Global IT Issue effecting everything from airplanes to banks to hospitals to equity market

Big Turk

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Im sure there is someone, somewhere still using 3.1. Hopefully it’s a joke about Southwest. Massive security risk.

The security risk depends on what services / network you have installed.  You can disable a lot of stuff you do not need.

The system at USPTO where I worked was up to date with recently security patches and that is when a hacker got it in for the patch enabled a hole which hackers tested more than those who deployed it did.  As part of "security patch" it enabled some items needed by advertisers and was included a part of "security fix".

Each time you install such patches you are risking being attacked by someone who was not able to attack you before.

Servers should be installed with minimalist software but it is amazing how much is installed and enabled automatically.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Locks & dams aren't affected! Still not a PLC in our joint... Only way to hack it is to bust in through the door of my control house, beat me over the head, and start pushing all my buttons!😆 

cc: @BringBackFergy @Mike in Horseheads

😏

I'm sure the "Ivory Tower" is locked down to prevent such beatings

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Locks & dams aren't affected! Still not a PLC in our joint... Only way to hack it is to bust in through the door of my control house, beat me over the head, and start pushing all my buttons!😆 

😏

Is there a line forming yet? Are reservations accepted?   😋

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

😏

To be fair, it's tough to integrate/install 21st century technology at a work place still run on knob and tube wiring and asbestos insulated walls.

And that's just fine with the ACOE commanders.

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is there a line forming yet? Are reservations accepted?   😋

Yes. No.😊 

12 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

To be fair, it's tough to integrate/install 21st century technology at a work place still run on knob and tube wiring and asbestos insulated walls.

And that's just fine with the ACOE commanders.

Actually... It's very easy.  They just don't want to spend the money on things that are right-side up. Boondoggles that don't turn a profit are easier to fund.😏 

17 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Are you trolling or gullible? 

What Meltdown? Southwest Flew On Time All Day

@SinceThe70s

From the Forbes article:

"

A story on the website govtech.com on Friday asked the question, “Why isn’t Southwest affected by the CrowdStrike/Microsoft outage?

“That’s because major portions of the airline’s computer systems are still using Windows 3.1, a 32-year-old version of Microsoft’s computer operating software,” the website said. “It’s so old that the CrowdStrike issue doesn’t affect it so Southwest is still operating as normal. It’s typically not a good idea to wait so long to update, but in this one instance Southwest has done itself a favor.”

"

Edited by Poleshifter
tag the poster

23 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

What Meltdown? Southwest Flew On Time All Day

@SinceThe70s

From the Forbes article:

"

A story on the website govtech.com on Friday asked the question, “Why isn’t Southwest affected by the CrowdStrike/Microsoft outage?

“That’s because major portions of the airline’s computer systems are still using Windows 3.1, a 32-year-old version of Microsoft’s computer operating software,” the website said. “It’s so old that the CrowdStrike issue doesn’t affect it so Southwest is still operating as normal. It’s typically not a good idea to wait so long to update, but in this one instance Southwest has done itself a favor.”

"

Forbes and many others incorrectly reported this as a Win 3.1 issue by scraping info from other ‘sources’.

SW and Alaska airlines do not use CrowdStrike: https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireStory/airlines-except-recovering-crowdstrike-tech-outage-feds-noticed-112167272#:~:text=Some airlines%2C including Southwest and,IT systems are Windows-based.

Edited by Mr Info
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

The security risk depends on what services / network you have installed.  You can disable a lot of stuff you do not need.

The system at USPTO where I worked was up to date with recently security patches and that is when a hacker got it in for the patch enabled a hole which hackers tested more than those who deployed it did.  As part of "security patch" it enabled some items needed by advertisers and was included a part of "security fix".

Each time you install such patches you are risking being attacked by someone who was not able to attack you before.

Servers should be installed with minimalist software but it is amazing how much is installed and enabled automatically.

Patch one hole, open another. As far as using minimal software, end users  are most likely going to want every option available to them. As well as some network engineers.  

As far as Windows 3.1.  It does look like Southwest uses it. My inclination would be 3.1 is being used due to a legacy reservation system.  Surprises me the Microsoft hasn’t closed that hole, specifically there most likely isn't licensing opportunities by Microsoft on legacy systems rendering them unsupported.  Doesn’t explain why the backend was unaffected by Crowdstrike unless they simply don’t use the product.

8 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Patch one hole, open another. As far as using minimal software, end users  are most likely going to want every option available to them. As well as some network engineers.  

As far as Windows 3.1.  It does look like Southwest uses it. My inclination would be 3.1 is being used due to a legacy reservation system.  Surprises me the Microsoft hasn’t closed that hole, specifically there most likely isn't licensing opportunities by Microsoft on legacy systems rendering them unsupported.  Doesn’t explain why the backend was unaffected by Crowdstrike unless they simply don’t use the product.

Crrowdstrike is a cloud security tool and Windows 3.1  (likely used on point of sale terminals not database) does not have services they require to support  it.  

They contacted me once about a position. 

On 7/29/2024 at 6:30 PM, Poleshifter said:

Southwest Airlines was up and running, unaffected by the Crowdstrike outage.

Why? Because they were using Windows 3.1 which was not affected by the outage. Yes, a 30+ year old version of Windows.

I thought that was hilarious.

I had no problem booting up earlier today.

122-2247_IMG.jpg

On 7/30/2024 at 12:58 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

I'm sure the "Ivory Tower" is locked down to prevent such beatings

Just slide an Asian carp under the door.  He will come out screaming and flee and you’ll have the run of the place.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

I saw this at the Las Vegas airport a few years ago.

airportWindowserror.thumb.JPG.000ad37d9de7189d2d80bb74faaad582.JPG

Not that unusual. I worked at a job where in lab systems were regularly reloaded and clock was set at specific date-time in instructions.  The reason given was that they wanted tests to be done and compared with standard results but they had to for they had no licenses and were using evaluation copies of Windows.