Anonymous NFL Exec: "Josh Allen is one of the more overrated players in the NFL"

In the last 3 years, Josh would probably have at least 6 more regular season victories and at least one Super Bowl ring if the Bill's defense didn't crap the bed in crucial, end of the game situations.  Quit blaming Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I can not rap my mind aroudn this last sentence.  What evidence do you have that Allen doesn't take the game seriously?  This is an astonishing thing to post. 

His own actions and statements.

He's openly said he doesn't watch much film, and I think this shows on game day.
He can't wait to get on the golf course in the offseason, including when he had elbow and shoulder injuries that impacted him during the season.
He's been making the same mental mistakes his entire career and has consistent execution holes in his game that he isn't improving.

For the record, I think Allen is a top 3 QB in the NFL right now, and probably top 2, but I also think he's an underachiever that reaches the heights he does because of his immense physical gifts. I'm not making an argument that he's a slacker that comes into camp out of shape or doesn't know the playbook, but I don't for a second think this game means as much to him as it did to Brady or Manning. He's not putting in that dawn to dusk work that those guys were famous for.

The first couple of years in the league it was clear he put in incredible work on his technique that propelled him to the largest turn-around story in NFL history. However, he peaked in that year 3 season. While it's not realistic to see him make those kinds of monument jumps, as the amount he has to improve is far smaller, you would expect some incremental growth, and I don't think we've seen very much in terms of growth in 3 full seasons since then.

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Mahomes leaks all the time.

Everyone has leaks in their game, but Mahomes' leaks aren't costing him hardware.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's openly said he doesn't watch much film, and I think this shows on game day.
He can't wait to get on the golf course in the offseason, including when he had elbow and shoulder injuries that impacted him during the season.
He's been making the same mental mistakes his entire career and has consistent execution holes in his game that he isn't improving.

For the record, I think Allen is a top 3 QB in the NFL right now, and probably top 2, but I also think he's an underachiever that reaches the heights he does because of his immense physical gifts. I'm not making an argument that he's a slacker that comes into camp out of shape or doesn't know the playbook, but I don't for a second think this game means as much to him as it did to Brady or Manning. He's not putting in that dawn to dusk work that those guys were famous for.

The first couple of years in the league it was clear he put in incredible work on his technique that propelled him to the largest turn-around story in NFL history. However, he peaked in that year 3 season. While it's not realistic to see him make those kinds of monument jumps, as the amount he has to improve is far smaller, you would expect some incremental growth, and I don't think we've seen very much in terms of growth in 3 full seasons since then.

Everyone has leaks in their game, but Mahomes' leaks aren't costing him hardware.

1. I know this is not addressed to me, but I am at the point of not caring what he does in the off season. Every season, on the FIELD, he gives his all, often putting his body on the line and damn near doing magic tricks to carry the team to a win. Yes, sometimes he turns the ball over too much(and we all hope he cleans that up), but his pros outweigh his cons. His turnover to touchdowns ratio is only 2nd to Mahomes.

2. I don't think any of the QB's that are considered top3-5 are putting in dusk to dawn. Burrow has been attending fashion shows and events. Mahomes has been traveling all over the world, playing golf, attending Wimbledon, walking into camp with a dad bod 🙄

3. Allen's "leaks aren't costing him hardware" either. Allen is what makes the team a contender every season, and when the season comes to an end in the playoffs it is rarely because of him. He barely turns the ball over, and usually goes god mode in the playoffs. His game against the Dolphins a couple years ago was good and bad, but The Bills won that one. The Bills have been the 2 seed 3 times out of the last four years, so whatever issues people have with Allen, I don't think you can blame him for a whole lot.

55 minutes ago, ALG1130 said:

1. I know this is not addressed to me, but I am at the point of not caring what he does in the off season. Every season, on the FIELD, he gives his all, often putting his body on the line and damn near doing magic tricks to carry the team to a win. Yes, sometimes he turns the ball over too much(and we all hope he cleans that up), but his pros outweigh his cons. His turnover to touchdowns ratio is only 2nd to Mahomes.

