Dolphins’ Shaq Barrett retiring from NFL

He went back to play for Bucs and then sign $9 Million free agent contract with Phish so it is still odd he retired now.  His wife had birth of daughter Allanah in February so it is not something which immediately came to mind after birth of latest child.    He was released in May from Bucs and he may just be not feeling drive after bring in practices and dealing with Phish staff.

• Dislike 2

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Dont blame him at all after the loss of his daughter. 

2 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

He went back to play for Bucs and then sign $9 Million free agent contract with Phish so it is still odd he retired now.  His wife had birth of daughter Allanah in February so it is not something which immediately came to mind after birth of latest child.    He was released in May from Bucs and he may just be not feeling drive after bring in practices and dealing with Phish staff.

Yeah,  unless Barrett has said it was about the death of his daughter that's a lot of speculation by @Roundybout regarding a very sensitive topic.    

• Agree 1

Pretty sure the Dolphins were banking on him being a heavy contributor on that defensive front with the ongoing rehabs of Phillips and Chubb. I wish Barrett the best in his retirement. 

Good for him and his family, 🙏

obviously not so good for the fish, and again, obviously good for us and all their opponents,  such is life in the NFL…, 

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah,  unless Barrett has said it was about the death of his daughter that's a lot of speculation by @Roundybout regarding a very sensitive topic.    

If he said his retirement is because he wants to spend time with his family, I imagine that is as close as he’ll get to saying that. I wouldn’t be able to talk about it without losing it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He probably would just pay it back

He’ll have to pay back the signing bonus since that’s all he’s gotten so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

If he said his retirement is because he wants to spend time with his family, I imagine that is as close as he’ll get to saying that. I wouldn’t be able to talk about it without losing it. 

Perhaps but it's a also THE boilerplate retirement statement and the timing aligns with a standard "didn't feel like going to camp and it was that time" retirement .

Barrett was still a legitimately good pass rusher but he's not the finisher he used to be.

I'd say there is a good chance he will return at some point.   We've seen guys walk away from money like that and return months later for less when they realize they miss the game and think they can still play.    

In any event,  this has to be seen as good news for the Bills with Chubb and Phillips seen as likely not available for that Thursday night game against Buffalo and now Barrett probably not playing as well.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Shaquil Barrett signed a 1 year , $7,000,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including $5,540,000 signing bonus, $6,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,000,000.

I could see him not returning it immediately and then after Phish exhausted cap UN-retiring.  It is only a few weeks until season starts.

I don't know when he'll (be forced to) return the money but I'd bet he's retiring for good.  And the Dols will definitely go after the signing bonus.