Anonymous NFL Exec: "Josh Allen is one of the more overrated players in the NFL"

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

That excuse isn't going to work for Allen any better than it worked for Marino.

I wouldn't call that the only reason.  Mahomes is a great QB.  If he retired today, he'd be widely considered a top 5 guy All-Time.  Patrick has proven to have the ability to adapt to what a defense gives him.  From slinging the ball all over the field for 5,000 yards and 50 TDs, to dinking and dunking.  He just gets the job done.

They put the stats up of he and Mahomes over the past 4 seasons and the 21 additional turnovers for Allen is jarring.  

Allen is still great and likely a future Hall of Famer.  He's still got time to collect a couple of rings and MVPs.  

So are the 20+ more total TD's Allen has over Mahomes in that same time period. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The problem is not Allen.

The problem is Sean "Pull defeat from the Jaws of Victory" McDermott

💯 

We just seen Lamar win MVP mainly because of his record, how many games did MCDs D squander this season where Josh put them ahead in the final minutes, 4 or 5?

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BananaB said:

💯

We just seen Lamar win MVP mainly because of his record, how many games did MCDs D squander this season where Josh put them ahead in the final minutes, 4 or 5?

If Bills don’t get a 12 men on the field penalty in the Broncos game, and our soft as butter defense doesn’t allow Mac freakin’ Jones to march down the field for a game winning 2-minute drill TD drive, then Allen very well may have won MVP.

It’s entirely narrative driven based on what I can tell.

• Like (+1) 1

All I know is we drafted Allen in 2018... yada yada yada, 63.2 career completion %, 22,703 passing yards,  3611 rushing yards, 167 passing TDs, 53 rushing TDs, 64 Wins and 5 consecutive playoff births in 6 seasons.

i would not trade Allen for anything. Nothing to debate about it. 

Allen is the ultimate team guy, is an extrememly likeable human, and the reality is he can ball. Call him whatever you want, his positives greatly outweigh any negative perceptions 

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Is it Allen holding this team back from Superbowls? It’s the ***** coaching. Buffalo fans know this, it’s all everyone else that believe it’s Allen. *****! He put them ahead of the Chiefs with 13 seconds and lost. This past playoffs the O held the ball for close to 40 minutes, scored the most points against the Chiefs all playoffs and they lost. It’s McDs ***** D in playoffs holding this ***** team from winning Championships.

Hey I’m with you in some ways. I’d much rather take Billy B over McD. 

It’s still doesn’t excuse Allen’s weaknesses which are game management and decision making. If Allen has 1/4 less turnovers, we likely would already have a Super Bowl and home field advantages. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Josh is a special talent, but he’s not without flaws.  When game planning against him, the strategy is pretty clear.  You try not to let him kill you with the home run plays.  If you eliminate those, you can wait until he gets careless with the ball and then seize on it.  Coaches know that they’re going to get a few opportunities to take the ball away and that they have to capitalize on his bad decisions, fumbles, etc.  Nobody ever went into a game against Manning or Brady with a strategy of sitting back and waiting for them to do something stupid.  Now those guys couldn’t make the huge plays that Josh can, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement in Josh’s game if he can reduce the amount of times he makes bad decisions or neglects to protect the ball.

There's a bit of chicken and egg conundrum here... if his WRs catch the ball in the clutch, something they've struggled with since Gabe Davis was elevated to WR2, he's fine. Once they start dropping balls and killing drives I think he starts feeling the pressure and it's bombs away. I think Ken Dorsey's biggest weakness was encouraging this as an offensive philosophy instead of doing something to fix it. Once Brady got the running game working and Shakir and Kincaid started catching everything thrown their way he demonstrated that he could be methodical and control games in the stretch run of last season, something he was also able to do with Diggs, Beasely and Brown/Sanders in their Bills prime. 

The only big game he didn't step up in was against the Bengals in the playoffs. His "failure", likely the perception that leads to this "overrated" nonsense, has been playing on a team with a defense that consistently plays soft AF when it counts the most.

33 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

Hey I’m with you in some ways. I’d much rather take Billy B over McD. 

It’s still doesn’t excuse Allen’s weaknesses which are game management and decision making. If Allen has 1/4 less turnovers, we likely would already have a Super Bowl and home field advantages. 

The man has 4 INTs in 10 playoff games. He has 3 fumbles in the playoffs but lost none of them. Turnovers for Allen in the playoffs pretty much don't even factor here.

The offense during the loss to the Cheifs in the playoffs was heavily skewed in favor of the Bills for time of possesion, I would have to look at more playoff games with Allen and look at time of possesion, but that tells me he managed the game

The McD argument has some merit though.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

Josh Allen doesn’t come in second in total TO’s last year and I think he wins MVP going away tbh.

Disagree.  You assume that they are appropriately weighing the correct metric (TO's) here.  The fact that they have given two MVP's to one of the least successful active playoff QB's out there tells me that they aren't valuing what is truly important in awarding an MVP. 