2. I don't think any of the QB's that are considered top3-5 are putting in dusk to dawn. Burrow has been attending fashion shows and events. Mahomes has been traveling all over the world, playing golf, attending Wimbledon, walking into camp with a dad bod 🙄

1) I'm not over caring what he does in the offseason, because he isn't getting the job done. If you fail every single year and you have an extra 5-6 months to improve your game and you have an extra 4-6 hours a day, you should be putting in the work if this is really the reason you're alive. If it's just a job and you're punching a clock, of course you don't do that, but those folks aren't going for greatest X of the year awards. We can talk all day about how he's second only to Mahomes, but Mahomes is the guy who's been to 6 straight AFCCG, 4 Super Bowls with 3 wins, has 2 MVP awards, 2 SB MVP Awards, and a OPOY award. Allen meanwhile has one AFCCG appearance on his resume and a trophy cabinet with a bunch of division championship pennant flags hanging off it. Personally, i think Allen is more than content to collect his half a billion dollars to give 70-80% in the offseason and 100% on Sundays.

2) Mahomes in the greatest in the world and at minimum the 2nd best player of all-time. He's doing everything he needs to do to hit that level, so if he wants to eat Wendy's with Andy and do commercials, that's his prerogative. If Mahomes retired today, he'd be a unanimous 1st ballot Hall of Famer. If Josh Allen retired today, he'd never see the Hall of Fame unless he bought a ticket. Maybe he could carpool with Andrew Luck.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

1) I'm not over caring what he does in the offseason, because he isn't getting the job done. If you fail every single year and you have an extra 5-6 months to improve your game and you have an extra 4-6 hours a day, you should be putting in the work if this is really the reason you're alive. If it's just a job and you're punching a clock, of course you don't do that, but those folks aren't going for greatest X of the year awards. We can talk all day about how he's second only to Mahomes, but Mahomes is the guy who's been to 6 straight AFCCG, 4 Super Bowls with 3 wins, has 2 MVP awards, 2 SB MVP Awards, and a OPOY award. Allen meanwhile has one AFCCG appearance on his resume and a trophy cabinet with a bunch of division championship pennant flags hanging off it. Personally, i think Allen is more than content to collect his half a billion dollars to give 70-80% in the offseason and 100% on Sundays.

2) Mahomes in the greatest in the world and at minimum the 2nd best player of all-time. He's doing everything he needs to do to hit that level, so if he wants to eat Wendy's with Andy and do commercials, that's his prerogative. If Mahomes retired today, he'd be a unanimous 1st ballot Hall of Famer. If Josh Allen retired today, he'd never see the Hall of Fame unless he bought a ticket. Maybe he could carpool with Andrew Luck.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/19/2024 at 12:58 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

“Immense talent but he makes a lot of mistakes. He’s underdeveloped at winning at the line of scrimmage, tends to lock on to targets, more of a thrower than precision passer, forces throws into traffic.”

I can’t really disagree with the quote above.  Those are Josh Allen’s flaws, no one is perfect.  But Josh is very clearly the 2nd best player in the league behind only Mahomes.  I don’t think anyone would argue otherwise 

• Like (+1) 1

Cowherd NAILED it!!! Josh lacks the coaching or team builder that Mahomes has. Reid and the GM know how to build a team around a great QB, whereas McDermott is more concerned with defense. 

Josh Allen is a GREAT, HOF level QB. If McDermott doesn't drastically improve he should be tossed out of Orchard Park. He has an utterly fantastic QB and consistently fails to maximize and prolong his talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Your first paragraph is talking about stuff completely out of context.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

While I get what you’re saying about Allen to some extent, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor, Joe Montana and others would laugh at your saying Mahomes is the second best player all time.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

I'll have to look it up again when I have more time, but I recall reading that Mahomes had more than a dozen TD's while throwing the ball less than 3 yards last season. That sounds like shovel-type passes to me.

