Harris 2024

4 hours ago, Biden is Mentally Fit said:

Why are people wondering about her positions? What difference does it make? It’s all right there in the Democrat platform!

Are you mentally fit, JDHIllFan? You seem a little discombobulated. 

Here it seems that Chris Cilizza was somehow able to divine what Kamala's positions today are. That's how he's able to list how she's, you know, changed her positions. Including on that pivotal plastic straw issue.

Yet you seem mystified. 

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Here it seems that Chris Cilizza was somehow able to divine what Kamala's positions today are. That's how he's able to list how she's, you know, changed her positions. Including on that pivotal plastic straw issue.

Yet you seem mystified. 

Do you think she changed so many positions just to get elected?

30 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Do you think she changed so many positions just to get elected?

Yes!

Except it's not "just" to get anything. It's to get elected President of the United States of America! 

To get elected the District Attorney of San Francisco, or the Attorney General of California, or the (then) Junior Senator from California, you have to appeal to an electorates that aren't that similar to those of the median American voter. Or more to the point, to the median voter of one of the few swing states that will determine who is the next President.

Not to criticize Trump here, but just to draw a comparison: in 2016, he was a blank slate. He'd said a lot of things over the years, but he never held elected office. He could be stridently anti-abortion when he needed to win the Republican Primaries in places like Iowa. He could continue to do that in 2020 because everyone knew that whatever he said would run into a judicial veto in the form of Roe v. Wade. Then guess what? His strategy worked! Roe was overturned. And guess what after that? He's now trying to stake out a middle position on abortion.

Same with Tim Walz. Represented a purple district in Congress and was kind of the last of the conservative(ish) Democrats. Became Governor of a liberal state and started fitting his positions into the profile of the median Minnesota governor. Now he's running for nationwide office and I'd expect him to sound a lot more like the Congress guy.

This is not an awful thing. We like our Presidents to have some core beliefs, and usually they do. You're not gonna find Kamala advocating for a mass deportations scheme, and you're not gonna find Trump advocating for an increase in tax rates. So those things stay constant. Bill Clinton was a very successful President because he "triangulated" as they said, a silly euphemism for "compromising and moving closer to the center."

I am quite frankly bored with the "you're a flip flopper!" arguments. I don't want a President who is unresponsive to where the median voter is. It's a feature of our nationwide elections, not a bug.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yet you seem mystified. 

Thank you for asking. I will leave it to the experts, including you, to judge my mental fitness. You have one of the lowest bars on the planet so I am slightly optimistic regarding my diagnosis.

I haven’t heard from her necessarily. Seems to be mostly from anonymous aides. While that is fine, and possibly preferred, for a deep-state enthusiast such as yourself I would like to see our next president be a stand-up sort and state her “current” positions. She can do this!

Do you believe her “current” positions reflect her values that haven’t changed? How exactly would that work?

52 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes!

Except it's not "just" to get anything. It's to get elected President of the United States of America! 

To get elected the District Attorney of San Francisco, or the Attorney General of California, or the (then) Junior Senator from California, you have to appeal to an electorates that aren't that similar to those of the median American voter. Or more to the point, to the median voter of one of the few swing states that will determine who is the next President.

Not to criticize Trump here, but just to draw a comparison: in 2016, he was a blank slate. He'd said a lot of things over the years, but he never held elected office. He could be stridently anti-abortion when he needed to win the Republican Primaries in places like Iowa. He could continue to do that in 2020 because everyone knew that whatever he said would run into a judicial veto in the form of Roe v. Wade. Then guess what? His strategy worked! Roe was overturned. And guess what after that? He's now trying to stake out a middle position on abortion.

Same with Tim Walz. Represented a purple district in Congress and was kind of the last of the conservative(ish) Democrats. Became Governor of a liberal state and started fitting his positions into the profile of the median Minnesota governor. Now he's running for nationwide office and I'd expect him to sound a lot more like the Congress guy.

This is not an awful thing. We like our Presidents to have some core beliefs, and usually they do. You're not gonna find Kamala advocating for a mass deportations scheme, and you're not gonna find Trump advocating for an increase in tax rates. So those things stay constant. Bill Clinton was a very successful President because he "triangulated" as they said, a silly euphemism for "compromising and moving closer to the center."

I am quite frankly bored with the "you're a flip flopper!" arguments. I don't want a President who is unresponsive to where the median voter is. It's a feature of our nationwide elections, not a bug.

do you think her "flip flops" are sincere

Someone said, why does it matter what Kamala’s positions are, since they are the same as the democrat parties. And I actually agree with that. 

a vote for trump is a vote for trump. A vote for Kamala is a vote for democrats, and we know what they are about. Kamala is just another puppet for them.  

• Like (+1) 1