powerful enough to take on foreign states And multinational corporate interest, which is why they both spend so much time trying to undermine it. IMHO.

Congress is free to take up any legislative action or the President can propose laws to remedy any shortcomings you identify or other issues. But the executive branch shouldn't just issue decrees and rulings at the whim of the President and his political constituents or his favored special interests along with the administrative bureaucracy.  

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Congress is free to take up any legislative action or the President can propose laws to remedy any shortcomings you identify or other issues. But the executive branch shouldn't just issue decrees and rulings at the whim of the President and his political constituents or his favored special interests along with the administrative bureaucracy.  

Are we talking past each other? Chevron was about congress empowering agencies to set and review standards, removing it forces expert congress persons (said no one ever) and judges to decide technical rules and for corporation to shop courts to challenge rules.

If the house GOP were good faith actors maybe congress could get anything done. Literally anything. When congress works to solve problems and not grandstand for made up points then sure maybe it can do something. but the GOPs breaking congress and then saying it's the only way to do anything seem disingenuous at best.

I'm for limiting the power of the POTUS. The president is not a king.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

So everyone else put Billy's new trolling account on block?  

In his world the sky is purple.

13 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

Are we talking past each other? Chevron was about congress empowering agencies to set and review standards, removing it forces expert congress persons (said no one ever) and judges to decide technical rules and for corporation to shop courts to challenge rules.

If the house GOP were good faith actors maybe congress could get anything done. Literally anything. When congress works to solve problems and not grandstand for made up points then sure maybe it can do something. but the GOPs breaking congress and then saying it's the only way to do anything seem disingenuous at best.

I'm for limiting the power of the POTUS. The president is not a king.

So your 401 k is better. Everything else is up. The only way you can say your better off is if you have a raging case of tds. You clearly have an axe to grind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

She's not. You had it better under Trump. Facts.

Hoax.  Pandemic.  Inflation.  Increased national debt.  Failure to do anything about the southern border.   Deprivation of bodily freedom.  Hallmarks of the trump administration. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yikes

Is that the daughter he had from his affair?

31 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Omg

That's how everyone viewed her, even after Biden's disastrous debate.  Then she gets installed as nominee and she's suddenly amazing?  Right.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Back to the thread.

Harris’s basement campaign

So far Vice President Harris has been running a tightly scripted campaign that puts the clamps on her deep thoughts.

Adjusted for circumstances, her campaign resembles then candidate Biden’s basement campaign of 2020. In Biden’s case, the basement literally kept him out of view. In Harris’ case, the campaign is to keep her formerly expressed public policy views out of view. 

Harris’s public policy views cannot withstand scrutiny. Although they have essentially reflect the orthodoxy of the Democratic Party, they are stupid and unpopular.

Rich Lowry’s column “Kam’s sociopathic lies” demonstrates how she camouflages them in scripted settings. Her nascent campaign doesn’t seem to have an answer ready to hand. Thus the basement campaign.

Has Harris made a single intelligent, perceptive, or interesting comment in the course of her political career? Since her election as vice president, she has routinely achieved brain-damaging vacuity when speaking without a script.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2024/08/harriss-basement-campaign.php

This is a weird post.  Also,  you are weird.  And adult who looks at cartoons all day?  Weird.  Very weird. 

• Dislike 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Hoax.  Pandemic.  Inflation.  Increased national debt.  Failure to do anything about the southern border.   Deprivation of bodily freedom.  Hallmarks of the trump administration. 

You spelled Biden administration wrong.

• Sad 1