Allen had something like 3 or 4 of the same type.

Edit: And Mahomes average TD pass was 3.9 yards per pass in the air last season.

And 2022 was 4.5

That's wild. 

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

And 2022 was 4.5

That's wild. 

This is one of many reasons why I consider Allen and Mahomes as equals. Mahomes plays in an offense that is light years ahead of Allen's in terms of coaching and design.

When your average TD is throwing the ball about 10 feet ... then you're in a QB friendly offense.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Have you ever considered that different individuals have different conditions under which they can perform optimally? Some people can work/learn 24/7, and the more time they devote to it, the better the outcome. However, others need a break from time to time to be in their optimal shape when required. There is a reason why European companies require their employees to take vacations.

My wife and I were lucky and have now both tenured faculty positions at a research university ranked around #100 nationwide. We are both successful in our research resulting in publications and grants. My wife is working 24/7, and she would not have it any other way. When our two kids were small, I was actually often charged to take them on a weekend hiking trip so that Mama could work. 

On the other hand, my optimal schedule is quite different. Since my PhD thesis 35 years ago, I have been working all day Monday to Friday; however, I need the weekends to recuperate and do something completely different, such as kayaking, birdwatching, or taking the kids for a hike. There had been occasions, mostly due to deadlines, where I had to also write proposals on the weekend; they were not my best attempts.

In this context, there are a few questions I would like to ask you. I should emphasize that I do not expect any answer.

1. Do you think that your own job performance is optimal?

2. If not, would a salary increase improve it?

3. At your work, do you supervise other employees? Do you have to grade their performance? If yes, are you more strict or lenient?

4. Do you have any specific suggestions where you think that Josh should put more effort in?

On 7/19/2024 at 7:22 AM, Gugny said:

I am firmly in the “Josh Allen is a top 3 QB” camp. 

But I also believe that he could be closer to the best in the NFL if he could keep his head on for an entire season. 

I think he lacks maturity and mental strength. My only knocks on him since day one. 

That level of maturity and mental toughness is what separates Mahomes from Allen. 

Mahomes matured more quickly than Allen. 

Hence the rings. 

That and his field goal kicker, defense, and WRs actually make plays in big games 

19 minutes ago, DrW said:

Have you ever considered that different individuals have different conditions under which they can perform optimally? Some people can work/learn 24/7, and the more time they devote to it, the better the outcome. However, others need a break from time to time to be in their optimal shape when required. There is a reason why European companies require their employees to take vacations.

My wife and I were lucky and have now both tenured faculty positions at a research university ranked around #100 nationwide. We are both successful in our research resulting in publications and grants. My wife is working 24/7, and she would not have it any other way. When our two kids were small, I was actually often charged to take them on a weekend hiking trip so that Mama could work. 

On the other hand, my optimal schedule is quite different. Since my PhD thesis 35 years ago, I have been working all day Monday to Friday; however, I need the weekends to recuperate and do something completely different, such as kayaking, birdwatching, or taking the kids for a hike. There had been occasions, mostly due to deadlines, where I had to also write proposals on the weekend; they were not my best attempts.

In this context, there are a few questions I would like to ask you. I should emphasize that I do not expect any answer.

1. Do you think that your own job performance is optimal?

2. If not, would a salary increase improve it?

3. At your work, do you supervise other employees? Do you have to grade their performance? If yes, are you more strict or lenient?

4. Do you have any specific suggestions where you think that Josh should put more effort in?

You’re talking to a dedicated troll that roots for another team. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Allen has 221 total touchdowns in his career and he just turned 28.. Dan Fouts had 254 in his entire career. Josh is a lock for the Hall of Fame.  Since Dan literally has even worse playoff stats than Josh and the same amount of Super Bowl rings and appearances. 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1