2024 MLB thread (second half edition)

BADOLBILZ

10 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

kimbrell blows another game in  the 9th that scumbag.  Fortunately the Yanks lost also but the RedSox have now invited themselves to the party

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Semi optimistic, at least they didn't give up a top  prospect

Elfin is decent and makes sense.  Not a world beater and can’t get Soto out.  The Dominguez/Hays trade was a coup for both teams.  Each profiles better in the park/situation they are entering.  An old fashion trade.   Maybe they face each other at a pivotal moment in game 7.  Would be fun.

10 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

kimbrell blows another game in  the 9th that scumbag.  Fortunately the Yanks lost also but the RedSox have now invited themselves to the party

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Semi optimistic, at least they didn't give up a top  prospect

Elfin is decent and makes sense.  Not a world beater and can’t get Soto out.  The Dominguez/Hays trade was a coup for both teams.  Each profiles better in the park/situation they are entering.  An old fashion trade.   Maybe they face each other at a pivotal moment in game 7.  Would be fun.

• Like (+1) 1

Is it me or is the trade deadline becoming less and less relevant as the years go by?

A few factors imo: expanded playoff field results in less teams that give up on their season. Long term constracts lessen the pool of high-end players in their walk year.

The White Sox are currently on a 21-game losing streak. They have a 27-88 record. The ML record for most consecutive losses is held by the 1889 Louisville Colonels who lost 26 in a row and finished their season 27-111. The NL record for most losses is held by the 1961 Phillies with 23 straight losses. The last team to lose 21 in a row was the 1988 Orioles.

17 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

O's win, EE splits. back to a deadeven tie

Had to think about that. Or that just your way of giving them “the bird”? 

(it is Evil Empire, isn’t it?)

40 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

O's win, EE splits. back to a deadeven tie

Hope this stands come Sept.22. Think ‘O’s got the tie breaker. Be even better were it the last regular season series. 

On a side note, Chapman threw 104.7 and 105.1 tonight. I didn’t see it. 😝

Also, tonight I had a Tiger flashback watching the portly lefty Skubal……Mickey Lolich, him I saw.

7 minutes ago, US Egg said:

Hope this stands come Sept.22. Think ‘O’s got the tie breaker. Be even better were it the last regular season series. 

On a side note, Chapman threw 104.7 and 105.1 tonight. I didn’t see it. 😝

Also, tonight I had a Tiger flashback watching the portly lefty Skubal……Mickey Lolich, him I saw.

I saw one pitch on twitter that said 104, I think that radar was off.

... Mickey Lolich 1968 WS against the Cardinals stole the show from Denny McClain 31 game winner.  I was 8 years old lol

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Mickey Lolich 1968 WS against the Cardinals stole the show from Denny McClain 31 game winner

And then McClain bashed Lolich and stole…..everything? 

If you haven’t heard of this site check it out. https://sabr.org/  Player bios in brief. McClain’s is quite a read. 

image.png

12 minutes ago, US Egg said:

And then McClain bashed Lolich and stole…..everything? 

If you haven’t heard of this site check it out. https://sabr.org/  Player bios in brief. McClain’s is quite a read. 

image.png

Wow that was a great story. his off field life was much more interesting than his baseball greatness lol. Thanks for the link

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Wow that was a great story. his off field life was much more interesting than his baseball greatness lol. Thanks for the link

Read Ty Cobb…..yikes!!!

11 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I saw a signed baseball by him on Antiques Roadshow valued at a ridiculous price

The one that was also signed by the 3 ***** League players? Oops! Actually that ball is in the ***** Baseball HOF.

Read Cobbs bio, then think about that ball he signed with them after he saw the wrongs of his ways. Thought I read or heard Reggie Jackson wasn’t for forgiving Cobb. I think he was right.

Edited by US Egg

8 hours ago, US Egg said:

Had to think about that. Or that just your way of giving them “the bird”? 

(it is Evil Empire, isn’t it?)

I thought the Evil Empire was the Pats or at least the FORMER Evil Empire.