Global IT Issue effecting everything from airplanes to banks to hospitals to equity market

Big Turk

This is kinda crazy how things are so interconnected that a single bad update could cause this type of widespread issue that has things ground to a halt for hours and hours and hours.

Crowdstrike, a global IT security firm, pushed out a corrupted update for Windows that caused a bunch of problems and has ground many IT related things to a halt overnight and into this morning.

Really scary to think if it's this easy for someone to simply release a bad update and do this, what could China or another country do to the USA if it declares war on us...and apparently they have been infiltrating our infrastructure systems for years and years now undetected.  They could potentially shut down everything once they have things in place and pull the trigger on it.

https://www.theverge.com/24201803/crowdstrike-microsoft-it-global-outage-airlines-banking

My wife got held up leaving NYC yesterday. All the flights got pushed back, and when she finally got to ATL all the shuttle trains were shut down. The original plan was not to get home at 1:00am. 

I went to get some blood work done and there was a sign up that there may be delays due to Global Microsoft IT problem.

This will probably end up like 911 and COVID-19 being blamed for many things including prices which go directly into profits.

It should only be issue for companies which use that particular firm's resources.

That company should be put out of business. Their website has a statement saying they are "rebels" changing the system or some stupid ***** like that. Turns out they are just incompetent #######s.

This outage affected 911 capability in many cities, including my own. Hospitals, too. There should be serious consequences.

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This is kinda crazy how things are so interconnected that a single bad update could cause this type of widespread issue that has things ground to a halt for hours and hours and hours.

Crowdstrike, a global IT security firm, pushed out a corrupted update for Windows that caused a bunch of problems and has ground many IT related things to a halt overnight and into this morning.

Really scary to think if it's this easy for someone to simply release a bad update and do this, what could China or another country do to the USA if it declares war on us...and apparently they have been infiltrating our infrastructure systems for years and years now undetected.  They could potentially shut down everything once they have things in place and pull the trigger on it.

https://www.theverge.com/24201803/crowdstrike-microsoft-it-global-outage-airlines-banking

Imagine a combined attack with a viral pandemic and a tech shutdown.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

It probably was a hack-job. Why would a global IT security firm admit they've been hacked affecting hundreds or thousands of businesses and millions of people? 

Unlikely. Much more likely an incompetent software engineer pushed something out due to lax policies for testing changes before pushing out to production...

Coming from a Senior DevOps engineer.

Edited by Big Turk

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Unlikely. Much more likely an incompetent software engineer pushed something out due to lax policies for testing changes before pushing out to production...

Coming from a Senior DevOps engineer.

Or something pushed by someone high in chain to make a required deadline.

It has happened to me in past.

20 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife got held up leaving NYC yesterday. All the flights got pushed back, and when she finally got to ATL all the shuttle trains were shut down. The original plan was not to get home at 1:00am. 

We had an afternoon flight out of NYC and fortunately weren't affected. What was funny was seeing all of the video monitors going through a constant reboot, login screen, blue screen of death cycle. The arrival/departure displays were fine.

This about sums it up:

When I was active duty, the Sys Admins tested every update before they rolled them out to gen pop. I thought that was SOP. I guess not.

I would go a step further: don't rely on Windows to be your Production System. Better options exist.

Got a 6am call our networks were down across our health system and needed to get to the clinic ASAP.  Needed to decide if we were canceling patients for the day or ride it out until we couldn’t.  Ended up canceling long treatments as shorter ones were able to get done. Our IT had to touch every PC on the system as has been documented elsewhere. Fully up and running 1230/1:00.

Makes you think how an unintentional bug like this brought down computers worldwide, what could they do if it was intentional?

Southwest Airlines was up and running, unaffected by the Crowdstrike outage.

Why? Because they were using Windows 3.1 which was not affected by the outage. Yes, a 30+ year old version of Windows.

I thought that was hilarious.

25 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

Southwest Airlines was up and running, unaffected by the Crowdstrike outage.

Why? Because they were using Windows 3.1 which was not affected by the outage. Yes, a 30+ year old version of Windows.

I thought that was hilarious.

Are you trolling or gullible? 

• Haha (+1) 1