I made a thread on this topic yesterday but it seems to be gone. Anyway, absolutely ridiculous take by whatever NFL executive uttered such stupid words. If anything, Allen is underrated. He often does not get the credit he deserves.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

As Ddaryl noted TO's have not been a problem for Allen in the playoffs.  They have not contributed significantly to even one of the Bills/Allen's 5 playoff losses. 

Sure, in the regular season Allen has a relatively high number of TO's but it's obvious from the results that his TD producton more then compensates.  Consider that over the last four regular seasons Allen has:

*  a 48 - 12 record.

*  led the Bills to 4 Division titles

*  Earned a #2 seed in 3 of those 4 seasons and had #3 seed in the 4th season.

So his regular season results have been excellent in spite of his high number of TO's.  Now you can say that had Allen had fewer TO's during the regular season the Bills may have had a couple of bye weeks & #1 seeds.  But that doesn't seem to have helped Lamar Jackson out has it? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Disagree.  You assume that they are appropriately weighing the correct metric (TO's) here.  The fact that they have given two MVP's to one of the least successful active playoff QB's out there tells me that they aren't valuing what is truly important in awarding an MVP. 

MVP is a regular season award. Playoffs are irrelevant.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Right, kind of cowardice to stay anonymous 

Says the Anonymous exec who is kicking himself for not drafting Allen😄

In spirit I agree - though the only way for ESPN to get unfiltered opinions is to tell people they'll be anonymous.

Still, I think this guy was probably talking out his butt.  Unless he works for the Chiefs, if Allen became a free agent, he'd  probably study Allen's tape and then try to sign him for $75m/year.  Assuming the anonymous exec is actually somebody in a position of authority, which might be a faulty assumption.  

• Like (+1) 1

To add to the trolling, this guy from Fox Sports thinks it was Brandon Beane who said this. AND, get this, he said it because he wants to trade him.

Laughable and trolling at its finest.

I’m glad training camp is around the corner.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, eball said:

I'm sorry it's difficult to understand.  The 13 seconds game.  Last year's Chiefs game.  I didn't say he would have rings, I said with a couple of breaks he would have had chances to play for rings.

Ok I thought you meant rings and not chances at them. Like most people, including Dan Orlovsky, have said. 

Let’s go with to your ‘chance at rings’. The 13 sec game and last year’s game were in the divisional. A few plays could’ve definitely led us to victory to advance…wait for it…to the AFCCG. No Super Bowls are given in those games as far as I know. Now if your position is we’d advanced and still had hope to win it all therefore ‘a chance at rings’ would be still be applicable then I agree. But then if that’s the case then every year in the playoffs would be ‘a chance at rings’. It would not require a few plays to make it true because we’ve been in the tournament.

My point was we’ve not been close enough to the Super Bowl for any statement of a few plays away from rings. I don’t think that’s an invalid take. 

Anyway it doesn’t matter. Hopefully we’ll be in a real situation to play for a ring this season! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

To add to the trolling, this guy from Fox Sports thinks it was Brandon Beane who said this. AND, get this, he said it because he wants to trade him.

Laughable and trolling at its finest.

I’m glad training camp is around the corner.

Go Bills!

How do these people have an audience at this point

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

As to the first, again, some have said that, I don't make it a point to bookmark things that I do not agree with.  It's out there in places.  It's not a majority opinion nor did I say that it was.  

As to the second part, ... excuses.  :) 

To your bullet points:  On one hand we went 6-1 because of Brady.  OTOH he was in Dorsey's system.  Quite the conundrum there.  

On the second, did you actually look at the numbers here?  Clearly not.  Diggs had four drops on both watches.  Davis, whose drops were the lowest % of his career last year and well within the range of average, had 3 under Dorsey and 0 under Brady.  Either way, you're suggesting that Allen's plummeting to 85 rating and 60% was due to a drop or two?  Really?  

To your third, that's simply not true.  The average per-game passing D rankings were nearly identical from first 10 to last 7.  Both played divisional teams once.  I've addressed that statistically many times here.  

The fourth is what it is.  

:) 

Well, if Allen finishes the season with an 85.5 rating and 60% complete and the 24 passing TDs that he projected to in his regular season games under Brady, don't count on winning too many games.  

Otherwise, you're really crediting us winning games on offensive scoring outputs of 24, 20, 20, and 14 for four of those 6 wins then? 

Let's do this, suppose we take those scoring totals over an entire season.  How many games do you think we'd win if four each of our games we scored 24, eight more 20, and four more 14?  

It's rhetorical, simply throwing that out there.  ;) 

Just can’t do stats in football like that. Each game has too many independent variables variables going in a game, and their dependencies are impossible to predict or compare. 

Analytics is most difficult apply, much less use, Of the four major sports. Right?